Brad Sams, Xbox Insider from Industry analyst Thurott.com, talks more about MS's 3rd party, streaming future (Selling out their fans games to Nintendo confirmed, Forza Motorsport getting a native game on Switch developed by MicroDick)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another big XBox dedicated channel, dude switches to a Playstation channel.      

The few remaining lemmings all like “great news”  

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Pureis said:

I guess this means Xbox is bowing out of the console war and helping Nintendo to fight Sony. With Nintendo's massive fanbase and their 1st party combined with Xbox's 3rd party and MS's huge warchest to buy up studios, Sony could finally be forced out of the console wars. Win-win for MS and Nintendo.

:kaz: 

8 hours ago, Pureis said:

I guess this means Xbox is bowing out of the console war and helping Nintendo to fight Sony. With Nintendo's massive fanbase and their 1st party combined with Xbox's 3rd party and MS's huge warchest to buy up studios, Sony could finally be forced out of the console wars. Win-win for MS and Nintendo.

Your main hardware competitor loses all its exclusives and Sony is going out of business? :D

This is a dream scenario for the XBox Vs PlayStation hardware fight for Sony.

8 hours ago, Pureis said:

It doesn't get anymore delusional than this. :mj:

12 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Brad didn't want to commit to it, or even say it, he wants to be more sure. But basically MS might be meeting Live and game pass fee into one on XBox. Which makes total sense

Did I not say that that would be how they get PC gamers to "pay for Xbox Live"?

Yes, I did. :reg: 

10 hours ago, Jon2B said:

I'm not being sarcastic .

They are buying all of these studios to make money by putting them on every platform that allows it .

Why not make a cheap Forza game and have it sell a few million on switch ? 

Ms is in the business of selling gamepass everywhere they can .

For Xbox fanboys that sucks but it's clear Ms doesn't care about Xbox fanboys , they want a piece of that switch and mobile pie 

i think this is their strategy too..ad it's a good one. gamepass is awesome. 

12 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

As long as a few stay on... and there's always a few :shrug: 

Assume GamePass by itself is $10, and GamePass + Xbox Live is $15.

In scenario A, 100 GamePass subscribers generates $1000 a month, and the vast majority of them continue to stay through month #2 (90%), then that's another $900.

In Scenario B, if you force them to buy GamePass + XBL for $15/month, 100 people pay $15 for a total of $1500 for the first month, you lose alot more people entering month #2 (40% retention), then month #2 generates $600.

You have slightly more money at the end of month #2, but you are at greater risk of losing more people, and each lost subscriber deals a harsher blow because the pool of subscribers is smaller.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

In scenario A, 100 GamePass subscribers generates $1000 a month, and the vast majority of them continue to stay through month #2 (90%), then that's another $900.

In Scenario B, if you force them to buy GamePass + XBL for $15/month, 100 people pay $15 for a total of $1500 for the first month, you lose alot more people entering month #2 (40% retention), then month #2 generates $600.

You have slightly more money at the end of month #2, but you are at greater risk of losing more people, and each lost subscriber deals a harsher blow because the pool of subscribers is smaller.

We had an insider post that their profit margins on hardware are $8 average.

1 minute ago, Team 2019 said:

We had an insider post that their profit margins on hardware are $8 average.

And that is why hardware is important.

Its a salesman who has stuck his foot in your door.  The chances are you buying an item after you've allowed the salesman to enter goes up tremendously.

So, Microsoft selling a $100 streaming box means there's a higher chance they can get a box inside people's homes true. But they are also relying on the Switches inside of people homes.

But, streaming also has its downsides.

People who are paying for a streaming service KNOW that they don't own the games......they never own those games, it is not their actual property. So, they better be really happy with the content coming through the streaming service.

And that is why Netflix is jamming content out their ass at an unbelievable pace. since 2014, they have been cutting checks to buy shows and films and documentaries and kids programming, and now foreign language shows.

Is Microsoft going to do that? For $10-$15 a month?

Oh, and one little side-note about Netflix...........technically they have yet to turn a profit.

12 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Yea, but we don't know what MS knows about their services.

Of course, it's not clear cut like how either you... or I, presented it.  It's likely somewhere in the middle, maybe closer to your side than mine, but still enough people to help gain traction... and they have data that supports it.

But look... who the fuck knows... this could all blow up in their face?  I'm just saying, it seems to be and is understandable, that they'd want to profit from Xbox live across all platforms.  They absolutely can't suddenly charge PC gamers and soon others for Xbox live, as well as Gamepass... so they'll figure out creative ways to "add more value" to Gamepass, so that it justifies any increase in cost they might enact as the service becomes more feature filled and supported.

I dunno, this is all guesswork... but it always seemed obvious to me that they'd want to make a little more, specifically from PC and mobile gamers, where they are losing out, with regards to Xbox Live revenue.