Digital Foundry: Final Fantasy 8 Remastered vs Original Comparison - The Definitive Version?

Holy fuck, what a steaming pile of SHIT :kaz:

-No analog controls (4 directions like the posc version) 

-No rumble

-Worse framerate than PS1 :D (that messes up with battle QTEs) 

-Inconsistent graphic upgrades with the world map clearly looking worse

-censorship on some reworked models 

-music bug that doesn't go away after reloading a file

+ cheats to speed the gameplay up 

20 dollars please, thanks idiots! :pavarotti:

• Haha 3
3 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

Jesus fuck that looks awful. 

Followup: Can they even fix these issues, or is this done for?

From what I've read they gave the port job to some incompetent French hack company who is known for puling shit like this, I highly doubt they can fix the mess they created.

Edited by bhytre

lol that reminds me of trying to play the GC version of resident evil 3 with some hd graphics mods that weren't complete, except this is worse

there must be mods for ff8 pc version to make it look better just like the original ff7. you could probably play the ps1 version on an emulator and make it look better than that remaster :puke:

1 minute ago, roflpwnedz said:

lol that reminds me of trying to play the GC version of resident evil 3 with some hd graphics mods that weren't complete, except this is worse

there must be mods for ff8 pc version to make it look better just like the original ff7. you could probably play the ps1 version on an emulator and make it look better than that remaster :puke:

yep thats what i always do. play it on ps1 emulator and it looks better. paying for remasters :mj: 

6 minutes ago, kaz said:

yep thats what i always do. play it on ps1 emulator and it looks better. paying for remasters :mj: 

In the balamb class screens it looks like they used some shitty filter on the background

There is no reason why can't do something like this.

https://www.pcgamer.com/ai-neural-networks-are-giving-final-fantasy-7-a-makeover/

https://imgur.com/a/Xfyk8gs

Those developers put 0 effort

Doing a remaster a having it look worse and run worse than a 20 year old game is seriously impressive. I know if I did a shit job like this I'd be fired instantly

I seriously hope these people weren't paid for this shit

Edited by Delita
5 hours ago, Truno2018 said:

That’s embarrassing. 

Also playing through it again, my god random battling in this game is fucking tedious. :monkas:

I replayed it in 2014 (original ps1 on emu) and it's absolutely fine.

There aren't any more random encounter than any other FF title or JRPG for that matter (except bahamut facility but an encounter at every step is a gimmick which is easily countered with a GF ability).

I swear to god so many idiots that have no idea what they are talking about always open their mouth about "old" games. 

Edited by kaz
1 hour ago, kaz said:

I replayed it in 2014 (original ps1 on emu) and it's absolutely fine.

There aren't any more random encounter than any other FF title or JRPG for that matter (except bahamut facility but an encounter at every step is a gimmick which is easily countered with a GF ability).

I swear to god so many idiots that have no idea what they are talking about always open their mouth about "old" games. 

It’s not absolutely fine. Normal attacks do absolutely shit damage meaning you have to summon guardian forces and sit through that same shitty long animation again and again to do decent damage. It’s tedious even with fast forward. 

And magic drawing has to be the dumbest idea in any Final Fantasy ever. :monkas:

Good thing I can just break the Junction System I guess. 

It’s got nothing to do with being an old game. 

59 minutes ago, Truno2018 said:

It’s not absolutely fine. Normal attacks do absolutely shit damage meaning you have to summon guardian forces and sit through that same shitty long animation again and again to do decent damage. It’s tedious even with fast forward. 

And magic drawing has to be the dumbest idea in any Final Fantasy ever. :monkas:

It's 3x less tedious than before :glad: 

9 hours ago, Truno2018 said:

the way you play it sounds tedious because you are a noob. you dont have to watch GF every fight :D 

aside from drawing which you can be done with (with every spell you need, to link to your GF) in minutes and then can breeze through with the right GF abilities. 

There are so many powerful abilities like +20/40/60/80% STR or counter for example. BUT also my absolute favourite ability "Darkside" you get right after you get the magic lamp to summon and fight diablos.

3x dmg while you take dmg yourself but you can even boost it with squalls trigger blade. fuck off noob, stop crying and play something else if the game is too complex for you. :camby:

Spoiler

not to mention fishermans horizon breaks the game either way bc there are some galbadian soldiers with way more powerful spells to draw from at this point in the game.

Edited by kaz