Elden Ring is the best open world game ever created

I think Elden Ring is the best open world game ever and BotW is  one of the most overrated game ever :shrug:

BotW definitely set the blueprint for ER, but BotW was literally an empty canvas compared to this. The improvements that BotW made in open world design also brought along numerous negatives. World was empty af, not rewarding at all (korok seeds...yay), exploring to find a shrine (which looks identical to all other shrines) which is basically just a teleport to a separate level (not really open world design at all, even AC has all it's tombs, catacombs, puzzles, etc in the actual open world), no dungeons, average combat, weapon degradation, limited enemy types, massive parts of exploration limited by the stamina bar, etc. Could legit go on and on. 

Elden Ring is the BotW template but filled in perfectly from every facet. It has the Souls tier level design in the open world, it has top tier combat, most rewarding exploration ever, more enemy variety and bosses than maybe any game I've ever seen, puzzles integrated into the open world, quests integrated into the open world, an insane amount of lore and characters to dive in and an absolutely immense sense of scale. 

• aitch 1
1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

Yasss! 100% about BOTW. I want to give Elden Ring a shot because it sounds like it actually meets the hype. I love wandering around a world if it’s a world worth exploring. 

I remember telling you it’s not noob friendly but it gets way easier as you level up. Well, at least in some areas…

5 minutes ago, ghostz said:

I remember telling you it’s not noob friendly but it gets way easier as you level up. Well, at least in some areas…

Yeah. That’s what I’ve been hearing. 

I havent found it too hard

Most deaths are pretty forgiving because its an open world and it usually respawn you close by in easy reach by horse. And you rarely ever lose your shit because its an open world and its easier to recover things than in tight corridors 

Only had a few weird difficulty spikes. I'm not even that good at these games, I just enjoy it and use summoning when I want the help or grind some levels. Its an RPG so you can just level up to reduce the difficulty

10 hours ago, Twinblade said:

BOTW's open world is incredibly overrated. The map is devoid of interesting locales and and it often feels like the only real content are the repetitive shrines that practically feel randomly generated in their design.

The level of interactivity with the physics engine (how objects influence the way things move) in combination with the Chemistry engine (how elements change the state of materials and other elements)  and the freedom to experiment with this on an true open scale was the co star of its open world deign.   

That's what developers praised, it wasn't just simply because it was a true open world go anywhere from the start game.  

Edited by Goukosan
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, madmaltese said:

I think Elden Ring is the best open world game ever and BotW is  one of the most overrated game ever :shrug:

BotW definitely set the blueprint for ER, but BotW was literally an empty canvas compared to this. The improvements that BotW made in open world design also brought along numerous negatives. World was empty af, not rewarding at all (korok seeds...yay), exploring to find a shrine (which looks identical to all other shrines) which is basically just a teleport to a separate level (not really open world design at all, even AC has all it's tombs, catacombs, puzzles, etc in the actual open world), no dungeons, average combat, weapon degradation, limited enemy types, massive parts of exploration limited by the stamina bar, etc. Could legit go on and on. 

Elden Ring is the BotW template but filled in perfectly from every facet. It has the Souls tier level design in the open world, it has top tier combat, most rewarding exploration ever, more enemy variety and bosses than maybe any game I've ever seen, puzzles integrated into the open world, quests integrated into the open world, an insane amount of lore and characters to dive in and an absolutely immense sense of scale. 

I don't disagree necessarily. But I think the key part of the empty canvas statement is compared to this. Cause that's true, but you compare it to any other open world game and it absolutely shits on them.

In terms of the specific negatives. The world was "empty" i suppose, but that's very much by design (and frankly still pretty true of elden ring), the reward of these games is the exploration and discovery in and of itself. I'm glad you brought up Assassin's Creed because BOTW is the antithesis of that, a game that is far from empty but is instead completely lifeless because they're just so full of unfiltered garbage for the sake of filling up a map. Assassin's Creed is the blueprint for an awful open world game and it's a travesty so much of the industry has wasted time copying it.

Completely agreed on the lack of proper dungeons, that's the biggest improvement elden ring has made, taking the blueprint and fusing their more traditional design elements into it. I hope BOTW2 does the same.

Weapon degradation I understand, though I think that and the stamina play a major role in the "discovery as a reward" system that both BOTW and ER use. ER accomplishes this by using FROMs patented brutal combat, which is obviously more effective. That said, I don't think either of these games work as well without something that helps make the discovery feel like an accomplishment.

So yeah, not disagreeing at all that Elden Ring is BOTW template perfected. I think there's a lot of improvements to be made to BOTW2 that could get it closer, I also think that the FROM design as a whole allows them to more naturally fix the blemishes BOTW had. It really was a perfect and natural fit and I'm just glad we got it. I still think BOTW absolutely shits on basically every other open world game, especially anything made by or inspired by ubisoft. And I do wonder if Elden Ring happens in a world where BOTW doesn't exist. I still think we end up with an open world souls, and it would still be great, I'm just not sure it would look like this.

EDIT: Just to add I do think it's a bit reductionist/revisionist when people say the BOTW world is all korok seeds and copy paste dungeons. I have a hard time believing anyone who said that played more than 10 hours of the game tbh. And to @Goukosan point the physics and

chemistry stuff is a huge part of that game.

Edited by Casual
8 hours ago, ghostz said:

yeah it follows the typical from curve where the beginning is hard, you hit a bit of a sweet spot with gear and stuff clicking in the middle and it becomes easier. i imagine we'll get the spike at the end game/optional content.

lmfao sheep cope, they can't help but trying to worm in Breath of The Stank in every open world game discussion :hest: 

Elden Ring killed Zelflop and any future Zelflop iteration.

It's too late, let go, it's over nobody plays on Nintendoooo :will2: