Something that was overlooked about Scarlett

2 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14528/amd-announces-radeon-rx-5700-xt-rx-5700-series/2

I think it's safe to assume that Project Scarlett is going to be based on "RDNA 2" (also Navi) or it will have the ray tracing bits from that architecture. Assuming the next-gen PlayStation's ray tracing is hardware based we can also assume it is also based on RDNA 2.

Maybe Microsoft is doing the work themselves, they did a lot of custom work on the X it could be possible they are here as well. 

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Maybe Microsoft is doing the work themselves, they did a lot of custom work on the X it could be possible they are here as well. 

Possibly. AMD obviously has an idea about how to put ray tracing in their cards so is it worth Microsoft's resources to customize in that area? I think they'd be better off putting their efforts elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Possibly. AMD obviously has an idea about how to put ray tracing in their cards so is it worth Microsoft's resources to customize in that area? I think they'd be better off putting their efforts elsewhere.

Well I mean they did outright say it will be hardware accelerated so maybe they had to do it themselves because AMD wasn't there quite yet. Maybe they shared some incite about how to do it and then they went to work at it themselves.

Edited by DynamiteCop!

MS is HEAVILY involved in both the software side and hardware side of ray-tracing.  They are involved with Nvidia, and obviously AMD as well.  At this point though, "hardware accelerated" can mean anything.  Is it being done through specialized units on the GPU, or being done through optimizations on the CPU? That is the question.  Or perhaps a combination of both?

More cores on the CPU would definitely help.  I completely forget.. did MS announce how many cores Scarlett would have?

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

MS is HEAVILY involved in both the software side and hardware side of ray-tracing.  They are involved with Nvidia, and obviously AMD as well.  At this point though, "hardware accelerated" can mean anything.  Is it being done through specialized units on the GPU, or being done through optimizations on the CPU? That is the question.  Or perhaps a combination of both?

More cores on the CPU would definitely help.  I completely forget.. did MS announce how many cores Scarlett would have?

No, they haven't disclosed that information just that it's Zen 2.

1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

No, they haven't disclosed that information just that it's Zen 2.

Hmm.. while it's doubtful they would throw in a 12 core proc, that would definitely boost their RT performance over the competition to have 4 cores dedicated to RT.

I think I read somewhere that Halo Infinite has RT reflections or something?  I might be wrong, but there was some talk about the reflections in the chiefs visor.  In the reveal trailer when they show his helmet, there's the warthog reflection from behind the camera... but that could simply be faked.

Just now, Remij_ said:

Hmm.. while it's doubtful they would throw in a 12 core proc, that would definitely boost their RT performance over the competition to have 4 cores dedicated to RT.

I think I read somewhere that Halo Infinite has RT reflections or something?  I might be wrong, but there was some talk about the reflections in the chiefs visor.  In the reveal trailer when they show his helmet, there's the warthog reflection from behind the camera... but that could simply be faked.

I agree, 12 cores isn't happening and it seems like a huge waste. It's too much space... unless they do go with four extra cores and that's why we're hearing Project Scarlett being weaker because they sacrificed CUs to fit their budget? Who knows. I think either scenario is unlikely and that it'll be a more realistic scenario like throwing in iterations of RDNA 2 to meet ray tracing requirements or benig completely based on RDNA 2.

5 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

I agree, 12 cores isn't happening and it seems like a huge waste. It's too much space... unless they do go with four extra cores and that's why we're hearing Project Scarlett being weaker because they sacrificed CUs to fit their budget? Who knows. I think either scenario is unlikely and that it'll be a more realistic scenario like throwing in iterations of RDNA 2 to meet ray tracing requirements or benig completely based on RDNA 2.

Yea.  4 extra cores on the CPU wouldn't be worth it in the end.  It definitely would eat up too much valuable space.

This E3 didn't really reveal anything substantial to differentiate the consoles from each other.. unfortunately.

you see they hired actress to match the women quota. "yeah im soo excited about the ssd" 'y3Yf2dX.png

Edited by kaz