Switch successor faces backwards compatibility challenges, MVG suggests

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/switchs-successor-faces-backwards-compatibility-challenge-developer-suggests/

The Nintendo Switch currently uses the Tegra X1, a chip developed by NVIDIA that also powers Nvidia Shield Android TVs from 2015-2018, highlighting the age of the hardware.

“If Nintendo is to move away from the Tegra X1, which we all feel strongly that they will probably do, current Switch games won’t work on new hardware, that is without recompiling the games to target that hardware,” MVG explains.

The developer then posits several solutions for how Nintendo could get around this issue, such as software emulation, similar to that found within the Xbox Series consoles.

That’s disappointing. I was hoping some games that are demanding on Switch would get a visual bump on its successor.  However, that’s only a few titles, so it’s not a big loss. I just want to see a huge jump in graphics, comparable to the ps4 pro or one x. 

2 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

People have been talking about an X1 successor called Orin/Tegra239 for so long. If that's the chip, I wouldn't expect backward compatibility would be an issue.

how is the performance? a worthy upgrade?

I wouldnt even consider a Switch 2 without BC. Main reason i didnt get a Switch is because its a weak pos and games look and play like shit on it outside of nintendos stuff. Thats a big miss to not enhance the games that ran like shit on switch.

• Upvote 1

That's is his opinion on the matter, not a report on industry rumblings etc. 

GBA was backwards compatible with GB, DS was backwards compatible with GBA, 3DS backwards compatible with DS. 

Switch wasn't backwards compatible with 3DS because of the dual screen set up of the 3DS.

Switch 2 will be backwards compatible. When they announced NX they said one of the things they wanted to keep moving forward is your entire library of games coming forward with you with their systems.   That's the last official word they said on it. 

Edited by Goukosan
1 hour ago, Goukosan said:

That's is his opinion on the matter, not a report on industry rumblings etc. 

GBA was backwards compatible with GB, DS was backwards compatible with GBA, 3DS backwards compatible with DS. 

Switch wasn't backwards compatible with 3DS because of the dual screen set up of the 3DS.

Switch 2 will be backwards compatible. When they announced NX they said one of the things they wanted to keep moving forward is your entire library of games coming forward with you with their systems.   That's the last official word they said on it. 

So it will have weak ass graphics on day one. Who cares, people are ready for a new Nintendo console I think.