Captain Marvel Crossed the billion dollar mark

5 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Black Panther showed that there's an audience that has been underserved.

And that came out as movies like Get Out were making huge bucks. And, the most important part is that Avengers Infinity War made alot more money then its previous movie, and that isn't very logical unless there are now people coming to see the movie.

Which could argue that Black Panther coming out first brought in more black audiences, and then those black audiences saw that Black Panther was going to be in Infinity War, so they went to see that because BP brought them in.

This actually reminds me of that whole gamergate thing.  Because I never took a side.

But I always felt that if the female audience is being under-served in video games, then its potentially a "blue ocean" issue. I always saw it from the perspective of economics.  You test the blue ocean with smaller, simpler products. And if they make a surprising profit, then it may be an indicator that there's an audience there that isn't being served, so you start offering more high-end products (i.e. higher production quality video games).

If the proof is there in dollar figures, then a cold-calculating businessman should not hesitate to continue service that audience. Its good business, after all.

All you're suggesting in this post is that there is that a huge portion of black people who haven't been to watch Marvel movies because the movies are majority white and they feel under represented (which is fine). So using that exact logic, if White people felt the same way then the numbers for BP would have been vastly reduced, especially considering the western world is a massively White majority (because the increase of black ppl watching BP wouldn't make up for the majority of white ppl skipping it). 

So again all you're proving is that the vast majority of ppl are NOT racist as the creating of a near full black cast in BP (plus a storyline that was very much 'kill all white ppl' from a villain that was loved my many) had next to zero effect on white ppl wanting to see or enjoy the movie and just encouraged more black ppl to go. Quite literally proving my point, so thanks for that. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Men clearly have periods too. Yeesh guys. Logg off. 

Awwww Brie hurt your fragile masculinity.   Pussy

There is nothing wrong with a rich white person fighting for equality, just like there is nothing wrong with a rich black guy fighting for poor minorities.  I recommend you eat a bag of rotting dicks.

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

All you're suggesting in this post is that there is that a huge portion of black people who haven't been to watch Marvel movies because the movies are majority white and they feel under represented (which is fine). So using that exact logic, if White people felt the same way then the numbers for BP would have been vastly reduced, especially considering the western world is a massively White majority (because the increase of black ppl watching BP wouldn't make up for the majority of white ppl skipping it). 

So again all you're proving is that the vast majority of ppl are NOT racist as the creating of a near full black cast in BP (plus a storyline that was very much 'kill all white ppl' from a villain that was loved my many) had next to zero effect on white ppl wanting to see or enjoy the movie and just encouraged more black ppl to go. Quite literally proving my point, so thanks for that. 

Except I can twist this logic even more.

You're missing the ultimate lesson.

A portion of black people have ALWAYS had to accept the fact that if they want to see a kick ass action movie, or a really scary horror movie, or a sci-fi movie, or a rom-com movie, a Bond movie, or an Oscar bait movie from a famous director, it was 90% going to star a white person.

Black people just HAD TO ACCEPT that, and they've been accepting it for 30-40 years of going to the movies. In other words, Black people had no choice but to be accepting of watching entertainment not catered to them. They showed MORE TOLERANCE.

Now its white people's turn.

White people don't go to "black movies" like the Tyler Perry movies, the Best Man's Wedding movies. But there was a good reason for that, it didn't look like a mainstream, high-dollar hollywood movie. Let's use video game terms: these Tyler Perry, Taraji P. Henson, Ice Cube, Tiffany Haddish movies were A to AA production quality movies.

White people got no problem with black people making A/AA level movies, those movies aren't going to make $60 million dollars on opening weekend anyway. Those aren't "watercooler" AAA-blockbuster movies in terms of hype.

Now, we're seeing AAA-blockbuster movies made by minorities.  Now, certain people are starting to complain that they are getting "diversity" forced down their throats.

Well.................what the fuck you think was happening to black people these past 30-40 years of moviegoing?

Remember when people hated the Wii?

And they hated Wii games that relied on motion control?

The "hardcore" gamers were okay with cheap, low-quality Wii games made by no-name developers. They had no problem with that. But if a major publisher and a major developer were to announce "our next major project is a Wii game that uses motion controls"  People would absolutely lose their shit. They felt ENTITLED that the best studios in the world should only make games for the "hardcore" traditional gaming audience, and they felt like something was being taken from them.

