Playstation Portal - $200.00 :D

Wait.. in the "Unofficial FAQ thread" on ResetERA they say the PS5 isn't capable of bluetooth audio?  Is that true?  I thought Jerry said that it supported it?

Q: I've read that this device does not support Bluetooth audio. How can I listen to games that I'm playing?
A: Correct, this device does not support bluetooth audio. Your options for listening to audio are to either use the built-in external speakers, or the headphone jack with wired headphones, or to use headphones/earbuds that are compatible with the PlayStation Link protocol. SIE has announced the new Pulse Explore wireless earbuds and Pulse Elite wireless headset that support the new PS Link protocol, and have stated that other headphone manufactures will be able to use the protocol in their headsets, so more compatible devices will enter the market in time.

Q: Why does this device not support Bluetooth audio?
A: Bluetooth audio for gaming introduces additional latency which can provide users with a sub-optimal laggy audio experience. The PS5 does not support Bluetooth audio and neither does the PS Portal.

Q: What is PlayStation Link?
A: PlayStation Link is a new protocol Sony recently announced to allow low latency, lossless audio to be transmitted to the headset.

So yea, if that indeed is the case, then there really is no chance of it supporting any other headsets.  lol

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wish I had a PS5 so I could sell it. 

Very smart. Take 200 dollars from idiot cows that already own a device that does the exact same thing this does

Posted Images

So I was thinking about this over the weekend.. and you know my opinion of this device as a portable hasn't changed at all...  When you look at it from the perspective of a portable.. it's abysmal.. There's a better device to spend $200 on that will allow you to play games in a corner somewhere while you family members watch the TV... and that's called the Switch Lite.

Now... on the other hand... if you look at this device from an "Enhanced" or "Pro" controller point of view... then it's actually not bad.  I've spent $200+ on an elite/pro controller before.. so it would be hypocritical of me to act like it's some obscene amount of money for what amounts to a controller with a screen (and a rather large one at that)....   And there-in lies the issue... IF this controller was able to be used to augment games... it would be so much cooler.  The PS5 could easily handle rendering a nice beautiful UI for games which could appear on the controller allowing less clutter on the main screen or whatever. 

Yes, it would basically be copying the WiiU.. and to an extent the VMU from Dreamcast way back in the day..  but it would be cool to see developers add some functionality like that into their games.

Edited by Remij
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

The should ditch the useless touch pad and put a screen right there. 

Yeah.. that's basically what I would have them do with a future console.  Include a little VMU like device with the controller but allow you to remove/insert it like a VMU-like device/touch screen and have it display game hud and even buttons for quick access and stuff like that.  I think having it as a separate thing and not built right into the controller is better because it would have it's own battery and wouldn't leech from the controller.

I always loved the idea of the VMU.  Such a cool idea...  Ahead of its time.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Remij said:

So I was thinking about this over the weekend.. and you know my opinion of this device as a portable hasn't changed at all...  When you look at it from the perspective of a portable.. it's abysmal.. There's a better device to spend $200 on that will allow you to play games in a corner somewhere while you family members watch the TV... and that's called the Switch Lite.

Now... on the other hand... if you look at this device from an "Enhanced" or "Pro" controller point of view... then it's actually not bad.  I've spent $200+ on an elite/pro controller before.. so it would be hypocritical of me to act like it's some obscene amount of money for what amounts to a controller with a screen (and a rather large one at that)....   And there-in lies the issue... IF this controller was able to be used to augment games... it would be so much cooler.  The PS5 could easily handle rendering a nice beautiful UI for games which could appear on the controller allowing less clutter on the main screen or whatever. 

Yes, it would basically be copying the WiiU.. and to an extent the VMU from Dreamcast way back in the day..  but it would be cool to see developers add some functionality like that into their games.

They won't.

It would mean designing two menus, one for Xbox and the other for pisstation.

More resources and we all know Sony are quick to release hardware and quickly abandon it.

Look at psvr2.

TCHBFR 

2 hours ago, Remij said:

You can't play big AAA games on a handheld in the corner, or in bed.

With all the bells and whistles turned on.

And that also applies to that Valve handheld.

While also maintaining the simplicity of turning on a console and getting into a game. Though not as fast as a Switch, since the PS5 takes a few more seconds to load up.

I hope they are able to program some pretty smooth macros to streamline the process, like I mentioned that Wii U Gamepad having a small menu that gave you some options to choose which you game you want the console to pre-load upon start-up, while the console was booting up.

But also some other thing like, if you're playing a PS5 on the tv, and you want to go somewhere else in the house, or maybe go to bed, the moment you turn on the Portal, it triggers a macro to turn off the tv screen mode and immediately send to PS-Remote Play all by itself, without having to do additional prompts. Don't know if that would require a game to exit and boot back in, so that it knows that its switch to a 1080p display.

Would also be nice if the console knows its switch over to a 1080p display, and it automatically does like additional layer of AA, or downsampling at the system-level before it sends out the 1080p video.

1 hour ago, MalaXmaS said:

They won't.

It would mean designing two menus, one for Xbox and the other for pisstation.

More resources and we all know Sony are quick to release hardware and quickly abandon it.

Look at psvr2.

