God of War is the best game of this generation.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't believe I'm saying this, I always hated the GoW series but this one is a different beast altogether. It's more Legend of Zelda than a pure action game and the puzzles, level design, traversal

Lol some of you guys take gaming way too seriously. It’s subjective. Just agree to disagree. While I think GoW is the “better game”, I enjoyed  Detroit a lot more - and it’s a 7.0 flop. I also couldn’

I've played it and I don't think the game is that good. I agree with the praise the game gets when it comes to it's narrative because it honestly surprised me with how good it is but the gameplay has plenty of faults. I don't see any aspect of it's gameplay being close to brilliant or well designed.

All three of the core aspects of this series (platforming, puzzles, and combat) are terrible in this game compared to previous entries. 

Platforming use to be an essential part of the experience, it was actual platforming where you would have to time your jumps and judge distances. You would have to avoid hazards and traps and the previous games would even incorporate combat and puzzle solving into the platforming sections. Now platforming might as well be nonexistent in this game and I hardly even consider these sections to be platforming sections. You just hold a direction and push the Interact button every once in a while to jump to the next portion. These sections are so completely on rails that they require zero effort to get through, this is a huge far cry from how the previous games handled this gameplay element. The only interesting thing that ever happens during a "platforming" section in the new GoW is that a conversation might happen between Kratos and The Boy. That's it, that's not an exaggeration or a stretch, dialogue is literally the only interesting thing that will ever happen during a platforming section. After the 4th or 5th platforming section in this game I realized what their real purpose was, they're set as something for the player to do while the game loads in stuff for the next section of the game.  Platforming is no longer treated as an integral part of the GoW experience, these sections no longer require actual challenge or even provide variety to the overall gameplay. Instead platforming has been extremely downgraded to being used as a playable loading screen. 

Puzzles, another defining part of the previous GoW games, also stack up poorly compared to previous games. The vast majority of the puzzles in this new game are just bland and are all solved with the same solution- throw axe at thing. That's the solution for damn near every puzzle in the game. There really isn't much for me to talk about when it comes to the puzzles in this game because there really isn't anything substantial or well designed here. It's all so incredibly basic, within two hours of playing the game the player will be conditioned to look for glyphs or gear cogs to throw your axe at to solve puzzles and it stays like this for the entire game. The game never dares to introduce something more complicated than that. The only time there is even a slight jump in difficulty is when you're scanning your surroundings trying to figure out, "Ok, I know I have to throw the axe at something but I don't see what that something is yet..." Some time may pass and then it's, "Oh, there it is",  and the player proceeds to *throw axe at thing* and move on. The puzzles in this game are nowhere near thought provoking because they are designed to be solved by children.

And now we get to what I consider to be the absolute worst part of the game, the combat. Granted, I've never considered the combat in this series to be good, but I have always considered the combat to be passable. That being said, I find the combat in this game to be an absolute mess because it suffers from so many poorly implemented design decisions. The most obvious one being the camera and the thing is, the game is aware that its camera is a problem. This is a camera angle that works just fine for shooters because the majority of the action is happening at mid to long ranges. The need to understand distances between you and enemies isn't that important because the distance between you and them is almost always going to be several feet and yards. However, with melee combat the majority of the action is happening at close range. The need to understand the distance and spacing between yourself and the enemy as well as the players spatial awareness is far more important and this camera angle fails at delivering this information accurately. The game tries to work around the problems in a myriad of ways but none of these solutions are really viable and some of these solutions actually make the game easier than it should be (I'll explain later). 

**Now I'm only going to talk about my issues with the combat when it comes to the camera. I could go on about enemies, bosses, the awful RPG implentation that creates a game more focused on stats and less about player skill, the poor balancing of player moves and abilities, enemy group formations relying on cheesy shit (this game LOVES placing snipers who constantly spam attacks on higher terrain for one example), as well as many other things but I don't want this post to get too long so I'm not going to. I just want to focus on my problem with the camera for now.** 

The first thing the game does to work around the camera is a homing mechanic. Since the distance between you and enemies can be unclear the game will compensate for this by having Kratos and enemies home in on each other when they're within range (well... usually this happens but not all the time). This creates issues where Kratos will home in on unattended targets and can make Kratos feel unyielding at times. This homing feature is more noticeable when fighting bare handed or using Rage of Gods, the homing mechanic becomes much stronger when you're fighting in these states (the homing on Rage of Gods in particular will have Kratos darting nearly full screen to attack an enemy which can be really silly looking). Remember though this homing feature works both ways since it's also applied to enemies and this makes enemy attacks harder to read. I may think I am out of range of an enemies attack only to find that the enemy may slide right in front of me in an instant since their attack actually homed in on me. This erratic behavior of when an attack will have the homing property creates an inconsistent understanding of attack ranges and timings, core information that SHOULD be easy to understand and therefore reliable but the homing mechanic makes it all muddled and unreliable. This is not a good thing because it created a wall of distrust between the game and me. I couldn't trust what I was seeing because it could very easily have gone another way if the homing decided it wanted to kick in or not.

