First Control review is in

I agree with Madmaltese.  It seems so weird to me that a person would like QB as much as he did, and then apparently have no interest in Control.

The gameplay DOES look a lot better.. and I've seen plenty environments which are probably more interesting that most of QB's areas.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty awesome that both Control and Astral Chain delivered. Good times are ahead regardless of which platforms people own.

he's ugly and married a fat filipino woman as well.

I wonder what the difference is

8 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I agree with Madmaltese.  It seems so weird to me that a person would like QB as much as he did, and then apparently have no interest in Control.

The gameplay DOES look a lot better.. and I've seen plenty environments which are probably more interesting that most of QB's areas.

Some of the gameplay from the review you posted (especially early-mid on in the vid) looks so much like QB that I would've believed it was a QB DLC with a new character if they announced it as such. 

45 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Stupid ass comparison as Halo 5 isn't a new IP and as such carries so much weight and expectations forward from the world/lore/setting that a new IP doesn't. QB and Control are identical from a comparison stand point. 

Or maybe it has a shit tonne less marketing because it doesn't have a first party marketing machine behind it. 

Reviews might not be indicative of whether it matches your taste or not but it will resolve your concerns of 'depth in the game' and story, characters and setting and how fleshed out everything is. You obviously enjoyed the QB gameplay and this already seems vastly improved on that. So it's missing the tv show aspect, the actors and the time travel story...which absolutely zero of those things made QB great.  

The point is that if you had zero interest in Ori and yet boast about LOVING Hollow Knight or Castlevania or other metroidvania then I would also call you out because it obviously has nothing to do with the game.

It's a perfectly fine comparison you just don't like it, it's narrative destroying. Mechanics alone don't make the game, nor do similarities therein whether improved or not. This has nothing to do with a new IP or an established one, more refined mechanics don't make for a better game, period.

Control has Sony behind it for marketing, they also have 505 games, two publishers one of which who is the platform manufacturer themself so you can take that bullshit rationality and just throw it right out the window. The only delineation between Quantum Break and Control in marketing is scale of time, no pun intended.

I did enjoy Quantum Break's gameplay, but I also enjoyed its story, concept, environmental variety, atmosphere, enemies and cast. The concept was more interesting, this is The Adjustment Bureau turned into a game with some further exaggerated science fiction elements and enemies, fine in its own right but not remarkably interesting to me. The main character as an actress doesn't have the fortitude to carry the weight of the leading role, she was fine as the main supporting role in Quantum Break but in this she's quite dead as a lead, very one dimensional.

The enemies as far as what's been shown seem underwhelming, some regular humans, and what looks like Dementor's from Harry potter who fly around and throw shit at you. Quantum Break had all sorts of class based human enemies with different traits and abilities, juggernauts with mech suits and rocket launchers, heavies with full body armor, automatic shotguns and machine guns, two different levels of strikers who could operate within time stutters some with super speed using assault rifles and SMG's, snipers, normal SWAT level security forces, stationary machine gun emplacements, enemies with chronon dampening fields that remove your ability to use your powers.

There was also about a dozen weapons you could make use of in addition to your powers, in this game it's one weird gun that can do a few different things. 

Then let's talk about environments, a school both inside and out including just about everything you'd expect to see in one, construction sites, abandoned warehouses, docks, a shipping yard, a bridge, a train yard, the outskirts of a mansion during a party, a research center and laboratories, caves, offices, a parking garage, the headquarters in a skyscraper. It was extremely diverse. Control? There's some 1950's looking underground offices, some industrial looking bunkers with large machinery, some laboratories or testing facilities and large open spaces with simple looking square'ish architecture.

The cuts and constraints required to make this into a full game are obvious, not only financially and in terms of how cut back it appears but also in terms of resources and time. They had two other games in the works during Control's development, Quantum Break was a singular effort and focus for the entire studio and the level of what that was able to add in design complexity is obvious.

I will play it at some point in time, but it's not as interesting, it's not as developed, and it's not as diverse. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
7 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

That's a lot of words to convince yourself you're not a fanboy.

You're actually praising QB for environmental and enemy variety? :freeman:

Man that green exclusive box really adds features missing from the game I played. 

It's a lot of words which shoot down your frail attempts at displacing my criticism for what I see with this game. This isn't a counter pal, this is pure laziness, deflection and inability to form an actual response.

Take your L and go home.  

9 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

It's a lot of words which shoot down your frail attempts at displacing my criticism for what I see with this game. This isn't a counter pal, this is pure laziness, deflection and inability to form an actual response.

Take your L and go home.  

Criticism which will be addressed and answered tomorrow but you have no interest as it's not in a big green exclusive box :cmpunk1:

2 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Criticism which will be addressed and answered tomorrow but you have no interest as it's not in a big green exclusive box :cmpunk1:

You're hopelessly stupid, you wanted to know and I explained to you in detail the issues I see and why it's lacking interest for me. No matter what I say you loop back around to that weak "Well because it's not Xbox" bullshit.

