Open Club  ·  22 members  ·  Rules

All Things Politics

Long term social implications of living through Covid-19

Has anyone else pondered about the long term consequences of people from different age groups living through this?
Kids no longer able to properly socialize in their most important formative years? How many weirdos will that produce in the long run and what possible long term illnesses?
Then there's the upcoming winter period, many have already been through some sort of lockdown around spring and are (already) in for a second bout. The mysterious novelty of the first lockdown has worn off, people know what to expect now and it seems to hit them a lot harder than before from what I've noticed.
There's also people who lost someone of course but I want to open up a conversation on those living through it without the fatalities.
What's your take on it, how are you holding up? How are your family and friends doing and did you notice some reoccurring trend that's not being broadly discussed in the media? 

10 minutes ago, Ike said:

It's affecting my 8 year old daughter very hard actually. :(

That's sad man, I keep seeing snippets of video reports on the news here and they force kids to sit so far apart in their classrooms, on the playgrounds etc. zero interaction when kids do nothing but chase each other and run around at that age. Then once they are off they can't even go to friends or invite them over, that's not healthy period. 

Throw her a big ass party once it's all over :dame:

6 minutes ago, bhytre said:

That's sad man, I keep seeing snippets of video reports on the news here and they force kids to sit so far apart in their classrooms, on the playgrounds etc. zero interaction when kids do nothing but chase each other and run around at that age. Then once they are off they can't even go to friends or invite them over, that's not healthy period. 

Throw her a big ass party once it's all over :dame:

She was homeschooled to begin with before this but it crushes my heart hearing her talk about how she can't see her friends. She also can't even see me right now and I haven't even given her or my son a real hug since March. They live with their mom in a group home that needs to stay isolated and closed. It's hard man. :mjcry:

• Sad 1

This problem would not be a "long term" problem if a competent federal government took care of this when other countries were taking care of it.

We could have had a Summer and early Fall where we return to mostly normal, if we took care of shit with a hard lockdown back in late March, and most of April, and the first half of May.

And that way, we could have avoided "Pandemic Fatigue" when it inevitably came back in the Fall entering Winter, and we would be in better shape, physically and mentally, to handle a second hard lockdown. Especially out frontline healthcare workers.

You think you're suffering from long-term effects? For our healthcare workers, this is like sending them to the Western Front in World War I during May, them coming back battered, and then sending them back to the Western Front again during August, and them coming back in even worse shape, and now you're sending them back out to the Western Front again in November, and the front is even more brutal than the previous two times. (For reference, most soldiers in WW1 did not go to the frontlines multiple times)

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

This problem would not be a "long term" problem if a competent federal government took care of this when other countries were taking care of it.

We could have had a Summer and early Fall where we return to mostly normal, if we took care of shit with a hard lockdown back in late March, and most of April, and the first half of May.

And that way, we could have avoided "Pandemic Fatigue" when it inevitably came back in the Fall entering Winter, and we would be in better shape, physically and mentally, to handle a second hard lockdown. Especially out frontline healthcare workers.

You think you're suffering from long-term effects? For our healthcare workers, this is like sending them to the Western Front in World War I during May, them coming back battered, and then sending them back to the Western Front again during August, and them coming back in even worse shape, and now you're sending them back out to the Western Front again in November, and the front is even more brutal than the previous two times. (For reference, most soldiers in WW1 did not go to the frontlines multiple times)

How can you still use that excuse when it’s spiking in all the european countries that supposedly ‘took care’ of it earlier in the year? Look at Spain, Italy, France, etc. they’re all practically back to where they were originally despite supposedly handling things far better than the U.S....

8 hours ago, Twinblade said:

How can you still use that excuse when it’s spiking in all the european countries that supposedly ‘took care’ of it earlier in the year? Look at Spain, Italy, France, etc. they’re all practically back to where they were originally despite supposedly handling things far better than the U.S....

except they can actually be trusted to shut it down and get it under control, unlike Trump's failure of a federal government.

It was always going to come back as a second wave during winter.  Always.

What you don't understand is that in America............we're still on the first wave because we never stopped it.

9 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Cases are soaring here too.. We took it seriously. Everyone is wearing masks and it's still record breaking numbers everyday 😒

1 hour ago, Cooke (not admin cant help said:

Cases are soaring here too.. We took it seriously. Everyone is wearing masks and it's still record breaking numbers everyday 😒

except twinblade is trying to say that the United States, in the grand scheme of things, isn't worse off than other countries because eventually another wave arrives in the Winter for all countries.

Which is stupid, of course.

The United States, and its healthcare system, is already weakened because we never dealt with the "first wave". And our people aren't ready for another spike because they have "Pandemic Fatigue" because..........we never dealt with the first wave.

The other countries will flatten their curves this winter a hell of alot faster than the United States.

Edited by jehurey