Dragon's Dogma 2 thread

19 minutes ago, Remij said:

I care even less about what people who don't play games think about it :pavarotti:

yeah why discuss dragons dogma criticisms in a thread dedicated to dragons dogma discussion, silly me :pavarotti:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and?

finally grabbed this today. only a few hours in but so far really liking it. it's definitely rough around the edges but it's also doing a lot of interesting things and has a satisfying gameplay loop,

It's like Elden Ring all over again, Sorcerer is OP as FUCK! Use augral flare and then a fast attack either basic staff attack spam or levin spam, shit gets nuked to fucking hell. Also the ultimates l

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Quad Damage said:

yeah why discuss dragons dogma criticisms in a thread dedicated to dragons dogma discussion, silly me :pavarotti:

Yea, when you could be making threads discussing games that you're playing and enjoying instead? :pavarotti:

Don't see me in threads about Rise of the Ronin making criticisms about it, or any other games I'm not playing :drake: 

Edited by Remij
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Grinding through mobs of the same few enemies over and over again while completing boring quests in its nearly non existent story doesn’t sound like it would be entertaining for very long.

Fighting, exploring, and leveling up different vocations is extremely entertaining... especially with the games various systems in play.  For one, the story doesn't need to be some grand thing... because the story of the game is what you experience and encounter making your way through its world.

Let me give you an example.  You have a game like Horizon: Forbidden West... you travel from place to place to get to the next story beat.  The most interesting things that happen to you don't happen as you're travelling, but when you finally reach your destination.  Meanwhile in a game like Dragon's Dogma 2... the interesting part of the story is what you experienced on your way to the next destination.. Like how an enemy will ambush you and do something you've never seen before through the games various mechanics working in tandem.  Like say you're fighting an Ogre climbing up it, attacking it.. and suddenly a Griffin swoops down and attacks.. smashing into you and the Ogre... so your companions start fighting both enemies now and your mage lights the Griffin's wings on fire and then you jump on it's back and as you do it takes off with you clutching to it... and it flies far away and suddenly you're in a place you've never been... and so you keep exploring and finding new things to discover.

The story isn't... ok I'm here... what's next?  It's holy shit, I got to tell you what happened on my way here. :smoke:

Edited by Remij
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Remij said:

Fighting, exploring, and leveling up different vocations is extremely entertaining... especially with the games various systems in play.  For one, the story doesn't need to be some grand thing... because the story of the game is what you experience and encounter making your way through its world.

Let me give you an example.  You have a game like Horizon: Forbidden West... you travel from place to place to get to the next story beat.  The most interesting things that happen to you don't happen as you're travelling, but when you finally reach your destination.  Meanwhile in a game like Dragon's Dogma 2... the interesting part of the story is what you experienced on your way to the next destination.. Like how an enemy will ambush you and do something you've never seen before through the games various mechanics working in tandem.  Like say you're fighting an Ogre climbing up it, attacking it.. and suddenly a Griffin swoops down and attacks.. smashing into you and the Ogre... so your companions start fighting both enemies now and your mage lights the Griffin's wings on fire and then you jump on it's back and as you do it takes off with you clutching to it... and it flies far away and suddenly you're in a place you've never been... and so you keep exploring and finding new things to discover.

The story isn't... ok I'm here... what's next?  It's holy shit, I got to tell you what happened on my way here. :smoke:

I understand what you mean but once you've seen those dynamic moments the first few times, and then the game just repeats them constantly, would it actually still be entertaining? If I get picked up by a griffin and dropped off in a random part of the map, im sure that would be cool the first few times but I feel like that would quickly lose its appeal and just become annoying after the 10th time especially since I have to orient myself to get back to where I was, all while aggroing mobs of goblins or other groups of recycled enemies.

I really have no experience with this series, but on paper it sounds like the gameplay loop would be engaging early on but then become less interesting the further you get. I guess ill just need to try it at some point and see for myself.

Let's be honest , you guys don't want to like this game because 

1. It outscored ronin and FF

2. Me and remij like it 

And why does resetera not like it ? 

Well a couple articles about microtransactions and they decided to mob. Other games with worse microtransacrions ? No problem. Selective mobbing.

This game is my goty so far no doubt. It feels like an adventure when you go out and like remij said it's no textbook ubisoft/Sony open world game like Ronin that you guys pretend to still enjoy. ( but don't play )

People talking about criticisms and why they won't like it Twinblade you bitched about FF for 80 hours so now you don't want to play this because it's not perfect? Rofl

But to address your criticisms yes the fodder enemies could have more variety but saying it's the same 3 enemies over and over is a lie. You have your grunts , bigger grunts , skeletons,  wraiths , wolves, vultures,  humans . Then you have your bigger enemies , minotaurs , cyclops , rock monsters,  griffons , serpent lions. There are titans , dragons, all kinds of shit.

