Super Mario 64 is best on PC

We all know about the Super Mario 64 PC port that was made from reverse engineering the game's source code.

It was recently released (I've already completed the game 120 stars :smoke: ) and now there's all sorts of mods being done to it.

There's farther draw distance, improved Mario model, and HD textures, as well as a normal camera with the right analog stick... plus the ability to turn things on and off in menus and stuff like that.  

It's very cool stuff, and is quite literally the definitive version of the game.  There's no slowdown where the N64 slows down, and to top it off, the high LOD Mario model is used 100% of the time, whereas on N64 and emulation the model is swapped with a low poly model when Mario gets a certain distance away from the camera.  The N64 resolution and CRTs mostly hid this, but it was really obvious and ugly on emulators with high resolution making it obvious.

maxresdefault.jpg

Now though, the model on the left is always the model used in the base native version.  Awesome stuff.  I LOVE this Mario model and is probably my favorite Mario model of all time.

But anyway, here's videos of the mods in action.

I still prefer the original on the left, but a lot of people may prefer the higher poly one on the right.

The draw distance thing isn't too crazy, but it can help if you want to see red coins and other landmarks from farther away.  Nothing necessary, but cool none the less.

Here there's improved textures which follow the same style of the original.  This looks REALLY good on an big TV.

And then others which take a different approach which I can't say I care too much for..

My 2nd favorite game of all time.  Glorious and native on PC.. with improvements.  This is quite possibly the most perfect game for me. :love: 

Edited by Remij_
5 minutes ago, ©linton514® said:

Where can I find this... :bow:

I've only got a compiled version of the 100% vanilla game.  It's literally just Mario.exe lol

I don't have these other ones yet.. but if you search on google, there's a forum which can help you compile your own version from the n64 rom.  Nintendo basically wiped out any of the already compiled .exe's which are illegal.  Compiling your own though is 100% legal and they can't do anything about that since it has none of their code, and the assets are from "your own copy of the game" ;)

Just do some searching.

• Thanks 1

Also, I've been told that neither of those texture packs are complete at the moment, so they should be considered work in progress.

Once all these mods are done, I'll see about putting together a guide or something and making it real easy.

• Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Also, I've been told that neither of those texture packs are complete at the moment, so they should be considered work in progress.

Once all these mods are done, I'll see about putting together a guide or something and making it real easy.

Merci

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ghostz said:

The remake is coming this year, enjoy this tho LOL

LOL 25 years late :drake: 

I will enjoy this :juggle:  Then I'll enjoy emulating the remake too LOL GET FUCKED :mj: 

16 minutes ago, SheepKilla said:

This is an exe that installs like a real PC game? link? 

It doesn't install.  It's an actual exe file.  It just runs lol.  24MB

And No, I can't link it... and like I said.. Nintendo has been quick to remove compiled versions of the game.  It's not hard to compile your own version though, but you need a rom.

Just search online.  There's forums to help you.  It's not hard.