The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread (Post Screens)

Got back into Castlevania Portrait of Ruin. Got the Vampire Killer, took care of Brauner.

Now I'm up against Death and Dracula. They're not all that tough because their pattern is pretty easy to learn, but shit they take a lot of damage before cracking.

Overall the game was alright, it's pretty weak in comparison to other Metroidvanias but it has its moments. Order of Ecclesia is still my favourite DS CV.

• Replies 24.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -GD-X

• Twinblade

• soup

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't be playing anything for months or close to a year probably, stuck in bumfuck nowhere Montenegro in the middle of endless mountains, imagine Rocky IV's training location without the snow (yet)

There's this one scene in Days Gone that is a perfect example of what the game is and everything wrong with it.   

There are cheaper ways to torture yourself. Im pretty sure razor blades go for $1-$2.

Posted Images

Mindwash, would you say Black Flag is accessible to newcomers who haven't followed most of the lore so far?

Got a friend who really digs the pirate aspect, but doesn't want to plow through 5 other games just to understand what's going on.

seems like there are nods to past games but nothing too important mainly the ties involve the animlus (sp?) Simulation, which all the ac games are based on. Its a different protagonist in a different time period so nothing needed to enjoy.

Look up the premise of the first ac. It takes place in a simulation trying to solve historical mysteries. This one expands on it and takes place after the first 3 main games

You guys care what I'm doing, right? *COUGH* Well I'm playing Final Fantasy Eight and am on the end of disc three when you're given the choice to either continue to finish the disc and go onto disc 4 or you can travel the world doing sidequests. *COUGH* I'm currently stuck doing these sidequests, because they're hard, and I'm trying to 100% complete the game. *COUGH*

Edited by jimbojones

watching you post about these games makes me wish we would get another IGA CV :(

He needs to come back for a Julius Belmont CV game, but to be honest I'd rather see a new Classicvania.

watching you post about these games makes me wish we would get another IGA CV :(

He needs to come back for a Julius Belmont CV game, but to be honest I'd rather see a new Classicvania.

Finally someone that is a bit fed up metroidvania.... I really want another one of those. LOS is the closest to one in a while, but the metroidvania fanboys keep crying about it.

Finally someone that is a bit fed up metroidvania.... I really want another one of those. LOS is the closest to one in a while, but the metroidvania fanboys keep crying about it.

LoS is GoW with a Castlevania skin. Thats not at all what i want the series to turn into.

LoS is GoW with a Castlevania skin. Thats not at all what i want the series to turn into.

Other than the QTEs how else would classic CV translate into a 3D action game? It's either going to be like LOI where it takes from DMC or play more like a GOW game.

Nah, Lords of Shadow isn't anything like Classicvania. Wanna know why? It's a really telling thing; platforming and combat sections are separate from each other in Lords of Shadow. That distinction is even more apparent in Mirror of Fate.

But I've said this plenty of times before, I am a Castlevania fan. I have a fondness for all the games, even the ones that try to be different but fall short. Castlevania is a series united by a backdrop of monsters and myths, but it's also about ideas pulling it in all kinds of different directions.

I'm not sick of Metroidvania really, I'm sick of Metroidvania fans who are arguably the most vocal and repugnant fanboys around. If I had my way, we'd still see classic and metroidvania releases today, I don't believe one format is laid to rest when another is launched.

I think that must be what people thought of Lords of Shadow, that it had killed metroidvania somehow. If not when it was announced, surely after it creped onto the 3DS where fans had assumed IGA would be debuting his latest MV. 

Lords of Shadow has been fun though. The main series needed a break anyway. The timeline is pretty crowded now, and there was only so long they could keep reusing sprites from as early as Castlevania IV. If older CV styles come back, let them come back afresh and new, because that's what the series does best; evolves.

Nah, Lords of Shadow isn't anything like Classicvania. Wanna know why? It's a really telling thing; platforming and combat sections are separate from each other in Lords of Shadow. That distinction is even more apparent in Mirror of Fate.

But I've said this plenty of times before, I am a Castlevania fan. I have a fondness for all the games, even the ones that try to be different but fall short. Castlevania is a series united by a backdrop of monsters and myths, but it's also about ideas pulling it in all kinds of different directions.

I'm not sick of Metroidvania really, I'm sick of Metroidvania fans who are arguably the most vocal and repugnant fanboys around. If I had my way, we'd still see classic and metroidvania releases today, I don't believe one format is laid to rest when another is launched.

I think that must be what people thought of Lords of Shadow, that it had killed metroidvania somehow. If not when it was announced, surely after it creped onto the 3DS where fans had assumed IGA would be debuting his latest MV. 

Lords of Shadow has been fun though. The main series needed a break anyway. The timeline is pretty crowded now, and there was only so long they could keep reusing sprites from as early as Castlevania IV. If older CV styles come back, let them come back afresh and new, because that's what the series does best; evolves.

Hmm I've actually never though of it from that angle, and now that you mentioned it.. I can't help but notice that to . My favourite CV game is SC4, and while I like metroidvania, as you stated, the fans are just the worst. What I don't get is that they don't realize metroidvania itself was a departure from the original formula but always talk what is a "real" CV game and what isn't. Also I agree with the timeline, I've pretty much given up trying to follow wtf is going on lol... 

Lastly though I will say, while I enjoyed LOS, I felt that they monster designs weren't on par with the other games. There's a certain lack of grotesqueness that the others had that isn't there in LOS.

SOTN will always be the best game in the series.

I like Rondo of Blood the best when it comes to classic Castlevania game formula.  At least the PC version or the excellent PSP remake.

Downloaded Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen because of PS+. Game still sucks. It really doesn't feel like a Capcom game at all. The mechanics just doesn't feel tight enough, I hate the climbing on enemies a la Shadow of the Colossus. It's just bad.

Downloaded Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen because of PS+. Game still sucks. It really doesn't feel like a Capcom game at all. The mechanics just doesn't feel tight enough, I hate the climbing on enemies a la Shadow of the Colossus. It's just bad.

That doesn't sound like DD at all, there's a lot to complain about in the game but the mechanics definitely isn't one of them. That's the one thing the game gets right, hence all the praise for the combat system. DD straight up puts other RPGs combat to shame in comparison because it feels more in line with an Action game than an RPG. I find it very hard to play other RPGs now thanks to DD's combat spoiling me.

Edited by Sabotage

That doesn't sound like DD at all, there's a lot to complain about in the game but the mechanics definitely isn't one of them. That's the one thing the game gets right, hence all the praise for the combat system. DD straight up puts other RPGs combat to shame in comparison because it feels more in line with an Action game than an RPG. I find it very hard to play other RPGs now thanks to DD's combat spoiling me.

Most action RPGs combat system are junk so that's hardly something I'd call an achievement. 

What exactly do you find so good about the combat? It can't even mimic action games combat right since you're basically just scrolling down attack by holding R1 and L1 then simply pressing a button, it has none of the finesse or depth of a real action game, it's mindless hack and slash with some cool looking moves. The climbing mechanics is really janky and lame, like the rest of the combat itself, there's no real strategic approach to any of it, nor does it has any sort of rewarding complexity to be found anywhere.