Open Club  ·  22 members  ·  Rules

All Things Politics

Why Biden should pardon Trump

24 minutes ago, Voidler said:

An illegal invasion of Iraq and lying the country into war for oil, just unethical?

Selling illegal weapons to Iran just unethical?

Smuggling cocaine into the country just unethical?

Funding right wing terrorist contras in South America just unethical?

Okay mate

Yes.. all unethical. 

I would imagine that the Reagan administration selling weapons to Iran in order to use that money to fund Guerillas and give them weapons in South America is quite illegal.

Which is why Oliver North pleaded to all of it, and then Reagan commuted his sentence.

And Republicans actually love "Ollie North" and consider him to be some sort of folk hero.

2 hours ago, Voidler said:

Hope so

But Bush and his administration should have been tried for war crimes so I'm not hopeful

Instead we've had liberals completely reforming his image in the Trump era and Bush republicans aligning with Democrats via the Lincoln project

They did it to Reagan as well

Liberals reformed Bush's image????????????????????????????????????

The hell are you talking about?

Liberals simply mention Bush's better qualities in passing...........liberals are making no effort to "reform" Bush's image. Even during administration, liberals would say that he seems like if it wasn't engaged in shit that clearly appears to be coming from Dick Cheney's wing of the White House, Bush seems like a likable personality.

I am reminded of Jon Stewart interviewing Former British PM Tony Blair (I think he was still current PM at the time), and Jon Stewart was skewering him and finally asked him point blank, why does he seem to being hanging around Bush, why is he even friends with him?

And Tony Blair really looks ashamed in that moment, and he pauses and says "I....I like him."  And Stewart is excited and exasperated at the same time, and he responds "I KNEW IT. I can see that he looks, if he wasn't part of all this bullshit, he seems like he would be extremely likable."

That's always been the general consensus on Bush from the liberal side. The SEE that deep in there, at times, he can have a likable personality. But no liberal has forgotten the Iraqi and Afghanistan war, the fact that he didn't do anything on the intelligence he received exactly one month before the 9/11 attacks, Hurricane Katrina, and him introducing (or re-introducing) Dick Cheney, Karl Rove, Albert Gonzales, and other terrible people who worked to take away our freedoms and turn this country into a surveillance state.

5 hours ago, jehurey said:

Liberals reformed Bush's image????????????????????????????????????

The hell are you talking about?

Liberals simply mention Bush's better qualities in passing...........liberals are making no effort to "reform" Bush's image. Even during administration, liberals would say that he seems like if it wasn't engaged in shit that clearly appears to be coming from Dick Cheney's wing of the White House, Bush seems like a likable personality.

I am reminded of Jon Stewart interviewing Former British PM Tony Blair (I think he was still current PM at the time), and Jon Stewart was skewering him and finally asked him point blank, why does he seem to being hanging around Bush, why is he even friends with him?

And Tony Blair really looks ashamed in that moment, and he pauses and says "I....I like him."  And Stewart is excited and exasperated at the same time, and he responds "I KNEW IT. I can see that he looks, if he wasn't part of all this bullshit, he seems like he would be extremely likable."

That's always been the general consensus on Bush from the liberal side. The SEE that deep in there, at times, he can have a likable personality. But no liberal has forgotten the Iraqi and Afghanistan war, the fact that he didn't do anything on the intelligence he received exactly one month before the 9/11 attacks, Hurricane Katrina, and him introducing (or re-introducing) Dick Cheney, Karl Rove, Albert Gonzales, and other terrible people who worked to take away our freedoms and turn this country into a surveillance state.

Please, you're doing it as you speak. Oh but he's a nice guy, he only let people die in the Hurricane Katrina response! But he's got a dumb southern charm.

Sure he oversaw the crashing of the world economy. But at least he wasn't rude!

Sure a million Iraqis died, but have you seen his cute little paintings? And he is adorable with Michelle Obama. Ellen likes him!

Come the fuck on. 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Voidler said:

Please, you're doing it as you speak. Oh but he's a nice guy, he only let people die in the Hurricane Katrina response! But he's got a dumb southern charm.

Sure he oversaw the crashing of the world economy. But at least he wasn't rude!

Sure a million Iraqis died, but have you seen his cute little paintings? And he is adorable with Michelle Obama. Ellen likes him!

Come the fuck on. 

You're an idiot if you think that's reforming.

If anything, its liberals actually not being completely one-dimensional in their thinking. Nobody here is saying that a nice personality is able to get somebody exonerated from horrific policy mistakes.

Your analysis comes off as "try hard."

Edited by jehurey
2 hours ago, jehurey said:

You're an idiot if you think that's reforming.

If anything, its liberals actually not being completely one-dimensional in their thinking. Nobody here is saying that a nice personality is able to get somebody exonerated from horrific policy mistakes.

Your analysis comes off as "try hard."

I think we can split the difference. The mainstream left, and especially media have seemed to soften on Bush due to time and Trump being so terrible that the Bush family was viewed far more kindly than in previous years. This however isn't really liberals giving him comfort and laundering his past. Obviously Bush is a war criminal, mostly through negligence than anything else.  After seeing a rotting hole of a human being like Trump, I think people were able to show a bit of empathy towards Bush with both his parents being so-near death at the time and President Joffrey actually showing with a souless monsters President looks like.