Further acknowledgement  for unclear distance recognition can be seen with Kratos' attacks themselves. There are about 30 types of Runic Attacks in the game, now I can go on and on about how awful Runic Attacks are (lack of variety, absurd cooldown times, terrible balancing, etc.) but for this specific conversation I want to point out how almost all of the Runic Attacks are a projectile or AoE type of attack. Now take a simple glance at the Axe Upgrades specifically and take note of how many of those upgrades involve Kratos throwing the axe or flinging the axe in front of him in large, sweeping arcs. Runic Attacks and Axe Upgrades are attacks intentionally designed to eliminate the need for solid understanding of enemy and player positioning, information that should be more vital to understand for a game centered around melee combat (ie- CLOSE range combat). The cherry on top to drive the point further home of the game working around unclear distance recognition is the Blades of Chaos, a weapon that WASN'T suppose to be in the game to begin with. The most likely reason it was even brought back though is because of the weapons very nature, the Blades of Chaos naturally work around the inherent problems of the camera angle since it's a weapon designed and known for having long, sweeping attacks. 

Bottom line- the game is aware that it is a melee focused game using a shooter style camera angle so the majority of attacks in this game are  mid-long range... instead of being close range... where melee combat should be focused...

The next "solution" the game incorporates to work around the camera is a threat location system. Since the camera provides terrible spatial awareness the game tries to compensate for this by having markers appear around Kratos that point in the direction of off screen enemies. These markers will even change color depending on the threat level (red marker meaning the enemy is actively attacking). This sounds like a reasonable system so far until you actually start playing the game and get further into it. As you get further into the game the enemy encounters start getting larger. It's in these larger encounters where the amount of threat locators placed on Kratos can get downright comical. The first time I saw 5 threat locators get placed on Kratos at once I had to pause the game because I could not stop laughing at how ridiculous it was. These threat locators also have the unintentional effect of making larger encounters actually easier to work through than they would be in any other game. Since these threat indicators will change colors depending on the level of threat it's corresponding enemy currently represents, all you have to do is wait to push the dodge button when you see one go red. You don't have to worry about your distance, positioning, or even proper timing to avoid an attack because the game did all that work for you. All you have to do is push a button when you see a threat indicator go red. Simple and unrewarding.

The hilarious thing is this game wouldn't of had to jump through all these hoops to work around the problems the camera represents if they would've just went with a more traditional camera angle. When all your problems can be solved by simply switching the camera view it becomes apparent that the developers stuck with this camera out of sheer stubborness. Why? I have no idea, they clearly thought they needed to change GoW in order to move forward and in some aspects I think the change worked very well. 

I love the new narrative direction the series is headed in. The world building and the characters is a HUGE step forward for the franchise. I always looked forward to the next tale Mimir would tell as I sailed to my next location and I loved any scene that had Baldur in it (Baldur is easily one of the best villains we've gotten in a video game in a long time). I was also very engaged in watching the relationship between Kratos and The Boy grow because of it's swell execution. Watching Kratos struggling to come to terms with who he was and being very guarded about his past with his son was honestly the highlight of the game for me.  Kratos showing shame for the things he's done was a side of Kratos I thought we'd never see, and seeing the fight within himself to be better so he can set a proper example for his son is pretty relatable (Kratos as a relatable character? WTF?).  The moments where Kratos is basically begging his son to be better than him come off as genuine and these are the moments that stuck with me long after I beat the game because of how well executed they were. I honestly feel like this game is worth playing simply for the story. It's THAT good.

This same level of praise isn't applied to the gameplay though. This new GoW's gameplay just comes off as a game suffering from a severe identity crisis. In it's pursuit for change the game has completely lost sight of what it was. Platforming? Completely gone. Well designed puzzles? Gone. Combat? Not even passable. I just feel bad for the game. I feel like I shouldn't be kicking it when it's down but instead be helping it back up and pointing it to the right direction.

I've been writing off the claim that 'the media has a clear Sony bias' as fanboy nonsense for a few years now but after seeing all the praise this game has been getting... Ehhh... This is the first time I've felt that maybe, just maybe, there might be some truth to that claim.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, Bodycount NX said:

zelda and bayo 2 assrape anything on GS4 and that's a fact. :D 

Bayo 2 makes Dad of War look like child's play.

Gow 2018 is s a solid 7.5 game. better than the past fisher price flops the series shat out, sure, but it's amateur hour.

