18% of developers working on a next-gen game (2% next-gen console exclusives)

Just now, Ike said:

I assume they mean PS5 and Scarlett. 

I don’t see a reason for either MS or Sony to ever release a next gen system (from a business stand point). They can just keep milking their current products and removing the oldest system each time. 

Hate hate HATE the model from a consumer aspect but I don’t know why they’d waste so much r&d $$ when they can just keep doing this 

11 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I want it because there's literally no reason to release sooner and we'll get better hardware out of it. 

I've been back here now 7 mos. and this is probably the first thing we agree on. :haloben:

• Haha 1
Just now, Team 2019 said:

How does this matter at all with consoles having iterations and premium SKUs. 

This generation was unique, there's no saying that's going to continue next-gen. I doubt very much that there will a later released SKU on either side. The smartest idea would be to release a premium priced "mid-gen" system right out of the gate alongside the normal console so both parties are taken care of and there would be no need for anything else down the line.

I mean an Xbox One X similar console could have been released at the start of the gen, it would have been expensive but they could have more or less done it. 

End of Feb 2013 after PS4 reveal. So it's actually even more. 

Console Development Stable At A Lower Base
In terms of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo, the survey found Microsoft at the top, albeit from lower numbers, with 13.2% currently developing for the Xbox 360 and close to 14% planning their next game on the 360. For the PlayStation 3, 13% are releasing their current game for the console, and 12.4% their next game.
In terms of the Nintendo Wii U, only 4.6% of developers are currently making a Wii U game, and just 6.4% of our surveyed developers are making their next game for the console. (Finally, an identical 11% of respondents are making their next game for upcoming Sony and Microsoft platforms.)

https://www.gdconf.com/news/gdc_state_of_the_industry_rese

Edited by Team 2019