Get a grip faggot. 

Its actually quite sad how he still thinks he's remotely able to come up with a good cover story for not being an obvious fanboy.

He's trying to convince an entire forum who has heard every possible excuse under the sun for 10 years BEFORE he even arrived, and his excuses aren't even good by 2005 standards. LOL

And he still keeps on doing it, even though he failed like 6 posts ago.:drake:

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

You're hopelessly stupid, you wanted to know and I explained to you in detail the issues I see and why it's lacking interest for me. No matter what I say you loop back around to that weak "Well because it's not Xbox" bullshit.

Get a grip faggot. 

Your comparison of the variety in enemies and location to a game that isn't even out yet is so beyond retarded I wouldn't even know where to start. Especially when the game being compared had such poor environmental and enemy variety to begin with. However it is a point that can be addressed in reviews. The criticisms of story/characters/plot we don't know because again the game isn't out yet it will be addressed in reviews. Your claims of budget constraints making it look held back and shallow again will be addressed. But you're not interested because your mind is made up. A game made from the devs that you loved just this gen, a game that looks so similar in so many ways that it could nearly be a spiritual sequel and a game that shares a core gameplay and cinematic touch. 

You 'concerns' don't constitute anywhere near a variation of interest from QB to this. 

1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

Your comparison of the variety in enemies and location to a game that isn't even out yet is so beyond retarded I wouldn't even know where to start. Especially when the game being compared had such poor environmental and enemy variety to begin with. However it is a point that can be addressed in reviews. The criticisms of story/characters/plot we don't know because again the game isn't out yet it will be addressed in reviews. Your claims of budget constraints making it look held back and shallow again will be addressed. But you're not interested because your mind is made up. A game made from the devs that you loved just this gen, a game that looks so similar in so many ways that it could nearly be a spiritual sequel and a game that shares a core gameplay and cinematic touch. 

You 'concerns' don't constitute anywhere near a variation of interest from QB to this. 

There's already Youtube playthroughs floating around, hours of footage, what we've seen is basically the entire scope of environmental variety. The sameness, bland and ill-defined scenery all taking place indoors within concrete structures. You can see the enemies, what's on display in terms of combatants, it's all extremely limited in scope.

Oh and there's this. Quantum Break didn't have these performance problems, this game actually goes to 0 FPS, it freezes completely it gets so bad. It's not even polished.

I want to believe it's going to be great but everything Remedy has done besides Max Payne has been a complete turd. I played Quantum break on pc and it was fucking horrid

this looks the sane as their last few games. Impressive visuals then you actually play it and you realize it's pretty shit

11 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

There's already Youtube playthroughs floating around, hours of footage, what we've seen is basically the entire scope of environmental variety. The sameness, bland and ill-defined scenery all taking place indoors within concrete structures. You can see the enemies, what's on display in terms of combatants, it's all extremely limited in scope.

Oh and there's this. Quantum Break didn't have these performance problems, this game actually goes to 0 FPS, it freezes completely it gets so bad. It's not even polished.

The game has TONS more physics and environmental destructibility than Quantum Break had.  Also the number of enemies is just as high if not higher than QB.  

I'm sure those performance issues.. likely due to memory leaks can be addressed easily enough.

Edited by Remij_

Nothing I've seen makes it seem less diverse than QB, since QB wasn't diverse at all. It was a giant hallway game (whether it's indoor or out) cut up with large rooms for enemies which were also extremely repetitive. Normal enemy, Time shifting enemy, tank enemy. The gameplay variations in this alone make it seem far more diverse plus the partical and visual improvements look great.

Again it's the fact you went from loving one to no interest in the other that you're being called out on. I'm sure there are ppl that love Hollow Knight and don't like Ori after playing the both but their interest in each will be there. 

1 minute ago, Delita said:

I want to believe it's going to be great but everything Remedy has done besides Max Payne has been a complete turd. I played Quantum break on pc and it was fucking horrid

this looks the sane as their last few games. Impressive visuals then you actually play it and you realize it's pretty shit

This is the main reason why I'm not super excited for Control. Calling their games shit is an exaggeration to me but pretty much everything since Max Payne has just been alright. All 7-7.5 type games.

There's plenty of areas which aren't square rooms.  They hint at them in the multiple trailers they've had.

I also LIKE the sterile clean aesthetic they are going for.  It's essentially the same look they went for with Quantum Breaks Lab and underground area.  They were nicest looking areas of the game.  They look super sharp and nice at high resolutions.

Plus the effects in this game put QB to shame imo.  Tons more shit happening.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

That's an excuse for a game to be hitting 0 FPS?

Yea, I already said there was.  It's called a bug/memory leak.  Those things get fixed.

The vast majority of people have said performance has been good on consoles, outside of a stutter here or there when coming out of the menu.

6 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

This is the main reason why I'm not super excited for Control. Calling their games shit is an exaggeration to me but pretty much everything since Max Payne has just been alright. All 7-7.5 type games.

This is SW. :ben: Everything is either amazing or the worst game ever