There aren't a lot of biomes. Yes there should be more .

The quests and story are fine. No worse than most other rpgs of this type but as remij said it's not what happens in the story but what happens on the way there. Walking around the world and just running into random things, exploration is comparable to elden ring / skyrim imo.

Combat is really good and there are so many combinations of how you can play this game it's ridiculous 

Performance isn't bad for me open world always over 60 usually well over 60fps . Some cities feel a little janky. Maybe on slowsoles at sub 30 fps the game feels bad sure. Honestly the games biggest problem is the budget. This game is wild tho. The constant shit that happens is ROFL

Also the comparison to monster hunter makes zero sense . DumboP

Edited by JonDnD
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

God damn those pics looked OK on my phone screen but sheeeesh on a monitor

I'll post some actual pics later. 

Anyway I think I'm on the last couple main quests so I'm probably gonna go back and finish exploring and hit the side quests before I start the wrap up on this.

Edited by JonDnD
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, JonDnD said:

2. Me and remij like it 

Well a couple articles about microtransactions and they decided to mob. Other games with worse microtransacrions ? No problem. Selective mobbing.

This game is my goty so far no doubt. It feels like an adventure when you go out and like remij said it's no textbook ubisoft/Sony open world game like Ronin that you guys pretend to still enjoy. ( but don't play )

People talking about criticisms and why they won't like it Twinblade you bitched about FF for 80 hours so now you don't want to play this because it's not perfect? Rofl

But to address your criticisms yes the fodder enemies could have more variety but saying it's the same 3 enemies over and over is a lie. You have your grunts , bigger grunts , skeletons,  wraiths , wolves, vultures,  humans . Then you have your bigger enemies , minotaurs , cyclops , rock monsters,  griffons , serpent lions. There are titans , dragons, all kinds of shit.

There aren't a lot of biomes. Yes there should be more .

The quests and story are fine. No worse than most other rpgs of this type but as remij said it's not what happens in the story but what happens on the way there. Walking around the world and just running into random things, exploration is comparable to elden ring / skyrim imo.

Combat is really good and there are so many combinations of how you can play this game it's ridiculous 

Performance isn't bad for me open world always over 60 usually well over 60fps . Some cities feel a little janky. Maybe on slowsoles at sub 30 fps the game feels bad sure. Honestly the games biggest problem is the budget. This game is wild tho. The constant shit that happens is ROFL

Fair enough but I don't think its fair to see people hate the game because you and remij like it. Or because it outscored other games they liked. I could also say that the only reason people hate Rise of The Ronin is because its PS5 exclusive.

Ill try the game at some point, but I do think the Metacritic scores are very interesting. It does seem like the average person (not reviewer) is more likely to enjoy something like RoTR than DD2

RoTR user score: 8.5

DD2 user score: 6.3

11 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Fair enough but I don't think its fair to see people hate the game because you and remij like it. Or because it outscored other games they liked. I could also say that the only reason people hate Rise of The Ronin is because its PS5 exclusive.

Ill try the game at some point, but I do think the Metacritic scores are very interesting. It does seem like the average person (not reviewer) is more likely to enjoy something like RoTR than DD2

RoTR user score: 8.5

DD2 user score: 6.3

Like Jon said, the discourse of the game is skewed because of the micro transaction backlash.. and that's absolutely affected meta user scores.

I'm not saying it's a perfect game.. there's plenty of issues with it.  It's not going to be for everybody.  I mean I think it would have been nice to have multiple save slots and be able to create multiple Arisen/Pawn combinations... It's pretty pathetic the game didn't have the ability to start a "new game" at first.  That plays into the issue that some people are losing more progress than they expect to when they load a game save from the last inn.  For some people they might not like the fact that it takes a long time to travel distances and that you have to commit to things.

It's about having the proper expectations really.  But having issues doesn't mean it's a bad game.  It's unapologetic in its design and very unique in its own style.  Which is quite an incredible achievement for a game to have in this day in age, IMO.

• Upvote 1

User reviews are worthless. Of course a bunch of Sony fanboys love Sony games and of course a bunch of people jump on the bandwagon about microtransactions cause it is trending. Yet they don't care if their favorite game has them.

Dd2 doesn't have the budget that a lot of games have and it is janky. I couldn't imagine playing this at 25fps on console and it is missing features it should have had.

But I couldn't care less about what others think. I had a blast with this game. I finished it tonight. I didn't realize i was on the last mission. It was great and i jumped right back in to ng+ and it's probably the first game in a looooong time that I'm excited to go right back into it because my next playtrhough is gonna feel completely different from my first.

