What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

So, I took the bullet for my co-workers, and decided to watch The Idol to see just how bad it is. I’ll start off with the few pros. It’s aesthetically gorgeous. Sam L (from Euphoria) delivers with his magical eye for color, lighting, composition and knowing how to evoke a feeling with each, carefully selected, angle. Second, the music is pretty good (at capturing the feel they are going for). The hyper-sexual electro trap beats compliment The Idol’s erotic visuals. Third, Lily Rose has a bright future with her Sharon Tate-like looks. She occasionally does well, despite only being able to shine during a handful of moments. This is mostly due to the show’s major cons: the script sucks and The Weekend is awful. The Idol is so cringy, but not in a good way. At first, I kind of dug the show. It was a gorgeous  train wreck. By the end, I felt like a dog being put out of its misery. On a side note, the “too sexual for tv” criticism The Idol has received has been blown out of proportion. It’s not even that graphic. It’s the cringy and implied  “kinky sex” that’s the true rapist of the senses. 

One line did crack me up, because it was so politically incorrect: “I’m shitting more blood than a kid at Epstein island.” 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

dude...i can't wait. curb is the greatest comedy ever.  i still watch scene over and over (from last season). shit cracks me up.     

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

So, I took the bullet for my co-workers, and decided to watch The Idol to see just how bad it is. I’ll start off with the few pros. It’s aesthetically gorgeous. Sam L (from Euphoria) delivers with his magical eye for color, lighting, composition and knowing how to evoke a feeling with each, carefully selected, angle. Second, the music is pretty good (at capturing the feel they are going for). The hyper-sexual electro trap beats compliment The Idol’s erotic visuals. Third, Lily Rose has a bright future with her Sharon Tate-like looks. She occasionally does well, despite only being able to shine during a handful of moments. This is mostly due to the show’s major cons: the script sucks and The Weekend is awful. The Idol is so cringy, but not in a good way. At first, I kind of dug the show. It was a gorgeous  train wreck. By the end, I felt like a dog being put out of its misery. On a side note, the “too sexual for tv” criticism The Idol has received has been blown out of proportion. It’s not even that graphic. It’s the cringy and implied  “kinky sex” that’s the true rapist of the senses. 

One line did crack me up, because it was so politically incorrect: “I’m shitting more blood than a kid at Epstein island.” 

:D Thats pretty damn funny

• Haha 1

Watching "Money, explained"on Netflix, I find it to be the answer to people not being thaught about financing in school. Each episode is concise and not a minute is wasted in teaching viewers about the history and current effects of each episode's topic such as credit cards, gambling or student loans.

Finally got to the first 3 episodes of S6 of Black Mirror. Joan is Awful was definitely the best of the bunch. The latter two were good but a little predictable with the plot. Aaron Paul, Josh Hartnett, and Kate Mara were very good in the space one. 

Also, holy shit how fine is Salma Hayek still. She is just absolutely timeless and was legitimately hilarious in her episode. :lawd:

22 hours ago, z,warrior said:

Watching "Money, explained"on Netflix, I find it to be the answer to people not being thaught about financing in school. Each episode is concise and not a minute is wasted in teaching viewers about the history and current effects of each episode's topic such as credit cards, gambling or student loans.

high school economics class should just have that netflix series played on a tv, it would be a massive benefit to people. no so much to corporations.

• Thanks 1

Speaking of Joan is awful, some Disney exec got coked up watching black mirror and came up with an idea. 

Let this be a lesson to people that think corporations are idealistic and virtue signal because they are run by coastal blue hair self-martyrs. They care about money more than people. They care more about efficient movie making than good movie making. 

At some point they would love to just type in prompts and get AI generated scripts, digital actors, music and just incubate movies/shows. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

I was surprised to see IGN give the 2nd season of that show a perfect 10. I had never even heard about it until I saw their review.

I remember a lot of people loving season 1. I tried to watch it, a while back, but its frenetic first impression was too much for me. It reminded me of my restaurant years. But, I’m curious to see where it goes now that the characters are slowly developing.  I started re-watching it because I hear the Christmas dinner episode (season 2)  is one of the best pieces of television. 

• Upvote 1

So The Bear reminds me of The Wire, in the sense it took me 3 eps to connect with it. Both shows also took multiple attempts to get into (The Wire took 3!). So far, The Bear is a tasty dish, feeling closer to the 5 star experience it was hyped to be. 

Also, I know I mentioned the slick editing, but damn….the color grading for the nighttime scenes is an optical orgasm. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

I remember a lot of people loving season 1. I tried to watch it, a while back, but its frenetic first impression was too much for me. It reminded me of my restaurant years. But, I’m curious to see where it goes now that the characters are slowly developing.  I started re-watching it because I hear the Christmas dinner episode (season 2)  is one of the best pieces of television. 

I think the cooking theme is interesting. I might check it out at some point.

BTW, I started Lost. What a coincidence that Boyd is in this :ben: 

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Yup. Also, you’ll see where From gets its finale inspirations from, specifically seasons 1 and 3. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

Yup. Also, you’ll see where From gets its finale inspirations from, specifically seasons 1 and 3. 

There's a lot more going on with the story and characters than I remembered or expected. I feel like the show must have been pretty ambitious for its time.

• aitch 1
1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

There's a lot more going on with the story and characters than I remembered or expected. I feel like the show must have been pretty ambitious for its time.

Oh yeah! It was groundbreaking! 

• aitch 1
1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

Where are you watching Lost? I used to watch it on Freevee but I stopped because the ads were getting annoying

I just finished “Eat the Rich: GameStop saga” documentary on Netflix only after finding out about the whole thing when I saw a trailer for a movie being made about it called Dumb Money. I lived under a rock during Covid years when it was happening.

10/10 , the documentary explained everything including questions I didn’t even know I had. It’s a three part mini series and the bottom line to get out of it is; Do NOT use Robinhood.