Official Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree Thread - 10/10 IGN, 10/10 GS, 95 Meta - Game of the Year. Best DLC oif All Time.

i beat the expansion. i ended up enjoying the final boss a lot more than i expected, despite who/what it is getting spoiled for me. i think some will be disappointed by it (seems to be common with final bosses in souls games lol), but i will agree that it puts up a good fight. vague spoiler:

Spoiler

he just didn't feel as grand as he did in the main game. also, i'm so confused with the story. i think we're hitting GoT territory, you'll see what i mean.

as for the rest of the expansion, it was everything i wanted and more. the world was packed with weapons, items, talisman, spells, etc to find. each area felt well- thought out too. it felt like it had the weight of ER, but was condensed into meatier, more vertical slices of gaming bliss. some of the level and artistic design murder the base game. i also dug a lot of the new enemies. in terms of questlines, i enjoyed the 3 i did, especially the dragon one. i wish i could have done the rest (maybe they would have helped explain the ending better), but oh well. i done gone goofed with that tree i set on fire (i was tired and wasn't thinking). i'm still going to explore the expansion and check to see if i missed any gangsta bosses. i beat quite a few, so no clue how many are left. the expansion took me 25 hours btw.

side note: the blessing/ash leveling was a brilliant way to level the playing field (with lower/higher spec players), while encouraging exploration.

my score: 9.5/10

in short: an exceptional expansion that felt more like a full, epic campaign. it could have been perfect, but it limps a bit near the finish line. still, it's the touchdown fans were hoping for.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i think my gf knew i wanted to play this (i may have low key dropped that i wanted to play this tonight lol) and asked if we can do something tomorrow night instead.  the universe is on my side. just

81% positive for English reviews, 31% positive for simplified Chinese. China needs to git gud.

i beat the expansion. i ended up enjoying the final boss a lot more than i expected, despite who/what it is getting spoiled for me. i think some will be disappointed by it (seems to be common with fin

8 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Hey @-GD-X

Hide contents

How much is there after Messmer/Bayle? I feel like there's still so much I haven't discovered yet but you went from Messmer to completing the game in like a day.

Spoiler

Two main bosses left (more like one since the one before the finale is a fucking cakewalk). 

• Thanks 1

Been taking it a little slow and also just been kind of busy. Probably about halfway through, at 13 scadutree upgrades.

Just keeps getting better though, might be FROMs best work in terms of world design. The way you get to certain areas is honestly brilliant. Finding the

Spoiler

coffin in shadow keep

and realizing where it brought me was great. Also love how they've used caves and

Spoiler

catacombs

to get to unexpected areas.

Overall I think the world design is much better than the base game. It would have been hard to achieve at that scale I'm sure, but this is just a much tighter and more dense experience.

• aitch 1
30 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

For you filthy casuals who fear the expansion is too hard…. :-*

https://www.videogamer.com/news/elden-ring-sote-1-12-2-patch-notes/

scadutree buffs 

lol im kinda cheesed about this tbh. but im at 13 and it sounds like it probably wont be a noticeable difference at that point.

only guy ive found particularly difficult at this point is messmer. i feel like i did that too early though.

Edited by Casual
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Casual said:

lol im kinda cheesed about this tbh. but im at 13 and it sounds like it probably wont be a noticeable difference at that point.

only guy ive found particularly difficult at this point is messmer. i feel like i did that too early though.

He was easily the hardest boss for me. I went in kind of early too, though.

3 minutes ago, Substatic said:

For those having too much trouble you can always use the cheese OP builds. There is some fucked up interaction with Impenetrable Thorns and Arcane stacking. Also Rolling Spark Ash of War with Perfume bottles trucks mother fuckers. 

i discovered these late in the game, but HOLY FUCK!  they are the new pre-nerfed hoarfrost stomp. faith became an important stat for me (also helps beef up the legendary blasphemous blade).

58 minutes ago, Playstation Tablet said:

i was surprised it looked and ran so well on the deck, with most settings on high. i had a few hiccups, but nothing that ruined the experience.  i can actually say i beat ER  and its expansion on the SD oled.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, -GD-X said:

i was surprised it looked and ran so well on the deck, with most settings on high. i had a few hiccups, but nothing that ruined the experience.  i can actually say i beat ER  and its expansion on the SD oled.

It runs incredibly on my PC.  I don't experience any stuttering at all.  Mayyybe a one off frame drop every once in a blue moon, buy absolutely nothing that would detract from the game.  It's literally locked 60 all the time.  But I haven't seen everything yet lol.

• aitch 1

DF says it sucks on every PC. 

Not surprised some still have these magic PCs tho:trump2:

The PC version is also still a technical mess, and Alex in this video actually goes pretty harsh and says it's unacceptable that Fromsoft has gotten so much money and acclaim from these games, but he still feels they have not meaningfully improved their technical abilities since Bloodborne released on PS4 in 2015 also with an uneven fps and also with bad frame-pacing, basically saying "where is this money all going, because it doesn't seem to be going back into improving the quality of the tools you use."

The PC version still features CPU hitching problems, even on a 7800X3D, the RT mode is still bad with no DLSS/FSR options, and with a higher CPU load that causes near constant CPU-driven stutter. It still has no ability to support ultrawide or >60 fps properly without mods, and it even still suffers from massive stutters/drops to 0 fps which he experienced while testing the game on a Ryzen 5 3600 system for this video, the exact same issue he called out in his Elden Ring launch day video 2 years ago.

Edited by JonDnD
16 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

DF says it sucks on every PC. 

Not surprised some still have these magic PCs tho:trump2:

The PC version is also still a technical mess, and Alex in this video actually goes pretty harsh and says it's unacceptable that Fromsoft has gotten so much money and acclaim from these games, but he still feels they have not meaningfully improved their technical abilities since Bloodborne released on PS4 in 2015 also with an uneven fps and also with bad frame-pacing, basically saying "where is this money all going, because it doesn't seem to be going back into improving the quality of the tools you use."

The PC version still features CPU hitching problems, even on a 7800X3D, the RT mode is still bad with no DLSS/FSR options, and with a higher CPU load that causes near constant CPU-driven stutter. It still has no ability to support ultrawide or >60 fps properly without mods, and it even still suffers from massive stutters/drops to 0 fps which he experienced while testing the game on a Ryzen 5 3600 system for this video, the exact same issue he called out in his Elden Ring launch day video 2 years ago.

I just finished watching that video, and lmao it absolutely does not do any of that shit on my PC :D :D