Edited by jehurey
3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Except I can twist this logic even more.

You definitely weren't wrong about that. 

Typical Jerry post twisting things so far and wide and going on some made up tangent full of crazy assumptions you create.

I didn't need to twist a thing unlike you. You just weren't happy that your own logic applied directly to the same example on the opposite end didn't support your view/argument. 

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

I know what you are refering too but that statement also completely ignores my first post asking you who you are saying 'i told you so' to. 

And again, you need to be happy and admit that the resounding success of BP and Cap Marvel is a great sign. Especially BP. It outperformed nearly anything else and is a much smaller known character and it was prior to Avengers. The vast majority of ppl are not racist, VAST MAJORITY. You need to look at the results of things on a broad spectrum not use some losers on the internet as a basis of a majority. 

Try releasing an all female cast movie in the middle east and see how it will perform. Or try include a scene with a cross in the background of a movie and watch it get cut out. You think there is this crazy amount of bigotry going on because you live in a part of the world that is so accepting overall that even a comment on the internet seems like a huge deal. Meanwhile real inequality exists everywhere else yet is so easily ignored.

You're assuming my positions on a lot of things in this response... especially from mid 2nd paragraph on down :mjpls:

Using the success of movies that catered to previously un-catered segments of the population as some sort of sign of anything else other than showing that movies can be successful when made for everyone..... is one hell of a Stretch..... the connections you made beyond that was quite the reach... lol

Just now, madmaltese said:

You definitely weren't wrong about that. 

Typical Jerry post twisting things so far and wide and going on some made up tangent full of crazy assumptions you create.

I didn't need to twist a thing unlike you. You just weren't happy that your own logic applied directly to the same example on the opposite end didn't support your view/argument. 

except you did...........you tried to make an inverse argument to say "see, white people aren't actually racist"

And I inversed it back again, on you (which means I set it straight).

Hey if you don't want to reply to what I said..........then that's your thing. But, the amount of complaining I've seen recently about movies is not something I've ever seen before.

2 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

You're assuming my positions on a lot of things in this response... especially from mid 2nd paragraph on down :mjpls:

Using the success of movies that catered to previously un-catered segments of the population as some sort of sign of anything else other than showing that movies can be successful when made for everyone..... is one hell of a Stretch..... the connections you made beyond that was quite the reach... lol

You play dumb when the discussion goes this route. Now I know that someone like Jerry really doesn't give a fuck about the topic per say and just wants to argue and hence will continue to argue till the end of time about anything and everything. But I'm hoping you aren't the same.

You are making it sound like it's a crazy stretch yet I'm sure you can very much agree that is BP bombed that there would be a zillion articles about how racist America is and how they can't handle a majority black cast due to racism. There is zero doubt about that. Yet somehow BP smashing records and outperforming pretty much all the other single hero films (in a vastly majority white nation) doesn't represent anything in the opposite way at all. Nothing good, no sign that maybe racism isn't as bad as thought. It's a gigantic double standard that is too often used these days. 

Not to mention the double standard in your original logic that a majority black movie is 'made for everyone' (as you say) yet a majority white one apparently isn't (logic shared by jerry). 

You still haven't posted who you are replying to and who said Cap Marvel wasn't going to be successful here so I assume it's against some random moron on the internet somewhere which in your mind holds a greater representation of ppl than Cap Marvel breaking a billion at the box office. 

14 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

You play dumb when the discussion goes this route. Now I know that someone like Jerry really doesn't give a fuck about the topic per say and just wants to argue and hence will continue to argue till the end of time about anything and everything. But I'm hoping you aren't the same.

You are making it sound like it's a crazy stretch yet I'm sure you can very much agree that is BP bombed that there would be a zillion articles about how racist America is and how they can't handle a majority black cast due to racism. There is zero doubt about that. Yet somehow BP smashing records and outperforming pretty much all the other single hero films (in a vastly majority white nation) doesn't represent anything in the opposite way at all. Nothing good, no sign that maybe racism isn't as bad as thought. It's a gigantic double standard that is too often used these days. 

