Sony CEO on VR: ‘You Will See The Change And Improvement’

Dat PS5 VR. :glad:

Sony CEO Kenichiro Yoshida is confident that issues with current VR headsets will be improved upon in the future.

Speaking to The Independent at the IFA technology conference in Berlin last week, Yoshida outlined many of the common problems with early VR headsets like the company’s own PlayStation VR (PSVR), noting that the tech was “still evolving” at the moment. He noted that the inability to see the world around you when in VR could be “a little bit dangerous” and that motion sickness was still prevalent.

“So there is a lot of room of room to improve in VR experiences and you will see the change and the improvement,” Yoshida said.

Yoshida’s comments weren’t specific to PSVR itself, but his words were certainly relevant to the headset, which features a limited 180 degree tracking system for its motion controllers. We’ve got our fingers crossed that the company is planning to improve upon that feature and many, many others in a successor to PSVR, if the company ever decides to make one.

Also during the interview, Yoshida noted that mixed reality technology was “one potential evolution of VR”, likely referring to headsets like Microsoft’s HoloLens and the recently-launched Magic Leap One. That makes us wonder if Sony has any of its own experiments going on in that space right now and if they could at all be linked to the PlayStation brand. As PS4 enters the later stages of its lifecycle and speculation about a possible PS5 begins to ramp up we’ll be very interested to see where the company also takes this tech.

Next-gen VR is going to be incredible. Right now it's really held back by the inadequate hardware it's running on. I expect a lot of ports to come to VR next-gen, ensuring a good constant stream of support.

44 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Next-gen VR is going to be incredible. Right now it's really held back by the inadequate hardware it's running on. I expect a lot of ports to come to VR next-gen, ensuring a good constant stream of support.

Porting those 2-hour games is just  gonna push VR in the same mini-game territory :laff:

Knowing Sony games won't even be backwards compatible :fatcruise:

1 hour ago, bhytre said:

Porting those 2-hour games is just  gonna push VR in the same mini-game territory :laff:

Knowing Sony games won't even be backwards compatible :fatcruise:

No, I mean regular games getting VR ports/support. Like Skyrim, Wipeout and Resident Evil did. I expect a bunch of them to get ported as the hardware will be more suited for running most games. PS4 base hardware is simply too weak and there's too much sacrifice requires to make regular games works in VR.

Like I'm pretty sure Ace Combat 7's entire game would be playable in VR, if the hardware could handle it.

Easy porting means more games.

I don't expect PSVR 2 to be backward compatible. Sony is going to ditch the camera and PS Moves, creating a huge issue when it comes to BC.

Edited by Ramza
18 minutes ago, Ramza said:

No, I mean regular games getting VR ports/support. Like Skyrim, Wipeout and Resident Evil did. I expect a bunch of them to get ported as the hardware will be more suited for running most games. PS4 base hardware is simply too weak and there's too much sacrifice requires to make regular games works in VR.

Like I'm pretty sure Ace Combat 7's entire game would be playable in VR, if the hardware could handle it.

Easy porting means more games.

I don't expect PSVR 2 to be backward compatible. Sony is going to ditch the camera and PS Moves, creating a huge issue when it comes to BC.

Well for regular sp games they really are gonna need a lot more horse power, it's even close to a miracle to see something like RE7 on PSVR but pretty shameless for Sony to not have a single title that rivals it.

And this is why I hate Sony, they're just a business-business and don't give a shit about their fans while they often send out the message that they supposedly do :reg:

Their peripheral support has always been shit, and they quickly act like the product doesn't exist when it's not doing as well as they hoped it would.

A console-priced peripheral where the games won't be compatible on the next one? They're gonna fail again with PSVR2 and I certainly hope they do :pavarotti:

Time for MS to step in and show them how it's done :bate:

1 minute ago, bhytre said:

Well for regular sp games they really are gonna need a lot more horse power, it's even close to a miracle to see something like RE7 on PSVR but pretty shameless for Sony to not have a single title that rivals it.

And this is why I hate Sony, they're just a business-business and don't give a shit about their fans while they often send out the message that they supposedly do :reg:

Their peripheral support has always been shit, and they quickly act like the product doesn't exist when it's not doing as well as they hoped it would.

A console-priced peripheral where the games won't be compatible on the next one? They're gonna fail again with PSVR2 and I certainly hope they do :pavarotti:

Time for MS to step in and show them how it's done :bate:

Yet Sony is the only one doing VR on consoles. They also produced a bunch of solid VR titles and continues to do so. My favorite PSVR game is a first party game so whatever you say, pal.

Wouldn't mind MS to join the VR market but it's not gonna happen this gen.

3 minutes ago, Aza Team 2019 said:

Phil said they won't be doing VR. Makes sense with the with their streaming future that will never ever be good enough to handle VR.

No one ever said that, they've said it's still something they're interested in but there's challenges and issues that they want rectified before an investment is even considered.

My assumption is this has to do with affordability, wireless capability and form factor. I mean if you look at Hololens they have an entirely self-contained wireless system with its own hardware and software operation that's smaller and lighter than any VR solution.

They obviously want this to all be the right fit before action is taken.