Is buying a Switch Lite really a bad idea?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Launch models are more susceptible to the drift... Since I got mine fixed by Nintendo for free about 4 years ago... It has not had the drift issue again.    Yes a successor is coming out soo

Just for fun. I had no plan on picking up NES games, it just sort of happened on a whim. The stickers on the cartridges were in great condition and the games were cheap, I'm not going to make money fr

Also, STEAM is an unreliable piece of trash. I always have issues with it, like my achievements being bugged out and not showing. I don't trust it anymore and I now think putting all my eggs in the sa

2 hours ago, Ramza said:

It's funny, everyone says no but I have yet to hear a single good argument other than the drift not being replaceable on the Lite. Which is not a guaranteed issue. 

Not being able to play my games on my TV is a 100% irrelevant to me at the moment. Let me put this into perspective, I haven't used my TV more than a few hours in the past 6 months because that one time the internet connection was down so I played my PS Mini. All my gaming has been done on a 15 inches laptop screen. I give zero fucks about the 'big screen' experience. 

I don't want to spend 450$ on old outdated hardware, I might as well use that to finance a PS5. So Lite it is. Have a nice day, you fools. 

Playing games for extending time on a handheld as you get older is not a comfortable experience imo. I had near perfect vision for a while but even I need to take breaks because of eye strain when playing my switch in handheld mode for extended periods of time. it doesn’t help that some games make HUD and UI elements ridiculously small. Your mileage will vary but having the option to play on a TV or other larger display is essential at least for me. The standard switch LCD is also very susceptible to glare and other issues depending on the lighting conditions (not sure how the OLED version compares). 

I had always wanted Sony or Nintendo to put out a new handheld but with time I’ve realized that gaming like that isn’t really ideal anymore at least for me.

1 minute ago, Team 2019 said:

You'll hate the controls, even vanilla switch right joycon is unplayable.

I played the Switch a bit in stores and at a friends house. Still a limited experience and I agree they must suck for FPS or action games but otherwise, I think I can live with that. 

What controller do you use then? 

I've seen the OLED model go on sale, and get down to $300, sometimes as low as $289 if I remember correctly from this past Christmas.

I mean, its really tricky. Because its hard to advise buying something so late in its lifecycle, there has to be another Switch coming within the next 18 months.

But at the same time, I don't recommend buying a used one, unless the seller has tons of photos showing it to be in fantastic condition.

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, Ramza said:

I played the Switch a bit in stores and at a friends house. Still a limited experience and I agree they must suck for FPS or action games but otherwise, I think I can live with that. 

What controller do you use then? 

I use the Pro controller.

I was considering the hori joycon.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hori+joy+con+pro&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiEgfjkz5D9AhUmPewKHTIPCLYQ2-cCegQIABAC&oq=hori+joy+con&gs_lcp=ChJtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1pbWcQARgBMgQIIxAnMgUIABCABDIGCAAQCBAeMgYIABAIEB4yBggAEAgQHlAAWABg_gpoAHAAeACAAawBiAGsAZIBAzAuMZgBAMABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-img&ei=TjHpY4SiJqb6sAeynqCwCw&bih=672&biw=360&client=ms-android-oneplus-rvo3&prmd=sivn

even ignoring drift, switch is one of the most uncomfortable/unergonomic form factors ever made. your hands could cramp up even just playing a demo. this includes the face buttons that are so small they can leave imprints on your fingertips. also, basically no developer formats their ui/fonts for handheld mode. so if you want to play for example one of those mid square enix rpgs like triangle strategy, you have to do so with tiny near unreadable text. also goes should without saying, that youll be playing with the worst specs/screen. if you dont care about any of that, go for it.

Edited by Quad Damage
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, Quad Damage said:

even ignoring drift, switch is one of the most uncomfortable/unergonomic form factors ever made. your hands could cramp up even just playing a demo. this includes the face buttons that are so small they can leave imprints on your fingertips. also, basically no developer formats their ui/fonts for handheld mode. so if you want to play for example one of those mid square enix rpgs like triangle strategy, you have to do so with tiny near unreadable text. also goes should without saying, that youll be playing with the worst specs/screen. if you dont care about any of that, go for it.

Triangle Strategy is a good example to use. I started off playing the demo in handheld mode and it actually turned me off of the game completely until I docked my switch and played it on my TV.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Saucer said:

So which Amiibos did you buy? :biggrin:

Solid Snake

Ryu

Solaire of Astora (Dark Souls)

Kazuya (Tekken)

Joker (Persona 5)

Palico (Monster Hunter)

Bokoblin (Breath of the Wild)

I mostly go for the third party characters as you can see. :D But I figure since they're collaborations with other companies they have a lot less chance of ever being redistributed and will probably gain more value over time.

I want the Dragon Quest XI main character next. 

I also have SMTV Collector Edition, AI The Somnium Files 2 Collector Edition, NIS Collection Volume 3 Limited Edition and SaGa Frontier Remastered (Asia import but fully in English). All new and sealed. 

I'm going back to the store tomorrow to exchange some of my old Dreamcast, PSP games. Gonna get my Switch Lite with at least one used game. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Quad Damage said:

Jesus christ. Talk about killing my mood. :deadest:

Oh and by the way, Triangle Strategy >>> fgt Fantasy 7 Remake. 

Mid Square Enix RPG my ass. 

• Ben 1
1 hour ago, Quad Damage said:

The drift is awful and yes, the joycons suck ass. They are only good for turn-based RPGs and adventure games. They are horrible for anything action-based. 

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

The drift is awful and yes, the joycons suck ass. They are only good for turn-based RPGs and adventure games. They are horrible for anything action-based. 

I'm gonna pure platinum Bayonetta 3 hardest difficulty with the shitty joycons. Watch me. :smoke: 

• dead 1

@Saucer

I couldn't trade my old games for a new platform. Only used ones, so my plan for getting a Switch Lite has failed. I think life is trying to send me a message. :happysad: 

I did get some interesting stuff though.

Strider (NES, cartridge only)

Trojan (NES, cartridge only) *never heard of it but I saw the Capcom logo and bought it.

Bad Dudes (NES, cartridge only)

WCW/NWO Revenge (N64, great condition for the box and complete with manual)

Chrono Cross (PS1, cracked box but everything else is great, I'll just replace it, easy profit)

Sairento VR (PSVR, new and sealed)

Meta Knight Amiibo (it was cheap) 

I could do this every day.

• Upvote 1