TCHBFR 

Well, yea they'd have to build the functionality specifically for people who buy this device...  The games would have to have a normal UI for people without it anyway lol.

All I'm saying is that it would add to the appeal to be able to use it for special kind of functionality like that.  For all intents and purposes it's a controller with a screen.. and some slight processing power behind it.  They could make it more attractive than they're currently making it.

-PSNow streaming support (no PS5 required)

-Game specific funtionality (2nd screen)

-Remote Play (supported)

10 minutes ago, jehurey said:

You can't play big AAA games on a handheld in the corner, or in bed.

With all the bells and whistles turned on.

And that also applies to that Valve handheld.

While also maintaining the simplicity of turning on a console and getting into a game. Though not as fast as a Switch, since the PS5 takes a few more seconds to load up.

I hope they are able to program some pretty smooth macros to streamline the process, like I mentioned that Wii U Gamepad having a small menu that gave you some options to choose which you game you want the console to pre-load upon start-up, while the console was booting up.

But also some other thing like, if you're playing a PS5 on the tv, and you want to go somewhere else in the house, or maybe go to bed, the moment you turn on the Portal, it triggers a macro to turn off the tv screen mode and immediately send to PS-Remote Play all by itself, without having to do additional prompts. Don't know if that would require a game to exit and boot back in, so that it knows that its switch to a 1080p display.

Would also be nice if the console knows its switch over to a 1080p display, and it automatically does like additional layer of AA, or downsampling at the system-level before it sends out the 1080p video.

Yes you can.  I can stream games from my PC to my Steam Deck just like remote play.... so no... it doesn't apply to Valve's handheld.

I imagine if you're already playing a game, and decide to play on the Portal.. you select it from the menu, and it will switch over automatically and disable the PS5 HDMI out.  Perhaps if you start the PS5 up from the Portal, it will automatically detect that and display to the device instead of the TV, and if you decide you want to move to the TV.. you select "stop" and it switches back over automatically.

I think you can already assume it will do the downsampling automatically because DF have said multiple times that when they run a game with the PS5 set to 1080p, it downsamples.  So it will take the output resolution, downsample to 1080p, and send out the video.

Edited by Remij
2 hours ago, Remij said:

Yeah.. that's basically what I would have them do with a future console.  Include a little VMU like device with the controller but allow you to remove/insert it like a VMU-like device/touch screen and have it display game hud and even buttons for quick access and stuff like that.  I think having it as a separate thing and not built right into the controller is better because it would have it's own battery and wouldn't leech from the controller.

I always loved the idea of the VMU.  Such a cool idea...  Ahead of its time.

Remeber those little tomogachi things? The little turd pieces of plastic where you took care of a pet? Imagine if DC was around when those were out and Sega made a quality tomogachi on the go with the VMU. Such a missed opportunity lol.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yes you can.  I can stream games from my PC to my Steam Deck just like remote play.... so no... it doesn't apply to Valve's handheld.

I imagine if you're already playing a game, and decide to play on the Portal.. you select it from the menu, and it will switch over automatically and disable the PS5 HDMI out.  Perhaps if you start the PS5 up from the Portal, it will automatically detect that and display to the device instead of the TV, and if you decide you want to move to the TV.. you select "stop" and it switches back over automatically.

I think you can already assume it will do the downsampling automatically because DF have said multiple times that when they run a game with the PS5 set to 1080p, it downsamples.  So it will take the output resolution, downsample to 1080p, and send out the video.

But if its anything like PSVR2, the moment you press the power button on the accessory device, it will automatically kick into that mode.

Can you turn your PC on from the handheld? Can you trigger the remote play from the handheld?

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

But if its anything like PSVR2, the moment you press the power button on the accessory device, it will automatically kick into that mode.

Can you turn your PC on from the handheld? Can you trigger the remote play from the handheld?

The Steam Deck can't turn my PC on from full power off obviously, but from sleep it can.. and automatically launch the game.

Because I have this game installed on both my Deck and my PC and can choose to either run it from the Deck, or Stream from my PC.. just click the arrow beside the play button

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

19 minutes ago, Remij said:

I plat'd the game.  But also my daughter has been playing it as well.  It's a fun game.

It was a fun game. MAybe ill try the superior Pc version once it goes on a deep sale.

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

It was a fun game. MAybe ill try the superior Pc version once it goes on a deep sale.

There's so much good stuff dropping recently.  Armored Core 6 is awesome.  I want to play that Sea of Stars game.  Starfield dropping at the end of the week.. gahddamn :adhd: 

48 minutes ago, Remij said:

There's so much good stuff dropping recently.  Armored Core 6 is awesome.  I want to play that Sea of Stars game.  Starfield dropping at the end of the week.. gahddamn :adhd: 

AC makes me nervous because of its difficulty. It looks cool but idk about it. SOS demo was great. Ill deffo play it but not for a bit. Ima finish up BG then move on the Starfield when my PC ships. Ill prob play it a bit on xbox to then but i dont want to distract myself from BG3.

Then i want to try Forza, and Lies of P. The persona tactics. Mortal Kombat.  Ugh this year has so many games. I just cannot play all of them.

• Upvote 1