Some chatter on the internet says they might have identified the Zodiac killer via DNA

2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I'm gonna laugh my ass off if dude got busted via a family tree DNA kit

iirc they had a lot of difficulty in actually isolating DNA from the evidence because so much time had passed.

If they are able to isolate the DNA, they will do exactly that. Assuming it doesn't already turn up in a database.

Damn this rumor has me on the edge of my seat. 

36 minutes ago, SheepKilla said:

If they actually found a suspect based on the DNA...then this will be some of the biggest news of the century. 

Not really. It'd probably be on the same level as the BTK killer.

Or the Unabomber.

Doesn't DNA evidence become unusable after a certain period of time?  So this would have to be something that been perfectly preserved for 40 years?

7 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Not really. It'd probably be on the same level as the BTK killer.

Or the Unabomber.

Doesn't DNA evidence become unusable after a certain period of time?  So this would have to be something that been perfectly preserved for 40 years?

No. Zodiac is a way, way bigger story than either of those. He's entered the national conscience.  There's been blockbuster films, a bunch of books, endless news stories about the case. 

As for DNA, I think it could actually last for hundreds of years. 

1 minute ago, SheepKilla said:

No. Zodiac is a way, way bigger story than either of those. He's entered the national conscience.  There's been blockbuster films, a bunch of books, endless news stories about the case. 

As for DNA, I think it could actually last for hundreds of years. 

"He's entered the national conscience"

ok.:wrists:

2 minutes ago, SheepKilla said:

Considering a podcast about the case got 12 Million downloads on this very month, I think that's safe to say. 

He's the Sea of Thieves of serial killers. So many views.

Now mind you, unlike Ted Kazcinski and that cop in San Francisco, there had already been some educated guesses on who the Zodiac killer is. If you remember the movie, people had made a determination of who is could've been.

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Now mind you, unlike Ted Kazcinski and that cop in San Francisco, there had already been some educated guesses on who the Zodiac killer is. If you remember the movie, people had made a determination of who is could've been.

You must not know much if you think there's a strong suspect. It's a completely open case.

The whole point of the Fincher movie was that we have no idea who it was. One suspect (Arthur Leigh Allan) had a bunch of damning evidence pointing to him as the suspect. But then at the end of the movie he's cleared as a suspect and there are more questions than answers. Which is how it played out in real life.  

We really have no clue who it could've been in terms of a specific person, other than speculation. 

16 hours ago, jehurey said:

That was a very good educated guess for the time the book that the movie was based on was released.  It was also wrong.