Bayo 2 :smoke: Fucking ridiculous

I loved Bayo 2 but no. Bayo 2 has better combat but worse everything else, level design, story, etc.

And fuck this, I'm gonna go read Sabotage's post now. 

3 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Long ass text

Platforming was terrible clunky shit with a fixed camera perspective in previous games. WTF are you smoking? I'm glad it's gone in favor of NON platforming. Do platforming right or just don't bother.

The traversal puzzles are excellently well designed, albeit simple. You say there's only the axe (Which is actually used in a myriad of ways) but what about the wind power you need to take with the chains? Like what the fuck, no one wants to stop pondering for hours on how to solve the next puzzles. It's all intuitively natural to do and works well in unison with all the powers you acquire. This is what good level design and traversal is.

I agree that the game relies too much on it's RPG elements. There's a lot of fights that I found really hard but it was just because I wasn't at an equal level so I was being punished hard with every hit. You come back stronger later and the fight becomes a joke. The camera has it's issue but nothing as aggravating as you make it out to be. The arrows clearly shows where the next attacks comes from, it might not be the best solution but it works. I didn't ruin the combat for me anyhow. I don't mind that there's an auto homing/lock on that happens, it never felt as if the game too control away from me. The combat is infinitely better than in previous games.

Runic attacks are kinda cheap, I'll give you that.

It's the only GoW game with a good story/narrative. At least you understands that much. 

I don't care about how pissed you are about minor issues on gameplay mechanics, you are ignoring the picture at large as usual. Previous GoW games were clunky garbage, I can't stomach any of them. This is far better than it has ever been. You're extremely anal retentive about everything. I'm seriously questioning if you are capable of enjoying anything. I don't even mean that as an offense but your standards for every little game mechanics are ridiculously high. 

Tell me this, what similar game would you put above GoW this gen? Bloodborne, Bayonetta 2? Yeah, I bet you can barely come up with anything. You're like the ultimate elitist gamer. What's your top games this gen? NieR Automata? Lmfao.

26 minutes ago, Sabo said:

I've played it and I don't think the game is that good. I agree with the praise the game gets when it comes to it's narrative because it honestly surprised me with how good it is but the gameplay has plenty of faults. I don't see any aspect of it's gameplay being close to brilliant or well designed.

All three of the core aspects of this series (platforming, puzzles, and combat) are terrible in this game compared to previous entries. 

Platforming use to be an essential part of the experience, it was actual platforming where you would have to time your jumps and judge distances. You would have to avoid hazards and traps and the previous games would even incorporate combat and puzzle solving into the platforming sections. Now platforming might as well be nonexistent in this game and I hardly even consider these sections to be platforming sections. You just hold a direction and push the Interact button every once in a while to jump to the next portion. These sections are so completely on rails that they require zero effort to get through, this is a huge far cry from how the previous games handled this gameplay element. The only interesting thing that ever happens during a "platforming" section in the new GoW is that a conversation might happen between Kratos and The Boy. That's it, that's not an exaggeration or a stretch, dialogue is literally the only interesting thing that will ever happen during a platforming section. After the 4th or 5th platforming section in this game I realized what their real purpose was, they're set as something for the player to do while the game loads in stuff for the next section of the game.  Platforming is no longer treated as an integral part of the GoW experience, these sections no longer require actual challenge or even provide variety to the overall gameplay. Instead platforming has been extremely downgraded to being used as a playable loading screen. 

Puzzles, another defining part of the previous GoW games, also stack up poorly compared to previous games. The vast majority of the puzzles in this new game are just bland and are all solved with the same solution- throw axe at thing. That's the solution for damn near every puzzle in the game. There really isn't much for me to talk about when it comes to the puzzles in this game because there really isn't anything substantial or well designed here. It's all so incredibly basic, within two hours of playing the game the player will be conditioned to look for glyphs or gear cogs to throw your axe at to solve puzzles and it stays like this for the entire game. The game never dares to introduce something more complicated than that. The only time there is even a slight jump in difficulty is when you're scanning your surroundings trying to figure out, "Ok, I know I have to throw the axe at something but I don't see what that something is yet..." Some time may pass and then it's, "Oh, there it is",  and the player proceeds to *throw axe at thing* and move on. The puzzles in this game are nowhere near thought provoking because they are designed to be solved by children.

And now we get to what I consider to be the absolute worst part of the game, the combat. Granted, I've never considered the combat in this series to be good, but I have always considered the combat to be passable. That being said, I find the combat in this game to be an absolute mess because it suffers from so many poorly implemented design decisions. The most obvious one being the camera and the thing is, the game is aware that its camera is a problem. This is a camera angle that works just fine for shooters because the majority of the action is happening at mid to long ranges. The need to understand distances between you and enemies isn't that important because the distance between you and them is almost always going to be several feet and yards. However, with melee combat the majority of the action is happening at close range. The need to understand the distance and spacing between yourself and the enemy as well as the players spatial awareness is far more important and this camera angle fails at delivering this information accurately. The game tries to work around the problems in a myriad of ways but none of these solutions are really viable and some of these solutions actually make the game easier than it should be (I'll explain later). 

