Next gen is going to have one of the best launches ever imo

Not talking from a sales point of view (can't see that happening cause of supply issues due to covid) but from an actual games point of view. Usually first 2 years of a next gen launch are a little bare (outside of eye candy games like KZ Shadow Fall and Ryse) but I think both Sony and MS are going to launch heavy and both will have some great games within the first 12 months. Not only eye candy good, but actual system seller level like BotW or Odyssey (not saying they're gonna have some 96s).

I think Halo Infinite is gonna deliver and we will finally have a good Halo back and I think Fable will also be great while the other devs will do a lot better than the quality Xbox had this gen. 

I think Sony has never had so many first parties devs working on a next gen so early as they have had this time and their first 3-4 years are already destined to be the superb. 

Keen af for the next gen :aitch:

Yea, the launch window software looks like it's going to be MUCH better this time around than it was last gen.

I also agree, I think Halo Infinite is going to bring back some of the lustre the franchise lost with Halo 4 and 5.  Just looking at the design decisions they are going with as well as knowing that this is a Master Chief focused game it's more reminiscent of the original trilogy than anything 4/5 imo.  It appears that they've taken some of the criticism to heart and have learned from it.  New engine as well.. and the fact that it's a launch title..  There's going to be a lot of hype and a lot of hope that this game does Halo justice. 

5 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Yea, the launch window software looks like it's going to be MUCH better this time around than it was last gen.

I also agree, I think Halo Infinite is going to bring back some of the lustre the franchise lost with Halo 4 and 5.  Just looking at the design decisions they are going with as well as knowing that this is a Master Chief focused game it's more reminiscent of the original trilogy than anything 4/5 imo.  It appears that they've taken some of the criticism to heart and have learned from it.  New engine as well.. and the fact that it's a launch title..  There's going to be a lot of hype and a lot of hope that this game does Halo justice. 

Hoping for a Halo 2 esque blow out for Halo Infinite at Xbox's show. That shit was so good. 

4 minutes ago, Vini said:

Yea but the technical showcase won't be that impressive considering all the launch games will have to run on this gen hardware as well.  

Sony's don't and I still think Halo Infinite is going to look amazing on XSX and high end PC. And for once we might actually get a gameplay leap instead of only resolution. 

1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

Hoping for a Halo 2 esque blow out for Halo Infinite at Xbox's show. That shit was so good. 

Sony's don't and I still think Halo Infinite is going to look amazing on XSX and high end PC. And for once we might actually get a gameplay leap instead of only resolution. 

I'm looking for the physics bump like destruction etc I think next gen physics could be amazing and much more immersive. 

Problem is you can't scale shit like destruction across hardware it's either in or out. 

I'm looking for the physics bump like destruction etc I think next gen physics could be amazing and much more immersive. 

Problem is you can't scale shit like destruction across hardware it's either in or out. 

That's why I always say that my main hope is Sony first party. Games can scale but games that have a higher minimum requirement are always better technically. If you want to incorporate the SSD directly into gaming (outside of simply less load times) then you can't be cross gen. 

Just now, madmaltese said:

That's why I always say that my main hope is Sony first party. Games can scale but games that have a higher minimum requirement are always better technically. If you want to incorporate the SSD directly into gaming (outside of simply less load times) then you can't be cross gen. 

Sony first party will be more impressive for the first year but XseX has 25% more raw power and there's no way that's not going to be tapped into later on. 

The whole SSD thing is all hype, there will be nothing PS5 can do that XseX won't be able to with a few seconds more load time. 

2 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

SSD's in consoles is giving me serious consideration to slum it with the rest of you. :ben:

I've had an SSD in my PS4 since 2015 and an external with my Xbox One X. It's the only way to go 

Edited by Vini
5 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

SSD's in consoles is giving me serious consideration to slum it with the rest of you. :ben:

Could you fit it in with all that total crack 2 you play? :ben:

• Ben 1

Sony first party will be more impressive for the first year but XseX has 25% more raw power and there's no way that's not going to be tapped into later on. 

The whole SSD thing is all hype, there will be nothing PS5 can do that XseX won't be able to with a few seconds more load time. 

It depends because Xbox is always going to be cross gen with PC so even after the first year or 2 when they abandon Xbox One, they can't truly make a game contingent on the SSD that XSX has because that rules out a giant proportion of the PC crowd, which is not their strategy. We'll see exactly how much of an actual impact the SSD has but for eg, R&C wouldn't be possible on PS4, X1 and cross gen with PC (unless you have a huge min spec requirement for SSD which MS isnt going to do). I'm not saying XSX's ssd can't do that, it probably very easily can, but the fact Sony first party have that SSD as the minimum specs means they can develop core gameplay elements using it, while MS simply can't. They'll just use it for quicker loading and other scalable things 

Raw power in consoles has never really meant anything man, you simply are not going to see some 25% visual difference between XSX and PS5, ever. The only times extremely visable differences are noticed is when the architecture of the system is vastly different, like PS3 and X360. When some 3rd party games literally ran like ass and were near unplayable on ps3

2 hours ago, Remij_ said:

On Sony’s end, they struggled early with the ps4 (and game development), initially, after the ps3 debacle. Now, it’s good to see they are pumping money into a lot of year 1 titles. The same with Microsoft and its new studios. 

