Phil Spencer Live with Giantbomb

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, madmaltese said:

Can't believe you think MS doesn't have devkits out in the wild :D Especially to the likes of EA, Ubi and Activision. Let alone Rockstar, Bethesda (who they always do marketing with), etc

It's a coping mechanism after the head of Game Informer said PS5 is looking to be more powerful than Scarlett. :D 

1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

Can't believe you think MS doesn't have devkits out in the wild :D Especially to the likes of EA, Ubi and Activision. Let alone Rockstar, Bethesda (who they always do marketing with), etc

this is the same guy that thought AAA games would be out in a year.... he is. clueless about dev cycles:rofls:

5 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Of course they don't, they're not even done engineering their specs yet. The Xbox One X devkit didn't hit until 6 months before the system launched and FCC approval didn't happen until a month before release.

This all with a system which was mapped out already from top to bottom publicly 18 months in advance. It's quite clear and no one disagrees who has reviewed their information that Scarlett is still in the oven. 

When asked about the hardware he literally said 10 minutes ago "Not all of the specifics are figured out"

Edited by DynamiteCop!
3 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

It's a coping mechanism after the head of Game Informer said PS5 is looking to be more powerful than Scarlett. :D 

Don't even know what the big deal is tbh, even is PS5 is more powerful it is going to be a negligible difference imo. Prob something like 10-15% max. Games is always what is going to separate the systems.  

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Of course they don't, they're not even done engineering their specs yet. The Xbox One X devkit didn't hit until 6 months before the system launched and FCC approval didn't happen until a month before release.

This all with a system which was mapped out already from top to bottom publicly 18 months in advance. It's quite clear and no one disagrees who has reviewed their information that Scarlett is still in the oven. 

Stop comparing the first ever mid gen upgrade of the same system to an entire new generation of consoles.  It's embarrassing.

I've already said in my initial post I don't know what changes can be made from now to release, saying it very well may not be exact final specs but there is zero doubt devkits are out.

Just now, madmaltese said:

Don't even know what the big deal is tbh, even is PS5 is more powerful it is going to be a negligible difference imo. Prob something like 10-15% max. Games is always what is going to separate the systems.  

It's not a big deal, but it completely goes against his expectations. The idea that devkits are out and people are talking s about it would interfere with that. 

For eg, the first 'next gen' game shown last gen was a third party game, Watch Dogs, at E3 2012, a year and a half before the next gen launched and you think that Ubisoft now don't even have a devkit for the next Xbox within the same time period that they had heavily developed game last gen :D

3 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Stop comparing the first ever mid gen upgrade of the same system to an entire new generation of consoles.  It's embarrassing.

I've already said in my initial post I don't know what changes can be made from now to release, saying it very well may not be exact final specs but there is zero doubt devkits are out.

They could add more CU's, more memory, faster memory, a faster CPU, engineer better cooling and overclock everything.

There's a lot that could be done in the next year. Why would you think there are devkits out? Similar PC development hardware already exists and games can be built entirely agnostic of a final platform or specification. 

They need a final spec to port that code to, not to develop it. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!

The fact that E3 2019 was mostly a rehash is a pretty good indication that people are working with early next generation devkits to get their games ready for cross gen game launches.

Just now, lynux3 said:

The fact that E3 2019 was mostly a rehash is a pretty good indication that people are working with early next generation devkits to get their games ready for cross gen game launches.

All it says is like Sony they're both playing things close to the vest. As I said games can be developed agnostic of a platform.

17 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

When asked about the hardware he literally said 10 minutes ago "Not all of the specifics are figured out"

Oh, ok, so they can still change the requisite components so you don't need to damage control any longer?

Just now, Teh_Diplomat said:

Oh, ok, so they can still change the requisite components so you don't need to damage control any longer?

I wouldn't need to "damage control" anything if people stopped being such boneheads about the development process. 

The only thing a devkit is needed for is deploying the code for testing and looping back to the PC for debugging, this can all be done considerably later and has no bearing on the actual development process. It's just in development porting, porting can take place much later. 

They don't need a devkit to make your games. 

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I dare you to come up with a cohesive argument against it. What is a devkit for in your mind? I hope you don't think the games are actually developed on it.

:mj:

giphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

Edited by lynux3