So who is the second best dev recently?

5 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

yeah, they seem to be a one trick pony (though, that pony is more like a trojan horse). however, i would like to see more range. i'm curious as to how playground games will handle fable.

I really hope they reveal Fable soon. Now that FH5 is out im sure thats their focus.

FROM is easily the best dev (for me personally) in the last decade.. despite the fact that they are still mostly iterating on the same formula.

But cmon... the best developer ever?

That's easily Nintendo.  And yea, I'm going to lump all of their studios in together because so many of their star developers have come from all the various Nintendo studios and have touched many of their franchises.  NOBODY compares to Nintendo IMO.  When a core game comes out in one of their franchises.. they usually always nail it.  Quality is always high.  They're responsible for so many amazing franchises and characters. They are masters at reinvigorating classic franchises with new twists which they integrate perfectly.  They've innovated countless times in controls and features.  It's pretty easy in my eyes.

The corporate side is where most of the bullshit comes from... but when it comes to game development... They're as tight as can be and always execute.  Their software studios are mostly let down by their hardware restrictions and infrastructure. 

As a side point, if Nintendo had the hardware and online of a Sony or MS console... and the games of Nintendo... along with all the biggest 3rd party bangers which that hardware would allow for....... Nintendo would be unstoppable.

48 minutes ago, Remij said:

FROM is easily the best dev (for me personally) in the last decade.. despite the fact that they are still mostly iterating on the same formula.

But cmon... the best developer ever?

I said recently though. Not ever. 

Naughty Dog clearly Top 3 if not at the very top. They not only have started new IPs constantly between generations (from Crash, to Jak to UC to TLOU) but no one has more GOTY awards overall than them in the last decade. 

From a pure objective point of view, they won the most GOTY awards in:

2021 - TLOU2 (most GOTY awards for a single game ever)

2016 - UCIV

2013 - TLOU

2009 - UC2

I mean that's insane. UC3 is the only major game they have released form their last 5 that wasn't the biggest GOTY award winner in it's release year. 

No one else is even close to that. 

Source: https://www.gameawards.net/

• aitch 1
9 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Naughty Dog clearly Top 3 if not at the very top. They not only have started new IPs constantly between generations (from Crash, to Jak to UC to TLOU) but no one has more GOTY awards overall than them in the last decade. 

From a pure objective point of view, they won the most GOTY awards in:

2021 - TLOU2 (most GOTY awards for a single game ever)

2016 - UCIV

2013 - TLOU

2009 - UC2

I mean that's insane. UC3 is the only major game they have released form their last 5 that wasn't the biggest GOTY award winner in it's release year. 

No one else is even close to that. 

Source: https://www.gameawards.net/

naughty dog is definitely my favorite. though, i can see their games not appealing to everyone.

Just now, -GD-X said:

naughty dog is definitely my favorite. though, i can see their games not appealing to everyone.

Yeah it's a very specific taste, but so is FROM Software. FROM are amazing and would be in that Top 3 too for me, but they have just iterated on the same formula. I think ND takes bigger risks. 

• aitch 1

Insomniac probably. Their output us been amazing and was a steal of an acquisition by Sony at only $229m. Spider-Man 2 is probably going to make triple that. Miles Morales already recouped their investment if not outright turned a profit.