So cloud gaming was supposed to start to replace current consoles

Cloud streaming is fucked for another generation. Local streaming is working great right now. I can play God of War Ragnarok on my Steam Deck anywhere in the house.

I think Stadia actually approached streaming in a good way. The problem is they went from a proof of concept to a "console launch" before building a 1st party publisher. Launching without a big exclusive is the kiss of death for any platform.

Edited by sugarhigh

:mj: Another stupid prediction from retarded lemshits that failed to materialize.

MS is pushing the whole cloud shit because they are getting their asses handed to them by Sony and Nintendo and need a distraction. In the leaked court documents they even admit that cloud gaming isn't ready for primetime.

Lemshits know cloud gaming is horseshit too if not they would have all sold their consoles and converted to Xcloud gaming but none of them have done this.

6 hours ago, -GD-X said:

it killed off traditional handhelds, though.

did it though?

3DS was doing just fine while mobile gaming was peaking. if anything Wii U failing killed off traditional handhelds since nintendo was forced to merge streams, imo.

I was just looking at a thread on the r/movies subreddit in which people are having a revelation that 1080p blu-rays and 4K blu-rays absolutely blow any form of streaming video out of the water.

Its even worse when streaming video games.

There's no point in streaming anything more than 1080p with graphics quality on the level of PS4.

1 hour ago, Casual said:

did it though?

3DS was doing just fine while mobile gaming was peaking. if anything Wii U failing killed off traditional handhelds since nintendo was forced to merge streams, imo.

3DS sales weren’t nearly as strong as DS.

44 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I was just looking at a thread on the r/movies subreddit in which people are having a revelation that 1080p blu-rays and 4K blu-rays absolutely blow any form of streaming video out of the water.

Its even worse when streaming video games.

There's no point in streaming anything more than 1080p with graphics quality on the level of PS4.

Eh, 4K streams look pretty great. Sure uncompressed looks better, but it’s diminishing returns. I edit 5,6 and even 8K raw video, and the clips still look amazing when compressed to a H264 (or 265) codec. 

41 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

3DS didn’t do as well as DS and Switch is a console/handheld hybrid. 

DS is the best selling handheld ever.... Comparing it directly to any handheld will make that other handheld look bad. 

3ds still sold almost 90 million. 

Edited by Goukosan
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

Eh, 4K streams look pretty great. Sure uncompressed looks better, but it’s diminishing returns. I edit 5,6 and even 8K raw video, and the clips still look amazing when compressed to a H264 (or 265) codec. 

Still dependent on bitrate, and the streaming services don't tell you what bitrate they're using anymore.

And audio is absolutely sacrificed.

Edited by jehurey
2 hours ago, -GD-X said:

3DS didn’t do as well as DS and Switch is a console/handheld hybrid. 

That's hardly being ''killed off''. 

I'm pretty sure the biggest appeal of the Switch is it's portability and not the other way around. I could be wrong though. 

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

Still dependent on bitrate, and the streaming services don't tell you what bitrate they're using anymore.

And audio is absolutely sacrificed.

Audio for sure! I’ll give you that. 

1 hour ago, Goukosan said:

DS is the best selling handheld ever.... Comparing it directly to any handheld will make that other handheld look bad. 

3ds still sold almost 90 million. 

Oh. My bad then. For some reason I thought it sold 45 million.