Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MalaXmaS

What's the 8gig patch for? RDR2 related. GD get your cuban ass in here

Recommended Posts

I just got the game delivered and now I am installing it.

However it said game needed an 8 gig update which I rejected and let the game install.

Holy shit, it comes in 2 discs. :deader:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, i think it's online related. but yeah, the world is massive and dense, hence the two disks. your mind will be blown when you see this on your tv. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, kokujin said:

The entire game is not open world and some missions on rails, right? Or does the on rail gimmick stop soon? 

On rails? What do you mean? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, -GD- said:

On rails? What do you mean? 

Huge sections where you have to traverse slowly through a set path, if you stray far away, fission mailed.  Usually you are listening to dialogue amongst characters but almost always held to not doing much non linear movement. In this games case, just watching some cool animations.  On rails also means coke but not that, you lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, kokujin said:

Huge sections where you have to traverse slowly through a set path, if you stray far away, fission mailed.  Usually you are listening to dialogue amongst characters but almost always held to not doing much non linear movement. In this games case, just watching some cool animations.  On rails also means coke but not that, you lol 

All open world games have "missions" that you have to do precisely as it says or the mission fails.  GTA is like that too.  That is not on rails.  Derp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kokujin said:

Huge sections where you have to traverse slowly through a set path, if you stray far away, fission mailed.  Usually you are listening to dialogue amongst characters but almost always held to not doing much non linear movement. In this games case, just watching some cool animations.  On rails also means coke but not that, you lol 

oh...yeah..it had missions like that, but there are many where you are solo too. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, lostfool said:

All open world games have "missions" that you have to do precisely as it says or the mission fails.  GTA is like that too.  That is not on rails.  Derp

You are really dumb man... learn to read the whole point. Aren't enough pills to not make you a moron. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, kokujin said:

You are really dumb man... learn to read the whole point. Aren't enough pills to not make you a moron. 

You are an idiot.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lostfool said:

You are an idiot.  

I talked about not being able to do anything but walk a line, and hear dialogue. I wasn't talking about restricted missions. You are the idiot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LowT ain't wrong. For a game that prides itself on it's open world and feeling real and alive the mission structure in the game truly is abysmal. On rails is harsh but in essence very true for the missions. It is far more restrictive than nearly any other current open world I can think of. Mission failures for trying to flank an enemy.... mission failures for moving anything outside of the straight line the devs want you to walk on. Forced scoping, forced needless walking, 'stealth' sections where you don't really have options but just the one route. There is a multitude of these in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

LowT ain't wrong. For a game that prides itself on it's open world and feeling real and alive the mission structure in the game truly is abysmal. On rails is harsh but in essence very true for the missions. It is far more restrictive than nearly any other current open world I can think of. Mission failures for trying to flank an enemy.... mission failures for moving anything outside of the straight line the devs want you to walk on. Forced scoping, forced needless walking, 'stealth' sections where you don't really have options but just the one route. There is a multitude of these in the game.

Meh.

I am used to it.

Traditional Rockstar formula.

Didn't stop the GTA games from being excellent.

RDR2 will be my first RDR game. 

Heard RDR was awesome too but I never played it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MalaXmaS said:

Meh.

I am used to it.

Traditional Rockstar formula.

Didn't stop the GTA games from being excellent.

RDR2 will be my first RDR game. 

Heard RDR was awesome too but I never played it.

It actually makes more sense to play this first, RDR is a direct continuation of this game. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

LowT ain't wrong. For a game that prides itself on it's open world and feeling real and alive the mission structure in the game truly is abysmal. On rails is harsh but in essence very true for the missions. It is far more restrictive than nearly any other current open world I can think of. Mission failures for trying to flank an enemy.... mission failures for moving anything outside of the straight line the devs want you to walk on. Forced scoping, forced needless walking, 'stealth' sections where you don't really have options but just the one route. There is a multitude of these in the game.

I guess I’m so used to rockstar games that I don’t notice it as much. But yeah, I was just playing it, and I tried to meander a bit from the mission area and I died lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But the world, when not on a mission, is unparalleled in scope and freedom. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MalaXmaS said:

Meh.

I am used to it.

Traditional Rockstar formula.

Didn't stop the GTA games from being excellent.

RDR2 will be my first RDR game. 

Heard RDR was awesome too but I never played it.

Traditional Rockstar formula is spot on. Just good to know what to expect going in because while it may be years ahead technically, it's years behind from a gameplay aspect.

 

And playing this one first is fine, it's a prequel anyway.

40 minutes ago, -GD- said:

I guess I’m so used to rockstar games that I don’t notice it as much. But yeah, I was just playing it, and I tried to meander a bit from the mission area and I died lol

I usually play games fairly simplistically so didn't notice it early on, but I tried to flank an enemy once later in the game and got a mission failed and was stunned. So then I just tried to do little deviations now and again and was surprised just how restricted it is. Then missions came in that forced a specific setting on you. There is a mission with the forced scope sniper where you can't unzoom and I couldn't fn find the last enemy and couldn't unscope to see where he is so spent forever zoomed in looking for this fucker. Got so frustrated lol

38 minutes ago, -GD- said:

But the world, when not on a mission, is unparalleled in scope and freedom. 

Yeah it's actually this juxtaposition that makes it so jarring. I don't get why they couldn't have any of this in it's missions since it is there in such amazing scope outside of the missions. My fav parts of the game all came from things I discovered myself outside of the story and just how well the encounters and environmental story telling was and how perfectly the world and people in it reacted to me. Then I start a mission and I'm back to PS2 level design lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, madmaltese said:

Traditional Rockstar formula is spot on. Just good to know what to expect going in because while it may be years ahead technically, it's years behind from a gameplay aspect.

 

And playing this one first is fine, it's a prequel anyway.

I usually play games fairly simplistically so didn't notice it early on, but I tried to flank an enemy once later in the game and got a mission failed and was stunned. So then I just tried to do little deviations now and again and was surprised just how restricted it is. Then missions came in that forced a specific setting on you. There is a mission with the forced scope sniper where you can't unzoom and I couldn't fn find the last enemy and couldn't unscope to see where he is so spent forever zoomed in looking for this fucker. Got so frustrated lol

Yeah it's actually this juxtaposition that makes it so jarring. I don't get why they couldn't have any of this in it's missions since it is there in such amazing scope outside of the missions. My fav parts of the game all came from things I discovered myself outside of the story and just how well the encounters and environmental story telling was and how perfectly the world and people in it reacted to me. Then I start a mission and I'm back to PS2 level design lol

That’s a great way to sum it up. The exploration makes it feel like a living, breathing interactive world, but the mission designs are very archaic, reminding you it’s a game. It is quite jarring, now that I think about it. Fortunately, I’m able to overlook the flaws for the overall experience. Episode 6 is excellent btw. 

 

Edit:sorry @MalaXmaS

Edited by -GD-
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×