But let's flip the coin. If DD2 was the ps5 exclusive and Ronin was the multiplat....the conversation about these games would be very different and you know it. Tb who here besides you is gonna talk about playing RotT. That's simple. Nobody. And why is RotT getting worse critic reviews ? It's obvious. Let's stop lying about it.

• Upvote 1

About 10h in now and my feelings range greatly from session to session tbh. I've had awesome moments and really cool things happen then have had very frustrating elements creep in with the game design and game engines. I'll play more before proper thoughts but it truly is a Dragon's Dogma sequel in every way.. a great but flawed game with all the PS3 jank the original had but also all the charm. There's something really good here but I am surprised that this doesn't seem to have the level of Capcom polish (I'm not talking performance in any way) that modern Capcom games have. 

I'm at level 39 now and switched from fighter to mystic spearhand currently voca level 6. I like this one a lot but wish it had a shield.

I also have a level 44 sorceress as a pawn and holy shit I am wrecking everything lol

On 2024-04-07 at 2:15 PM, JonDnD said:

Capcom action RPG where you can fight huge monsters by climbing on them VS Capcom action RPG where you can fight huge monsters by climbing on them.

The comparison makes zero sense. :shig:

21 minutes ago, David P said:

Capcom action RPG where you can fight huge monsters by climbing on them VS Capcom action RPG where you can fight huge monsters by climbing on them.

The comparison makes zero sense. :shig:

If i was going to compare DD to any game, MH would be last on the list.

On 2024-04-07 at 11:15 AM, JonDnD said:

2. Me and remij like it 

as long as we're being honest, you and remij want to like this because

1. a fake rivalry between dd2 and ff7/ronin

2. its multiplat and what you have access to

dragon's dogma 2, final fantasy 7 rebirth, and rise of the ronin are all on playstation. we dont have to check what games are on what system or who likes what game to determine what our opinion of games are because we have access to all of them. iit must suck to have to do it the other way.

who mentioned anything about microtransactions? certainly not me in my post in this thread, and not in the resetera review thread i linked to. but youre right about selective mobbing. im sure if it was sony game we wouldve gotten a dedicated thread about the mtx from you/remij/ghostz.

Edited by Quad Damage
7 minutes ago, Quad Damage said:

The fuck out of here with that shit... Jon and I are both playing the fuck out of this game.  We like it because we like it.  :mj2:

Don't be mad that I'm calling out the fact that a low stature franchise like Dragon's Dogma 2... is selling more copies than Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth.. and that Capcom is growing DD, while SquareEnix is actively inhibiting Final Fantasy's growth by making it exclusive to Playstation.

I already told you fucks I understand why Sony does it for this game.. but that doesn't change the fact.

The series has steadily been going downhill... and other Japanese companies are thriving and growing whereas SquareEnix is stagnant. :shrug: 

32 minutes ago, Quad Damage said:

1. a fake rivalry between dd2 and ff7/ronin

2. its multiplat and what you have access to

dragon's dogma 2, final fantasy 7 rebirth, and rise of the ronin are all on playstation. we dont have to check what games are on what system or who likes what game to determine what our opinion of games are because we have access to all of them. iit must suck to have to do it the other way.

who mentioned anything about microtransactions? certainly not me in my post in this thread, and not in the resetera review thread i linked to. but youre right about selective mobbing. im sure if it was sony game we wouldve gotten a dedicated thread about the mtx from you/remij/ghostz.

Do you realize you made over 30 starfield threads :wonder:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Remij said:

The fuck out of here with that shit... Jon and I are both playing the fuck out of this game.  We like it because we like it.  :mj2:

Don't be mad that I'm calling out the fact that a low stature franchise like Dragon's Dogma 2... is selling more copies than Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth.. and that Capcom is growing DD, while SquareEnix is actively inhibiting Final Fantasy's growth by making it exclusive to Playstation.

I already told you fucks I understand why Sony does it for this game.. but that doesn't change the fact.

The series has steadily been going downhill... and other Japanese companies are thriving and growing whereas SquareEnix is stagnant. :shrug: 

the fuck out of here with my shit? the fuck out of here with your (and jon's) shit about some fake rivalry between games that are ALL on playstation. i also thought dragon's dogma 1 was generic shit.

dont be mad that i'm calling out the criticisms of dragon's dogma 2 and the less than flattering post-honeymoon period this game is experiencing among the community. for a 12 years later sequel, it seems like its barely advanced a day. it even somehow feels shockingly rushed.

ff7 rebirth is the hgihest rated game of the year so far and the highest rated final fantasy in nearly 2 decades, so im happy on that front. :yeshrug:

Edited by Quad Damage