Final Fantasy XVI demo tomorrow.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m soooo sick of people complaining about games (and all forms of  entertainment) not having diversity. If devs want to have an all white, black or Asian cast…let them. Creative vision shouldn’t be c

I didn't get far into it but I think I played for close to a hour. Just going to post a few random thoughts   - The presentation can be quite good, especially during that big battle at the b

That article is from March.  They've been outraged since the game was announced.   In fact Eurogamer just made a new article about people boycotting FF16 because of it's lack of diversity an

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Nice, will check it out later.

I need impressions, my potential PS5 purchase is going to be based on FFXVI. 

But I think I rather invest into a new PC and get Starfield instead. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Ramza said:

I need impressions, my potential PS5 purchase is going to be based on FFXVI. 

But I think I rather invest into a new PC and get Starfield instead. 

FF16 is coming to Steam sometime next year also.

I didn't get far into it but I think I played for close to a hour. Just going to post a few random thoughts

- The presentation can be quite good, especially during that big battle at the beginning. Character models are alright, but not quite as detailed as in other triple A games. This is kind of expected though as it is a pretty sizeable game. My main problem with the visuals though is that it uses a kind of color grading that makes the colors and even light sources look muted and a bit washed out? hard to explain but even in well lit areas with sunlight it looks darker than it should.

-Music seems pretty epic

-The story and universe give me serious GoT vibes, and thematically its a bit darker than the typical FF game. I haven't gotten a full grasp of what goes on in the plot, but I think this could be one of the game's stronger aspects.

-The combat....leaves a bit to be desired if ill be honest. Like, it seems to have quite a few mechanics and systems, but the problem is that the core of it doesn't feel that good. The attacks just have this floaty, weightless feel to them that im not a fan of. Im surprised because SE already nailed real time combat with FF7 Remake, but this actually feels substantially worse in comparison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Finished the demo. The set pieces in this game are seriously impressive, and make the frame rate drops easily forgivable. I also got used to the art style, the muted look is to evoke the grittier and darker themes of the game.

Im still not sold on the combat though. The weightlessness along with the fact that some enemies (like bosses in particular) are damage sponges means that you spend a lot of time just spamming the attack button and it never really feels that satisfying.

• Upvote 2
29 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Im still not sold on the combat though. The weightlessness along with the fact that some enemies (like bosses in particular) are damage sponges means that you spend a lot of time just spamming the attack button and it never really feels that satisfying.

That's exactly how I envisioned the combat. That's not good. That might get boring after a while but it seems like there's not enough things to mix up farther in the game from what I've seen. Still won't change the feel of attacking though. 

• Upvote 1

Seriously though I absolutely dig the voice acting. Soundtrack seem pretty epic. I like the presentation, it's better than it's predecessor in that regard. Not sure about the plot itself though, sounds convoluted and Japanese-ish AF. 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Ramza said:

That's exactly how I envisioned the combat. That's not good. That might get boring after a while but it seems like there's not enough things to mix up farther in the game from what I've seen. Still won't change the feel of attacking though. 

The one positive from the early game combat is that the normal enemies die relatively fast, its only the bosses that are damage sponges. However, based on the footage i've seen the regular enemies will start becoming damage sponges as well. If thats the case then the combat is going to get old faaaaaast. No doubt about that.

Just now, Twinblade said:

The one positive from the early game combat is that the normal enemies die relatively fast, its only the bosses that are damage sponges. However, based on the footage i've seen the regular enemies will start becoming damage sponges as well. If thats the case then the combat is going to get old faaaaaast. No doubt about that.

They absolutely do and it's all based on the stagger mechanic. Which is seriously getting old at this point. 

Did the demo have the "Difficulty Modifier" accessories? Or at least that's what I call them. Some of the accessories the game is going to have are OP as fuck. I just want to know how OP are they because they honestly sounded game breaking.

9 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Did the demo have the "Difficulty Modifier" accessories? Or at least that's what I call them. Some of the accessories the game is going to have are OP as fuck. I just want to know how OP are they because they honestly sounded game breaking.

yeah but I guess they replace slots that could be used for other useful accessories. I think that’s how they will balance them.

3 hours ago, Twinblade said:

yeah but I guess they replace slots that could be used for other useful accessories. I think that’s how they will balance them.

Except that approach ain't going to balance the ones I'm talking about. They're so good there is zero reason to use anything else.

42 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Except that approach ain't going to balance the ones I'm talking about. They're so good there is zero reason to use anything else.

Maybe they’ll have them generate only after X number of deaths or something when doing a particularly difficult fight? :wonder: 

4 hours ago, Sabo said:

I mean they're really just an assist mode. They're meant to break the game. They're the equivalent of an "easy mode".

So just don't use them. Would you play the game on easy? If not then why use these.