Digital Foundry - Silent Hill 2 PC analysis - #Stutterstruggle #UE5wasamistake

Basically the game has some pretty terrible stutter.  There's no shader compilation stuttering thankfully, but game's stutters exist both on PS5 and PC although they manifest differently.  The game has both traversal stuttering and the appearance of animation stutter caused by delta time settings (basically the tick rate of the game).  Luckily on PC you can use a command line setting to make the game ignore it, and limit the FPS using an external limiter, so you can essentially fix it.  I was playing the game earlier today with the fix in place and it's a night and day difference.

Still... Bloober have to fix this shit.

Edited by Remij
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

0 fps on Xflop  

Unreal Engine hasn't been focused on PC since UE3 and Gears of War launched      

Hopefully a competent game engine builder will release their engine. It’s quite obvious PosC focused game engine like UE are not up to par for anything. It’s time for Sony to bring Decima to decimate PosC engine builders like Epic Games to the market. Horrible platform and horrible engine. PosC will suck forever unfortunately.

15 hours ago, lynux3 said:

Hopefully a competent game engine builder will release their engine. It’s quite obvious PosC focused game engine like UE are not up to par for anything. It’s time for Sony to bring Decima to decimate PosC engine builders like Epic Games to the market. Horrible platform and horrible engine. PosC will suck forever unfortunately.

vBE5IM7.jpeg

• Haha 2
15 hours ago, lynux3 said:

Unreal Engine hasn't been focused on PC since UE3 and Gears of War launched :D 

• dead 1
35 minutes ago, Remij said:

Unreal Engine hasn't been focused on PC since UE3 and Gears of War launched :D 

Sony is trolling the PC gamers by their investments since the PS3 demo. Kinda smart. :obama:

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

Outside of the pool area at the apartment i've had no performance issues on PS5 so far, though im only 4 hours in.

You bought your ps5 from the same shop remij bought his pc parts?

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, -GD-X said:

I remember hating UE4. Now, I love it. I’m sure the same will happen with UE5…in a few years, or during the next console gen lol. 

I mean UE4 still sucks. 

It severely constraints pos5, although that has to be in part with shitty devs. 

7 hours ago, Chicano3000X said:

It's crazy how much goes into observing these hickups. Tiny frame drops that I'd take as the byproduct of being a videogame. 

It depends though. 

Hickups on a rpg or horror game are acceptable. 

Hickups on a racing game or competitive fps, that can downright break the game. 

I give this one to the hermsluts. 

47 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

I mean UE4 still sucks. 

It severely constraints pos5, although that has to be in part with shitty devs. 

No it doesn’t LOL. Lies of P uses UE4 to perfection (the game even scales well on Steam Deck). You are confusing it with UE5 (what Lords of the Fallen used). 

UE4 started out rough and got much better over time.  UE5 will too.  Right now, games are releasing still on UE5.1 or 5.2.r

UE5.4 has since made vast improvements to multi-threading and parallelization.  5.5 is bringing nanite to everything, including skinned meshes.. among so many other improvements.  It will take a bit of time until games releasing on these versions of the engine to come out.

Really, they just have to solve the traversal stuttering shit by changing up the way they stream in assets.  With more and more companies using this engine now to make open world games, such as CDprojectRED, contributing to the engine now, it should get better.

34 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

No it doesn’t LOL. Lies of P uses UE4 to perfection (the game even scales well on Steam Deck). You are confusing it with UE5 (what Lords of the Fallen used). 

I mean, I read somewhere that EA used UE4 for their latest WRC game and it is full of frame dips and slowdown. 

Maybe it was a rush job from Codemasters but the game runs like shit on base pos5. 

It is almost unplayable on certain stages. 

I tried that trial for the wrc game . It flat out froze at points. Ue4 sucked for a long time there was no excuse for wrc tho

Ue5 won't be sorted out this gen. Just have to accept disgustingly low res and fr on console and terrible stutters on all platforms

The worst part is so many people accept it , or lie about it like Twinblade 

Ue5 is a MISTAKE