Steam Deck - The thread

There's so much info and news coming out it might be easier to keep it all contained in one place :reg:

Top 10 most played games for October 2022 by daily average user count

Vampire Survivors
    Persona 5 Royal
    UNCHARTED: collection
    Gotham Knights
    Potionomics
    Coral Island
    Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
    Victoria 3
    TRIANGLE STRATEGY
    SIGNALIS - (Wonder how twinkie found this on his Ayaneo :sass2:)

Top 10 most played games by hours played

Vampire Survivors
    ELDEN RING
    Cyberpunk 2077
    Stardew Valley
    No Man's Sky
    Fallout 4
    Hades
    Persona 5 Royal
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim SE
    Grand Theft Auto V

Vampire Survivors became the Mario 64/Halo of this device :lul:

• Like 1

I've been really considering on lately. The emulation specifically looks rad.

I probably shouldn't, I'm by my PC all day for work anyway, I drive to work when I commute and I rarely fly. Still, it's appealing. Maybe when the next iteration comes out.

7 minutes ago, Casual said:

I've been really considering on lately. The emulation specifically looks rad.

I probably shouldn't, I'm by my PC all day for work anyway, I drive to work when I commute and I rarely fly. Still, it's appealing. Maybe when the next iteration comes out.

it's an extremely cool piece of hardware, so i totally get the appeal.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

SteamOS is such a great way to play PC games. Makes Windows feel 'legacy'.

Yeah except for all the games you can't play easily because they aren't on steam. Massive ones like COD and Diablo 4. 

57 minutes ago, Cooke said:

Yeah except for all the games you can't play easily because they aren't on steam. Massive ones like COD and Diablo 4. 

CoD has anticheat shit, but I'm hearing Diablo4 does play. I got Diablo2 working myself without any trouble.

1 hour ago, Cooke said:

That's an Activision problem, not a Valve problem.

Sugarhigh is right steamos does indeed make windows feel legacy. While anything from Gog is easy to get running and integrates nicely, I can imagine that some 3rd party launchers and games aren't so simple. The solution is to ask the company to support your hardware, release games on the storefront of your choice, and not incude bullshit DRM. It all comes down to greed. They only want the games on their platform because they dont want to have to pay any fees, they force their bullshit clients into games because that way its easier to get you to sign up  and they ignore any platform that doesn't have mass appeal. All this while they run the Diablo franchise into the ground chasing saudi princes and twitch streamers who are confortable dropping 25k on a game to unlock lootboxes.

The support so far has been pretty good. I dont expect every major game to go out of its way but if steamdeck keeps growing you will see easier integration when publishers like activision decide they want a slice of that pie.

8 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

That's an Activision problem, not a Valve problem.

Sugarhigh is right steamos does indeed make windows feel legacy. While anything from Gog is easy to get running and integrates nicely, I can imagine that some 3rd party launchers and games aren't so simple. The solution is to ask the company to support your hardware, release games on the storefront of your choice, and not incude bullshit DRM. It all comes down to greed. They only want the games on their platform because they dont want to have to pay any fees, they force their bullshit clients into games because that way its easier to get you to sign up  and they ignore any platform that doesn't have mass appeal. All this while they run the Diablo franchise into the ground chasing saudi princes and twitch streamers who are confortable dropping 25k on a game to unlock lootboxes.

The support so far has been pretty good. I dont expect every major game to go out of its way but if steamdeck keeps growing you will see easier integration when publishers like activision decide they want a slice of that pie.

Yeah I don't give a fuck about Diablo immortal. D4 is going to be amazing though.

9 hours ago, Cooke said:

Yeah I don't give a fuck about Diablo immortal. D4 is going to be amazing though.

I guess what I was saying was the platform exists (Steam) and it's good, the anticheat support for things like EAC and Battleye are there and Valve does Proton so 3rd parties don't even have to port games natively.  Some companies like Sony are taking advantage of this and boasting about how great their games on on the Deck.

At this point if there is an issue with some Activision-Blizzard games then it's on them. Everyone else has done the work for them, they just choose to go their own route because they want to push their own store (which is terrible btw).

5 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

Finally in the beta update you can pick what drive you're installing to :blessed: I dont know why it took so long to bring this over from desktop.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/11/steam-deck-beta-update-now-always-shows-the-drive-picker-when-installing-games/

You could always do it in a round-about way.  You basically would have to set whatever drive you wanted it installed on as your primary drive.  It was a PITA though, and now of course this is much better. :glad: 

New update out.  Updates Deck to the latest version of Arch Linux.

SteamOS 3.4 Preview - Updates to desktop, performance settings, storage and more
Note
: This update is for the Steam Deck Preview channel, and includes new features that are still being tested. You can opt into this in Settings > System > Steam Update Channel.

• Rebased SteamOS on the latest version of Arch Linux
  • Performance profiles
  • Storage
  • Input
  • Audio
  • General
    • This update pulls in the latest performance, security and stability fixes for the underlying packages that are the foundation for SteamOS
    • Most notably, this includes recent changes to KDE Plasma, Steam Deck's Desktop Mode. Full notes on these updates can be found on KDE's website here, here, and here. Here are a few of the highlights:
      • New Overview view to see all open windows and virtual desktops
      • Updates to KRunner, the built in assistant for searching and running tasks
      • New touchscreen gestures
      • New themes and wallpapers
      • Updates to widgets
    • New option to allow Screen Tearing
    • Changed performance HUD level 2 to use a horizontal layout. It fits in the letterbox space for games running in a 16:9 aspect ratio.
    • Re-enabled TRIM for the internal drive as well as supported external storage devices, improving write performance
      • This includes a workaround ensuring that TRIM operations are safe for SD cards that advertise discard support but do not support it
      • Steam will periodically TRIM storage devices as needed
      • New button in Settings → System → Advanced to run trim immediately
    • Added an eject option for removable drives in Settings → Storage
      • This unmounts the removable drive, it does not physically eject it
    • External drives formatted as ext4 are now automatically mounted and available for use in Steam
    • Disabled built-in DualShock 4 and DualSense trackpad → mouse emulation when Steam is running
    • Changed timing of virtual keypresses to improve game compatibility with on-screen keyboard
      • Fixes input issues with apps such as Street Fighter V, EA app
    • Fixed Steam Input's action set switching based on cursor visibility in Game mode
    • Re-enabled the built-in gamepad driver when Steam is not running in desktop mode
    • Fixed a case where the default audio device would display "echo-cancel-sink" and audio controls would cease to work correctly
    • Fixed a case where some applications would output audio to the wrong device
    • Fixed an issue with HDMI/DisplayPort audio going to sleep after being idle on external displays
    • Fixed a performance issue that could cause 100ms hitches during gameplay if adaptive backlight was enabled
    • Fixed issue with opening file managers if the gamescope session has been restarted
    • Fixed issues with sleep / wake for a number of titles
    • Fixed GPU clock settings sometimes not sticking if set manually (thanks to user xperia64 for the amdgpu kernel patch backport)
    • Fixed an issue with fan controller excessive sensor polling causing sporadic fan behavior and higher SSD temps on some NVME drives
    • New firmware for Docking Station
      • Fixes an issue where HDMI 2.0 displays are not detected during wake or boot up
    • Known Issue
      : Chinese Pinyin and Zhuyin input for the on-screen keyboard are not currently functioning correctly - we are aware of the issues and will address in an upcoming update

@TLHBO @sugarhigh @Cooke Just keeps getting massively better and better. :wow2: 

• Upvote 1