Square Enix will "aggressively pursue a multiplatform strategy that includes Nintendo platforms, PlayStation, Xbox, and PCs"

Octopath Traveler 1&2 and the Pixel remasters sold millions on Switch wich tells you there's a huge market on switch because those two games are pretty niche and really only targeted it the nostalgia Factor. SquareEnix's strategy to not do mainline games on Switch is one of the biggest bonehead moves SquareEnix has done.

Posted (edited)

And there it is..  I was saying before how stupid they were being by limiting their potential for growth by limiting their games to PS day 1 and PC later... while not taking advantage of the massive market that the Nintendo Switch has in Japan and everywhere else.

I realize SOME of that has to do with the fact that Switch can't necessarily run some of these games.. and that Switch 2 should remedy that issue for the most part... but they really lost sight of what made their games great in the first place.  You can make high production value games on Nintendo Switch.. and they can be very epic in scale..  They should always have been capitalizing on that market.  Scale FF games back a bit, focus on what makes them great, and really push and market them on Nintendo.  That will really go far in Japan for them.  PC is on the rise too in Japan, and having their games day 1 is something that should have always been done to foster growth.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again, SquareEnix's main player-base is already a known quantity on Playstation.  It's not going to grow much bigger than it already is there.  Yes, it's an important market, but by not releasing games day 1, or at best sporadically deciding which games to release and which not to... you will simply never grow on other platforms.  Every other major Japanese publisher has adopted a fully multiplatform development pipeline and have grown their IPs in a huge way.  Even if sales of Xbox versions are low, they've still got to continue to push them through and give that player-base a chance to grow.  15% of a game's sales might be Xbox.. but what's important isn't the percentage.. it's whether or not your audience grows game after game.

This bodes well for Dragon Quest 12 being fully multiplatform.. which is good, because that game not releasing on Switch 2 would be a completely boneheaded mistake.

Edited by Remij
36 minutes ago, Playstation Tablet said:

The issue isn't Square Enix going multiplat it's that Sony doesn't have any first party 

Ftfy

• dead 1
1 hour ago, Remij said:

And there it is..  I was saying before how stupid they were being by limiting their potential for growth by limiting their games to PS day 1 and PC later... while not taking advantage of the massive market that the Nintendo Switch has in Japan and everywhere else.

I realize SOME of that has to do with the fact that Switch can't necessarily run some of these games.. and that Switch 2 should remedy that issue for the most part... but they really lost sight of what made their games great in the first place.  You can make high production value games on Nintendo Switch.. and they can be very epic in scale..  They should always have been capitalizing on that market.  Scale FF games back a bit, focus on what makes them great, and really push and market them on Nintendo.  That will really go far in Japan for them.  PC is on the rise too in Japan, and having their games day 1 is something that should have always been done to foster growth.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again, SquareEnix's main player-base is already a known quantity on Playstation.  It's not going to grow much bigger than it already is there.  Yes, it's an important market, but by not releasing games day 1, or at best sporadically deciding which games to release and which not to... you will simply never grow on other platforms.  Every other major Japanese publisher has adopted a fully multiplatform development pipeline and have grown their IPs in a huge way.  Even if sales of Xbox versions are low, they've still got to continue to push them through and give that player-base a chance to grow.  15% of a game's sales might be Xbox.. but what's important isn't the percentage.. it's whether or not your audience grows game after game.

This bodes well for Dragon Quest 12 being fully multiplatform.. which is good, because that game not releasing on Switch 2 would be a completely boneheaded mistake.

Didn't read any of that wall of text but you called it. 

For what it's worth the report of the strategy talks about the next 3 years.... years that no doubt won't have a mainline FF game or the next FFVII.

This is very much a Switch 2 move. Would be insane to not have DQ and such release on it. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Remij said:

SE could have made some Dragon Quest and FF games for Switch. Capcom did it for Monster Hunter and it sold millions. 

Edited by Cooke
  • Upvote 1