Would you prefer the smartphone approach to consoles?

Meaning they would be released yearly… and old hardware is phased out, or software can be exclusive for the “latest” hardware.  Think about it, most of tech has already went this way. Smartphones and watches, Computers, tvs, cars, etc. 

Similar to phones, you will simply trade in your existing console for a decent return that you can then put toward the new one. 

i like this idea personally, but there are some downsides. While tech is always evolving, this would eliminate “gens” but devs would still be held back by the weakest supported hardware. 

I know some will see $$ as an issue, but these are basically PCs at this point and an good PC is much more expensive and requires upgrades as well. Devs could target whatever groups of consoles they wanted. 

Edited by Tears of the Cows
3 minutes ago, Cooke said:

No. That's stupid and I wish phones would stop. It's an incredible waste and unnecessary. 

Not really, it’s how innovation and progression happens. Just because they aren’t releasing a console yearly doesn’t mean they aren’t actively building the next one at almost all times. I don’t even think this would result in more units being made. 

Just now, Tears of the Cows said:

Not really, it’s how innovation and progression happens. Just because they aren’t releasing a console yearly doesn’t mean they aren’t actively building the next one at almost all times. I don’t even think this would result in more units being made. 

Imagine if they put all that effort and money into releasing a phone every 3 or 4 years instead of 1 year. It wouldn't feel like you're buying virtually the same thing every year. You would notice more of a difference. There would be a substantial jump.  

I have a pixel 7 pro. I had a pixel 6 pro prior to this. They look the same, they perform the same, they are the same except for a slightly better camera and slightly better display. Only reason I "upgraded" was my screen was smashed and it's so expensive to fix these stupid unrepairable phones now.  No removable battery, no easy screen fixes. I blame apple for how dumb this shit has become. 

14 minutes ago, Cooke said:

Imagine if they put all that effort and money into releasing a phone every 3 or 4 years instead of 1 year. It wouldn't feel like you're buying virtually the same thing every year. You would notice more of a difference. There would be a substantial jump.  

I have a pixel 7 pro. I had a pixel 6 pro prior to this. They look the same, they perform the same, they are the same except for a slightly better camera and slightly better display. Only reason I "upgraded" was my screen was smashed and it's so expensive to fix these stupid unrepairable phones now.  No removable battery, no easy screen fixes. I blame apple for how dumb this shit has become. 

It would be the exact same thing as if they released a phone every three years. lol. Instead of the iPhone 13, 14 you’d go from the iPhone 12>15. That would suck. The 13 and 14 pushed things further than the 12, why would I want to use the 12 for 3 years?

same reason I’d rather not use a ps5/series x/switch when they’re all weak at this point. 

7 minutes ago, Tears of the Cows said:

Less than a fucking car. :D 

R&D is research and development, it's ongoing because they're always engineering and or planning the road map for future hardware. 

The years leading up to a new console, the costs ranges from several hundreds of millions of dollars to sometimes a few billion. 

"Nikkei is reporting Sony will spend 300 billion yen (about $2.17 billion) in R&D for its video game segment," 

There's a reason why they're only 3 companies worldwide making dedicated home console hardware. 

How retarded are you? :kaz:

Edited by Goukosan
4 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

R&D is research and development, it's ongoing because they're always engineering and or planning the road map for future hardware. 

The years leading up to a new console, the costs ranges from several hundreds of millions of dollars to sometimes a few billion. 

"Nikkei is reporting Sony will spend 300 billion yen (about $2.17 billion) in R&D for its video game segment," 

There's a reason why they're only 3 companies worldwide making dedicated home console hardware. 

How retarded are you? :kaz:

Ford spends 4x that a year on R&D you idiot :D 

4 minutes ago, Tears of the Cows said:

Ford spends 4x a year on R&D you idiot :D 

Wait you're comparing the market and use of a car to a console? 

And because cars release yearly consoles can follow that same model? :kaz:

Edited by Goukosan
3 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Wait you're comparing the market and use of a car to a console? 

And because cars release yearly consoles can follow that same model? :kaz:

Im saying they COULD, and you said they can’t because of R&D. R&D costs don’t stop other companies from releasing hardware yearly, do they?

and I chose ford because ford & Sony are worth similar.