The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread (Post Screens)

1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

I’m going to dl the demo :smoke:

I looked up the demo area. It’s from the beginning and includes some of my least favorite puzzles in the entire game, so just be aware of that. 

but its a good teaser as far as the general atmosphere and storytelling is concerned.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -GD-X

• Twinblade

• soup

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't be playing anything for months or close to a year probably, stuck in bumfuck nowhere Montenegro in the middle of endless mountains, imagine Rocky IV's training location without the snow (yet)

There are cheaper ways to torture yourself. Im pretty sure razor blades go for $1-$2.

The amount of shit going on in Control during fights is next level compared to anything else ive seen.   I also started playing Witcher 3 again. Damn this game is fucking awesome. It still l

Posted Images

Tried Jedi survivor on Xbox since it's on gamepass now. I'm shocked at how much better this is than the shitty ass pc port lmao.

Lightroom Classic on my Mac. I think my love for gaming is morphing into a love for color grading pics  (something I enjoyed with films). I can’t seem to get past the 5 minute mark in a game now. 

Been playing quite a bit of Stellar Blade, but I’m still not too far into the main story because of how the game opens up after the first few hours. It’s cool but made me realize that it’s not quite the shorter and more straightforward game I was hoping it would be :ben:

I've spent a a lot of time with Stellar Blade this weekend (~20 hours), and while I really like the game, it definitely has some niggling issues and shortcomings that could have been handled better. So far I think the low AA scores are spot on.

The Wastelands in Stellar Blade are basically killing the game for me. Just a big ass zone that is boring to run around in. The combat has lost a lot of its shine as well because the same handful of enemies are just copy pasted all over the place. Not getting the praise for the combat, its pretty mid TBH.

11 minutes ago, Sabo said:

The Wastelands in Stellar Blade are basically killing the game for me. Just a big ass zone that is boring to run around in. The combat has lost a lot of its shine as well because the same handful of enemies are just copy pasted all over the place. Not getting the praise for the combat, its pretty mid TBH.

I think they could have shown some restraint with the open areas. I like exploring them but the loop is mostly just gathering crafting materials and fighting the same few enemies.

The combat doesn't evolve as much as i'd like which is my main issue with it, I was especially surprised by how meh the locked 2 skill trees are after unlocking them. Im still only like halfway through so im hoping they have some more tricks up their sleeve that haven't been revealed yet.

-Combat has become literally nothing but spamming Beta and Burst skills.

-Normal attacks do minimal damage even with a highly upgraded sword and the only reason to use Normal attacks is to recharge Beta energy.

-All the Normal attack gear is useless so just equip Beta/Burst related gear.

-Parries are pointless because Perfect Dodge recharges Burst energy.

-Retribution system might as well not even exist.

-The "super" mode is underwhelming because it's damage output is pathetic even when you spam Skills. Its only use is the invincibility so you can tack on "free damage" for 10 seconds.

The combat in this game falls flat on its face once you reach late game LOL.

Edited by Sabo
5 hours ago, Sabo said:

-Combat has become literally nothing but spamming Beta and Burst skills.

-Normal attacks do minimal damage even with a highly upgraded sword and the only reason to use Normal attacks is to recharge Beta energy.

-All the Normal attack gear is useless so just equip Beta/Burst related gear.

-Parries are pointless because Perfect Dodge recharges Burst energy.

-Retribution system might as well not even exist.

-The "super" mode is underwhelming because it's damage output is pathetic even when you spam Skills. Its only use is the invincibility so you can tack on "free damage" for 10 seconds.

The combat in this game falls flat on its face once you reach late game LOL.

Lol the super mode does feel like a bit of an insult. When I used it the first time and realized I was barely whittling down enemies' HPs my first reaction was 'really?'

17 hours ago, madmaltese said:

Finished Dave the Diver at around 24h. If I had played this last year when it released on PC then it would've been a big GOTY contender for me. 

this seems perfect for the steam deck. i have to pick it up.

8 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Would be the perfect handheld game.

Just picked it up, along with Hades (major sale - so double dipped), and grime ( @Twinblade  recommended this one. Demo owned). Grime was also dirt cheap. All 3 games came out to $45. Downloading Dave The Diver and Fallout 4. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

Just picked it up, along with Hades (major sale - so double dipped), and grime ( @Twinblade  recommended this one. Demo owned). Grime was also dirt cheap. All 3 games came out to $45. Downloading Dave The Diver and Fallout 4. 

Hope you like it man. The more time you give it the more the game continues to expand. 

• aitch 1
8 hours ago, -GD-X said:

I was hoping you'd play some of the adventure games I mentioned next :meh: those are good choices tho.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I was hoping you'd play some of the adventure games I mentioned next :meh: those are good choices tho.

I have such ADHD lol. You are right. I’m going to start with one of those first - the one you had recommended I start with. It’s already downloaded. That’s the problem with Steam - too many great games to play lol. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

On the final boss in Stellar Blade. Completely unreasonable fight difficulty wise. I don’t know why games recently have had such annoying final bosses.

worth playing when it hits $20?

So yeah as mentioned I finished Stellar Blade. Took me around 32 hours and that includes having done most of the side content

The game is really impressive in many ways. The setting is neat and even though it relies on many different sci fi tropes there's actually a good amount of decent storytelling and lore, at least by action game standards. This benefits the side quests as the side characters are decent and worth helping. The soundtrack is also filled with bangers, people who like Nier will really dig most of the tracks here.

In some ways the game does try to do too much though. There's a lot of platforming but it feels floaty and nowhere near as responsive as it should be. This wouldn't be too much of an issue if the fall damage was reasonable but I died a lot of times just from falling, especially when exploring the more open areas. Which also have issues in and of itself, as sabo mentioned they're filled with many of the same mobs of enemies scattered throughout, and there's no quick and efficient way to get around besides sprinting for long stretches at a time. The other problem with this is that when you aggro enemies they seem to follow you FOREVER. And when you're in this state you can't open any of the many crates with resources and items until you finish off the nearby enemies. So this results in a loop where you're often taking out a lot of enemies in an area just to open a crate.

The combat was definitely fun enough to sustain a lot of these encounters though. It does get repetitive because the core move set is limited and there's no additional weapons, and as I said in a previous post a lot of the skills you unlock aren't that interesting. But when you have those moments where you manage to parry or dodge multiple attacks in a row and then follow up with a counter, that stuff rarely got old especially during the many flashy boss battles (one of the game's highlights for sure).

Overall its really solid and the devs should be happy with the foundation they created. Its really just a couple of tweaks and additions away from being a truly great action RPG, and hopefully that potential will be realized in a sequel (which seems inevitable given the game's success).

8/10

• Upvote 1