BFV sold 7.3 million copies last year

5 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Firestorm comes out next month too, that should give it a boost when it comes to sales. Between that and Apex Legends EA is really becoming a force to be reckoned with when it comes to BR.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, madmaltese said:

yet still missed their targets and underperformed according to them. Seriously if 7m isn't enough to meet target then maybe your expenses and expectations are just too high. 

They're over spending in marketing because they have no faith in their own products or fanbase. Typical think tank corporation trash.

Massive publishers like CoD, EA, Ubisoft are a joke. They're spending more on marketing than some other publishers spends on their games budget and their softwares still suck ass. Miyazaki could make 3 more Souls games with only the marketing budget of BFV.

11 hours ago, madmaltese said:

yet still missed their targets and underperformed according to them. Seriously if 7m isn't enough to meet target then maybe your expenses and expectations are just too high. 

This sentiment works for a new franchise that moved 4-million units or a new entry in a series sells 6-million and breaks franchise records, but not when a franchise has had success well beyond that figure. Battlefield V is selling at half the pace that Battlefield 1 did.

It also doesn't say anything about not meeting expenses as you can be disappointed in the amount of profit generated. It's all in the opportunity cost.

1 hour ago, Hot Sauce said:

This sentiment works for a new franchise that moved 4-million units or a new entry in a series sells 6-million and breaks franchise records, but not when a franchise has had success well beyond that figure. Battlefield V is selling at half the pace that Battlefield 1 did.

It also doesn't say anything about not meeting expenses as you can be disappointed in the amount of profit generated. It's all in the opportunity cost.

It has everything to do with investors to be honest. It's such a shit business model. You make promises, you fail to meet your quotas, your stocks drops.

I don't understand why every fucking gaming company are on Wallstreet with open stock. I mean it makes sense for a huge corporation like EA but smaller studios and publishers? Pfft, might as well be independent or own the majority of your assets.

58 minutes ago, Ramza said:

It has everything to do with investors to be honest. It's such a shit business model. You make promises, you fail to meet your quotas, your stocks drops.

It happens with private businesses, too. People always want growth. Go with the tame projections and get fired because you aren't growing the business. Go with the higher projections and get fired if they don't get met. There's a fine line CEOs have to walk. Sticking towards the higher end of projections will at least get you fired down the line when they don't get met rather than before you ever get a chance to exceed them.

58 minutes ago, Ramza said:

I don't understand why every fucking gaming company are on Wallstreet with open stock. I mean it makes sense for a huge corporation like EA but smaller studios and publishers? Pfft, might as well be independent or own the majority of your assets.

Same reason any company does it: they want the capital to grow their business.

Going public is equity financing (as is selling equity privately, though with that route at a point you're forced to go public), where the other option is debt financing (loans). There's pros and cons to both, but companies (especially smaller ones that don't have access to the same debt financing as larger ones because the larger ones are less risky to loan money to) generally go the equity financing route because it raises more capital than they're qualified to borrow and doesn't need to be paid back, which would undercut growth. 

Edited by Hot Sauce
  • Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

It happens with private businesses, too. People always want growth. Go with the tame projections and get fired because you aren't growing the business. Go with the higher projections and get fired if they don't get met. There's a fine line CEOs have to walk. Sticking towards the higher end of projections will at least get you fired down the line when they don't get met rather than before you ever get a chance to exceed them.

Same reason any company does it: they want the capital to grow their business.

Going public is equity financing (as is selling equity privately, though with that route at a point you're forced to go public), where the other option is debt financing (loans). There's pros and cons to both, but companies (especially smaller ones that don't have access to the same debt financing as larger ones because the larger ones are less risky to loan money to) generally go the equity financing route because it raises more capital than they're qualified to borrow and doesn't need to be paid back, which would undercut growth. 

I don't understand why a small business couldn't save it's profits and use it for further projects. No one is forcing you to take further loans (passed the initial loans to start your business) if your initial cheap indie project made you enough money to finance the next, so on and so forth.

This comes from someone with 0 debts so I have a very different view on how to do things financially.  I'm %100 independent and don't need to be a slave debts, I'd carry the same philosophy into a business as much as I possibly could.

1 hour ago, Ramza said:

I don't understand why a small business couldn't save it's profits and use it for further projects. No one is forcing you to take further loans (passed the initial loans to start your business) if your initial cheap indie project made you enough money to finance the next, so on and so forth.

There's nothing stopping somebody from just doing that. Lots of independent developers move from one game to the next. Those guys don't come close to qualifying for an IPO, though.

20 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

There's nothing stopping somebody from just doing that. Lots of independent developers move from one game to the next. Those guys don't come close to qualifying for an IPO, though.

But if they keep growing eventually they will and that's when shit goes down.

And then their product fails to meet sales predictions because the marketing think tank told the devs that their market study shows that they have to include more female and black people in their WWII for the sake of appealing to people who didn't care for their product in the first place. :laff:  And then spend over a $100m USD on marketing your crappy shit because it would never sell that much otherwise. :D