5 hours ago, madmaltese said:

It depends because Xbox is always going to be cross gen with PC so even after the first year or 2 when they abandon Xbox One, they can't truly make a game contingent on the SSD that XSX has because that rules out a giant proportion of the PC crowd, which is not their strategy. We'll see exactly how much of an actual impact the SSD has but for eg, R&C wouldn't be possible on PS4, X1 and cross gen with PC (unless you have a huge min spec requirement for SSD which MS isnt going to do). I'm not saying XSX's ssd can't do that, it probably very easily can, but the fact Sony first party have that SSD as the minimum specs means they can develop core gameplay elements using it, while MS simply can't. They'll just use it for quicker loading and other scalable things 

Raw power in consoles has never really meant anything man, you simply are not going to see some 25% visual difference between XSX and PS5, ever. The only times extremely visable differences are noticed is when the architecture of the system is vastly different, like PS3 and X360. When some 3rd party games literally ran like ass and were near unplayable on ps3

Well this gen the raw power meant games looked much better in native or close to native 4k there's a noticeable difference in games like RDR2 on X1X vs PS4. 

I just can't imagine any core gameplay elements a slightly faster SSD would bring that xbox can't do. What would be an example other than slightly faster load times? 

19 minutes ago, Vini said:

Well this gen the raw power meant games looked much better in native or close to native 4k there's a noticeable difference in games like RDR2 on X1X vs PS4. 

I just can't imagine any core gameplay elements a slightly faster SSD would bring that xbox can't do. What would be an example other than slightly faster load times? 

Have you not seen the Ratchet and Clank trailer/gameplay? The entire game would simply not exist on a PS4/XB1 or even PCs without that quality of SSD even if you downscale the visuals because the near instantaneous load times are part of the core game design of different rifts inside the levels. That's also basic launch level stuff. Just wait to see what Sony Santa Monica and ND come up with. 

23 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Have you not seen the Ratchet and Clank trailer/gameplay? The entire game would simply not exist on a PS4/XB1 or even PCs without that quality of SSD even if you downscale the visuals because the near instantaneous load times are part of the core game design of different rifts inside the levels. That's also basic launch level stuff. Just wait to see what Sony Santa Monica and ND come up with. 

I highly doubt that can't be replicated on a high end PC with any $80 SSD drive. The load time between universe jumps would probably be a few seconds longer.  

Edited by Vini
55 minutes ago, Vini said:

I highly doubt that can't be replicated on a high end PC with any $80 SSD drive. The load time between universe jumps would probably be a few seconds longer.  

'High end PC with $80 SSD Drive'. MS isn't going for games that have high end pc as minimum requirements. Their games are going to scale visually and performance wise a lot further down because they are not going to incorporate those type of features into the gameplay. 

and for the record a few seconds longer would change the entire game. This isn't a few seconds longer at the start of the level, this is mid action and gameplay. Simply wouldn't be designed like that is each right had a 5-10 second load. 

13 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

'High end PC with $80 SSD Drive'. MS isn't going for games that have high end pc as minimum requirements. Their games are going to scale visually and performance wise a lot further down because they are not going to incorporate those type of features into the gameplay. 

and for the record a few seconds longer would change the entire game. This isn't a few seconds longer at the start of the level, this is mid action and gameplay. Simply wouldn't be designed like that is each right had a 5-10 second load. 

Really, you think so?  The character isn't controllable during those transitions... so being 2 seconds longer wouldn't change much of anything imo.

Another thing I noted when watching the trailer over and over again is that all those transitions appear to be on rails.  Meaning the game absolutely knows when you're going to teleport and it knows exactly to where.  Don't get me wrong... that doesn't make it any less impressive... but there DOES appear to be a form of predictability to it.  Those entire world shifts don't appear to be something like Portal where you're actually walking through the portal and controlling the character through it all.  Yes, there are "mini inner level portals" that they show, but that's different to the impressive world transitions.

I honestly think that everything done in R&C PS5 could be done on a standard SATA SSD.  Yes it would require an SSD... but not an NVMe SSD.  Which I think is what a lot of games will be targeting at first to hit that PC target, especially the MS ones.  A ton of PC players have SATA SSDs, and they are really cheap, so the market would be there.  Then later on in the gen, games requiring NMVe will be commonplace.

That's my guess anyway.