Digital Foundry - Stadia tech review: the best game streaming yet, but far from ready

Stadia Launch Games Pricing

• Assassin's Creed Odyssey - $59.99 $30.00 Stadia Pro Deal
  • Gylt - $29.99
  • Just Dance 2020 - $49.99
  • Kine - $19.99
  • Mortal Kombat 11 - $59.99 $41.99 Stadia Pro Deal
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 - Launch Edition - $59.99
  • Samurai Showdown - $59.99
  • Thumper - $19.99
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider - $59.99
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider - $29.99
  • Tomb Raider 2013 - $19.99 $10.00 Stadia Pro Deal
  • Final Fantasy XV - $39.99 $29.99 Stadia Pro Deal

Special Editions:

• Assassin's Creed Odyssey Stadia Ultimate Edition - $119.99 - $60.00 Stadia Pro Deal
  • Mortal Kombat 11 Premium Edition - $89.99 $62.99 Stadia Pro Deal
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 Special Edition - $79.99
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 Ultimate Edition - $99.99

I've posted videos about my experiences with xCloud.  There are some decent times where the lag could be considered decent and playable for slower games like Gears 5.

And then there are certain times where the control lag is simply too much to overcome, and game breaking.

That's just the current state of things, and its about what I expected. Although, I will say that MS did an absolutely great job on the video stream. The controller input is just not where it needs to be.

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I've posted videos about my experiences with xCloud.  There are some decent times where the lag could be considered decent and playable for slower games like Gears 5.

And then there are certain times where the control lag is simply too much to overcome, and game breaking.

That's just the current state of things, and its about what I expected. Although, I will say that MS did an absolutely great job on the video stream. The controller input is just not where it needs to be.

That's latency for you. It'll be the forever argument because latency varies significantly from one location to the other... even using the same ISP in the same neighborhood, hell, the same street.

Project xCloud's streaming quality will be better to judge once it comes to PC. Mobile displays are great for hiding defects.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/11/18/google-stadia-launch-review-a-technical-conceptual-disaster/#7981fdc45ec7

Google Stadia Launch Review: A Technical, Conceptual Disaster

I may have been a Stadia skeptic going into this test run, but I was willing to give it a chance. But this has been a catastrophe from start to finish during my testing phase, and the problem is that even if it did work flawlessly, which it absolutely doesn’t, the entire model seemed doomed from the start. This is an enormous miss from Google, and I am really wondering what the fallout is going to be from this ill-conceived early launch.

:snoop:

I think the fact that all stadia games exist separately and have their own player bases, with no potential for cross play or interaction with other platforms is a huge downside. In a time where more and more publishers are embracing cross platform features, it just seems like a bad idea. Having a casual friend without any consoles but still giving them the ability to play stadia games with you would be a huge selling point for a lot of people im sure.

Edited by Twinblade