leak-switch-2-hardware-shipments-show-sy

• Handheld: Right above PS4* before DLSS
  • Docked: Between PS4 Pro* & Xbox Series S* before DLSS with more modern hardware than the former
  • RAM: Slower than PS5 & XSX|S in the speed department, but more capacity than XSS. Should have 10.5-11 GB of RAM available to games going by the Switch 1's RAM allotment for its OS.
  • Storage: UFS 3.1's max speeds should be a hair under XSX|S (2.1 GB/s vs. 2.4 GB/s), still plenty fast even if not maxed out.
    • Lines up with what Digital Foundry & NateDrake heard about decompression techniques & fast load times of the BotW tech demo (respectively for each source).
* = Not only is the Switch 2 ARM-based rather than x86 like the systems compared, it's also Nvidia vs. AMD. There are plenty of factors at play to where it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Plus the native Tensor cores of the Switch 2 will allow for DLSS, letting the system punch above its weight & decrease the size of the gap between it & the XSS. Nintendo could throttle down the SoC to the floor, but I'm not sure it'll be a doomsday scenario since this is a custom chip to begin with.

And a summary from Serif :
1536 CUDA Cores, 48 tensor cores, 12 RT cores
Ampere architecture with features backported from Ada
8x ARM A78C
File decompression engine
12 GB LPDDR5X RAM 7500 MT/s
256 UFS 3.1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

with these specs (if true), expect a $499 price.

I'd be shocked, but we'll see.

I think Nintendo can be reasonably confident enough in the success of the console that they can buy the parts in quantities that allow them to hit the pricepoint they want. I could see a premium model existing at 499, but I think we end up with a 399 variant one way or another.

Regardless, can't wait myself, I'll be there day 1.

Edited by Casual
11 minutes ago, Casual said:

I'd be shocked, but we'll see.

I think Nintendo can be reasonably confident enough in the success of the console that they can buy the parts in quantities that allow them to hit the pricepoint they want. I could see a premium model existing at 499, but I think we end up with a 399 variant one way or another.

Regardless, can't wait myself, I'll be there day 1.

the switch oled is $349.99. i wouldn't get my hopes up on a $399 price, unless those specs are BS.

2 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

the switch oled is $349.99. i wouldn't get my hopes up on a $399 price, unless those specs are BS.

i think this will coincide with a drop in that price though, my understanding was that nintendo is making a decent amount of money off oled sales at this point - they can probably afford to cut it quite a bit, but the demand is high enough to not bother. hopefully we find out soon!

Just now, Casual said:

i think this will coincide with a drop in that price though, my understanding was that nintendo is making a decent amount of money off oled sales at this point - they can probably afford to cut it quite a bit, but the demand is high enough to not bother. hopefully we find out soon!

i'm definitely not banking on these specs being at a solid price, unless there's shit storage and a lcd screen.

Just now, -GD-X said:

i'm definitely not banking on these specs being at a solid price, unless there's shit storage and a lcd screen.

i thought the leak was 256gb storage. and lcd has been the rumour.

i could see an oled model also being available at 499

Just now, Casual said:

hmmm.. i still have a hard time buying this. we will see. i would love ninty to deliver something special.

15 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

449 and 529 for us losers in Canada. 

Posted (edited)

This will be a weird one. Is it really just going to be a Switch with better specs? Nintendo has wanted to do something “new” with every console for a long time now (ds, wii, wiiu, 3ds, switch). I always kind of looked forward to the new gimmick. 

Maybe include game streaming so we can get WiiU style engagement. Or asymmetric gameplay where some players use the screen while others play on the TV. 

The name will be interesting. Nintendo has never done a “2” console. Super Nintendo Switch seems like the front runner. 

Edited by Nightshade79
4 minutes ago, Nightshade79 said:

This will be a weird one. Is it really just going to be a Switch with better specs? Nintendo has wanted to do something “new” with every console for a long time now (ds, wii, wiiu, 3ds, switch). I always kind of looked forward to the new gimmick. 

Maybe include game streaming so we can get WiiU style engagement. Or asymmetric gameplay where some players use the screen while others play on the TV. 

The name will be interesting. Nintendo has never done a “2” console. Super Nintendo Switch seems like the front runner. 

I just can't see them switching up in any meaningful way.

Switch is wildly successful, especially in Japan where other competitors are struggling to maintain a userbase. Now isn't the time to change up, especially with where the industry is.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Casual said:

256gig storage :tom:

It will be 60 gigs this time 

5 hours ago, Nightshade79 said:

I doubt it will be called Switch 2. It will be Super Switch or whatever. I'm sure it will have some sort of unique gimmick but won't be a massive changeup like wii and WiiU.