Supermassive PSVR2 Horror Game Will Feature Eye Blinking-Responsive Enemies

supermassive-psvr2-horror-game-eye-track

A door painted with the instruction ‘don’t blink’ opens up into a room of blood-smeared mannequins in harlequin masks, their bodies twisted into unnatural poses.
Eventually we can’t help it any more, and let our eyelids flutter closed.
When they open again, the mannequins have been rearranged – or have rearranged themselves.
Another blink, and it happens again, except that one of them has now come to life.
As we repeat this process, we learn to use our eyes tactically, only blinking once our guns are readied.

Game Director Alejandro Arqué Gallardo also mentions in the article that the studio isn’t obligated to make use of PSVR2’s hardware features.

“We were basically creating the design of the level itself and then asking: how can we make it more real, using everything that we have at our disposal?” he states.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sony deserves huge credit for being the only one doing VR. Major appeal of the system.

Well we can't control our pupils on demand like that. You can change your focal plane or focus on something lighter/darker to force your pupil to constrict or expand, but neither of those works well w

It depends on how immersive you want your games to be. Just look at sims like DCS. I tried it out, and you literally have to follow a checklist to correctly start up the engine. Like starting the APU,

14 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

while its cool that the headset is capable of that, it seems like it'll be annoying more than anything else. VR is already a strain on your eyes so the last thing I want to do is play a game where I have to minimize my blinking.

Agreed. Seems like a dumb gimmick, as 99.9% of VR is, but at least they’re trying to innovate. 

Another stupid on Rails game tho, smh. VR is a joke. 

Edited by Jerrys Hair Line

LOL I don't watch BBC programming, but even I know the Doctor Who episode of the demon angels who move when you blink.

So you alternate blinking.

They had already figured out this game mechanic with the initial trailer a while ago.

But this is a clever use of the eye tracking sensor, and it shows that the sensor is so fast and so precise that it can change the position of the character models within the time you blink your eyes.

The eye tracking sensor also detects when your pupil grows or shrinks, so if you try to view a distant object, your pupils naturally get bigger to focus.

You can control menus with your vision and confirm with blinking your eyes.

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

LOL I don't watch BBC programming, but even I know the Doctor Who episode of the demon angels who move when you blink.

So you alternate blinking.

They had already figured out this game mechanic with the initial trailer a while ago.

But this is a clever use of the eye tracking sensor, and it shows that the sensor is so fast and so precise that it can change the position of the character models within the time you blink your eyes.

The eye tracking sensor also detects when your pupil grows or shrinks, so if you try to view a distant object, your pupils naturally get bigger to focus.

You can control menus with your vision and confirm with blinking your eyes.

Unless it works 100% it’s a pointless feature imo 

51 minutes ago, Jerrys Hair Line said:

Oh nice how long have you been using PSVR2?

For as long as I can read the specs and understand what they are.

if you're too stupid to understand 80 year old infrared sensor technology, then that's on you.

this is using similar tech found on the Wiimote IR sensor.

Tell me did the Wiimote IR work?

Edited by jehurey
1 hour ago, jehurey said:

if you're too stupid to understand 80 year old infrared sensor technology, then that's on you.

Bad argument when Nintendo had to put out an extra tracking add-on a couple years later and it's still waggle.

3 hours ago, jehurey said:

You do realize you blink 15+ times a minute. How many times will you accidentally choose the wrong item because you involuntarily blinked?

Edited by Jerrys Hair Line
1 hour ago, Jerrys Hair Line said:

You do realize you blink 15+ times a minute. How many times will you accidentally choose the wrong item because you involuntarily blinked?

Nobody is going to implement the technology in that way.

3 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

Bad argument when Nintendo had to put out an extra tracking add-on a couple years later and it's still waggle.

No, that's for motion control, not IR pointing.

So we another person who is on the same intelligence level as ghost.

Just now, Jerrys Hair Line said:

:juggle:

LOL Sony's own people have talked about that.

And nobody will ever look to you to interpret what somebody else said.

They absolutely can design this........and there's already one game coming at its launch that will do this:

Playstation VR 2: Your eyes are part of the game in the tactical shooter “Firewall Ultra”

Firewall Zero Hour is one of the most popular games on Playstation VR. The successor, Firewall Ultra for PSVR 2, allows input via eye tracking.

LOL, you lost again:drake:

Just now, jehurey said:

LOL Sony's own people have talked about that.

And nobody will ever look to you to interpret what somebody else said.

They absolutely can design this........and there's already one game coming at its launch that will do this:

Playstation VR 2: Your eyes are part of the game in the tactical shooter “Firewall Ultra”

Firewall Zero Hour is one of the most popular games on Playstation VR. The successor, Firewall Ultra for PSVR 2, allows input via eye tracking.

LOL, you lost again:drake:

no one is saying it can’t be done. We’re saying it would be awful and unpractical.