News Sony Q3 earnings call: Plan to release 10 live service games by 2026

I remember when cows said Sony wasn't going to do this stuff.  They weren't going to copy MS with a subscription service like GamePass.. and they weren't going to make live service games... :feelsbadman:

Now they're creaming their pants for more Destiny :hest:

47 minutes ago, Remij said:

I remember when cows said Sony wasn't going to do this stuff.  They weren't going to copy MS with a subscription service like GamePass.. and they weren't going to make live service games... :feelsbadman:

Or make multiplatform games. Thats top priority for them now.

image.png.e1df72433cde441f9aaba43154bcb138.png

Edited by JonbX
1 hour ago, Remij said:

Too bad I can't remember when you weren't butthurt.

Guess what, if they are live service games, then they are not core Playstation exclusives. Because those are single-player, mostly offline, games.

A live service game is not what GamePass is.

GamePass is a rental service. 

Halo Infinite multiplayer attempted to be a live service game................attempted.:shrug:

Seems like Sony is doing something very similar to what Nintendo did. They are ADDING NEW THINGS to branch out.

Nintendo ended up "going to mobile." Except not in any way that changed their core games.

Edited by jehurey
58 minutes ago, JonbX said:

Or make multiplatform games. Thats top priority for them now.

image.png.e1df72433cde441f9aaba43154bcb138.png

Actually that slide specifically states that they are making Bungie handle that for them.

Seems similar to Nintendo going to Niantic for mobile gaming and never really changing their internal studios and how they make games.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Actually that slide specifically states that they are making Bungie handle that for them.

Seems similar to Nintendo going to Niantic for mobile gaming and never really changing their internal studios and how they make games.

Nintendo didn’t buy Niantic 

1 minute ago, ghostz said:

Nintendo didn’t buy Niantic 

Correct. They pretty much hired them to work as a second-party for those mobile games/services.

Other than that, the strategy appears quite similar.

Nintendo says "fine.......we'll put games on mobile" and they hire a developer to "expand" Animal Crossing and Mario Kart and Super Mario. But they don't really get the REAL Animal Crossing/MarioKart/Super Mario.

Sony says "fine....we do some multiplayer stuff and expand our IPs" and they buy Bungie to do that.

Wouldn't be surprised if Bungie resurrects SOCOM or MAG or similar properties like that.

2 hours ago, -GD-X said:

i just hope single player continues to be priority. i have 0 interest in this multiplayer stuff.

Oh it will.  Their SP powerhouses will still focus on that.  But they'll definitely be growing and finding ways to monetize their IP with live service games as well. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Team 2019 said:

I like Destiny though cause its a cool loot RPG shooter like Borderlands. I hope Bungie's next game is a loot PVE/PVP game otherwise zero interest.

You hope Bungie's next game is..........Destiny... or you'll have zero interest???

How about just play destiny.

2 hours ago, Team 2019 said:

Who said it should be an FPS?

They're FPS gods so I hope their next game is in touch with what they are known for. 
Also don't think Sony bought them knowing their next game is going to add another 3rd person action game to their roster. 

It will be a FPS, whether it's more Overwatch or Destiny we don't know.