Not to mention the double standard in your original logic that a majority black movie is 'made for everyone' (as you say) yet a majority white one apparently isn't (logic shared by jerry). 

You still haven't posted who you are replying to and who said Cap Marvel wasn't going to be successful here so I assume it's against some random moron on the internet somewhere which in your mind holds a greater representation of ppl than Cap Marvel breaking a billion at the box office. 

Man..........if we count the amount of ad-hominems occuring in my posts in this thread versus THIS single post right here........your post is going to have more.

Don't accuse us of just arguing for the sake of arguing.............that's what you're doing right now. Chalked full of ad-hominems going on here.

40 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Jeezus.... again you're making stretch connections that I didn't make and then you're arguing against them :mj:

See my previous post as it still applies to everything you just said. 

Edited by Goukosan
1 hour ago, Goukosan said:

That would be true if Black panther and Captain Marvel only catered to one type of audience.... but alas they do not:mjpls:

56 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

using the success of movies that catered to previously un-catered segments of the population as some sort of sign of anything else other than showing that movies can be successful when made for everyone..... is one hell of a Stretch..... the connections you made beyond that was quite the reach... lol

imma leave these two posts right here since you're having a hard time stretching around it:cmpunk1:

Edited by Goukosan

His point still stands, you're still pushing back against a portion of the population so negligibly small that you're almost required by your own ideology to invent boogiemen everywhere else to sustain your fight.

You'll be lucky to find a thousand people in this whole country who think only white men should make or star in superhero movies. WTF are you even talking about? 

And why is Captain Marvel all of a sudden THE female liberation movie of our time for you people? Why wasn't Wonder Woman? Or Alita for that matter? Because a lot of people think Brie Larson is a fuckin quack and Gal Gadot isn't. So what do you guys do? You create boogiemen out of those people because they don't celebrate her nonsensical grand standing around gender and race equity for her press tour. 

Edited by Vini
Just now, Vini said:

His point still stands, you're still pushing back against a portion of the population so negligibly small that you're almost required by your own ideology to invent boogiemen everywhere else to sustain your fight

Why is Captain Marvel all of a sudden THE FEMALE liberation movie of our time? Why wasn't Wonder Woman? Or Alita for that matter? Because a lot of people think Brie Larson is a fuckin quack and they don't think Gal Gadot is. So what do you guys do? You create boogiemen out of those people because they don't celebrate her nonsensical grand standing around gender equity for her press tour.

another one who is making points I didn't make and arguing  against it.. :mj:

Example... 

to sustain what fight?  lol

Captain Marvel is the Female Liberation movie or our time? ... um since when?  

What Boogie man was created? Tell me more... :lupe:

Lmfao both you and mad are throwing shit out there hoping one of the assumptions you have of my position sticks..... 

first mad brought in racism etc... now Vini is talking about the Boogie man....lol

Just now, Vini said:

You guys made it into the female liberation movie of your time because you overreact to every criticism of Brie Larson like she's your fuckin sister 

I did?  Did the Boogieman tell you I did that? 

:dame:

3 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

I did?  Did the Boogieman tell you I did that? 

:dame:

Dude we are literally in a thread made by you celebrating a mediocre comic book movie crossing a billion dollar mark despite some people talking shit about the lead actress

Edited by Vini
Just now, Vini said:

Dude we are literally in a thread made by you celebrating a mediocre comic book movie crossing a billion dollar mark because some people talked shit about the lead actress

We are in a thread where it's being pointed out that the cries of man children on the internet has no real world impact on box office numbers.... as it says in the OP. 

How are you taking that to mean I see  the movie as being a female liberation movie? 

What caused you to first.. make that leap... and secondly... argue against the leap you made :mj:

5 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

We are in a thread where it's being pointed out that the cries of man children on the internet has no real world impact on box office numbers.... as it says in the OP. 

How are you taking that to mean I see  the movie as being a female liberation movie? 

What caused you to first.. make that leap... and secondly... argue against the leap you made :mj:

Except I'm here to tell you that criticizing Brie Larson is not cries of man children because I'm not a man child and I think she's a delusional quack. On the level of Cathy Griffin and Lena Dunham

And the only reason you're defending her is her delusional ideology matches yours

Edited by Vini