**Now I'm only going to talk about my issues with the combat when it comes to the camera. I could go on about enemies, bosses, the awful RPG implentation that creates a game more focused on stats and less about player skill, the poor balancing of player moves and abilities, enemy group formations relying on cheesy shit (this game LOVES placing snipers who constantly spam attacks on higher terrain for one example), as well as many other things but I don't want this post to get too long so I'm not going to. I just want to focus on my problem with the camera for now.** 

The first thing the game does to work around the camera is a homing mechanic. Since the distance between you and enemies can be unclear the game will compensate for this by having Kratos and enemies home in on each other when they're within range (well... usually this happens but not all the time). This creates issues where Kratos will home in on unattended targets and can make Kratos feel unyielding at times. This homing feature is more noticeable when fighting bare handed or using Rage of Gods, the homing mechanic becomes much stronger when you're fighting in these states (the homing on Rage of Gods in particular will have Kratos darting nearly full screen to attack an enemy which can be really silly looking). Remember though this homing feature works both ways since it's also applied to enemies and this makes enemy attacks harder to read. I may think I am out of range of an enemies attack only to find that the enemy may slide right in front of me in an instant since their attack actually homed in on me. This erratic behavior of when an attack will have the homing property creates an inconsistent understanding of attack ranges and timings, core information that SHOULD be easy to understand and therefore reliable but the homing mechanic makes it all muddled and unreliable. This is not a good thing because it created a wall of distrust between the game and me. I couldn't trust what I was seeing because it could very easily have gone another way if the homing decided it wanted to kick in or not.

Further acknowledgement  for unclear distance recognition can be seen with Kratos' attacks themselves. There are about 30 types of Runic Attacks in the game, now I can go on and on about how awful Runic Attacks are (lack of variety, absurd cooldown times, terrible balancing, etc.) but for this specific conversation I want to point out how almost all of the Runic Attacks are a projectile or AoE type of attack. Now take a simple glance at the Axe Upgrades specifically and take note of how many of those upgrades involve Kratos throwing the axe or flinging the axe in front of him in large, sweeping arcs. Runic Attacks and Axe Upgrades are attacks intentionally designed to eliminate the need for solid understanding of enemy and player positioning, information that should be more vital to understand for a game centered around melee combat (ie- CLOSE range combat). The cherry on top to drive the point further home of the game working around unclear distance recognition is the Blades of Chaos, a weapon that WASN'T suppose to be in the game to begin with. The most likely reason it was even brought back though is because of the weapons very nature, the Blades of Chaos naturally work around the inherent problems of the camera angle since it's a weapon designed and known for having long, sweeping attacks. 

Bottom line- the game is aware that it is a melee focused game using a shooter style camera angle so the majority of attacks in this game are  mid-long range... instead of being close range... where melee combat should be focused...

The next "solution" the game incorporates to work around the camera is a threat location system. Since the camera provides terrible spatial awareness the game tries to compensate for this by having markers appear around Kratos that point in the direction of off screen enemies. These markers will even change color depending on the threat level (red marker meaning the enemy is actively attacking). This sounds like a reasonable system so far until you actually start playing the game and get further into it. As you get further into the game the enemy encounters start getting larger. It's in these larger encounters where the amount of threat locators placed on Kratos can get downright comical. The first time I saw 5 threat locators get placed on Kratos at once I had to pause the game because I could not stop laughing at how ridiculous it was. These threat locators also have the unintentional effect of making larger encounters actually easier to work through than they would be in any other game. Since these threat indicators will change colors depending on the level of threat it's corresponding enemy currently represents, all you have to do is wait to push the dodge button when you see one go red. You don't have to worry about your distance, positioning, or even proper timing to avoid an attack because the game did all that work for you. All you have to do is push a button when you see a threat indicator go red. Simple and unrewarding.

The hilarious thing is this game wouldn't of had to jump through all these hoops to work around the problems the camera represents if they would've just went with a more traditional camera angle. When all your problems can be solved by simply switching the camera view it becomes apparent that the developers stuck with this camera out of sheer stubborness. Why? I have no idea, they clearly thought they needed to change GoW in order to move forward and in some aspects I think the change worked very well. 

I love the new narrative direction the series is headed in. The world building and the characters is a HUGE step forward for the franchise. I always looked forward to the next tale Mimir would tell as I sailed to my next location and I loved any scene that had Baldur in it (Baldur is easily one of the best villains we've gotten in a video game in a long time). I was also very engaged in watching the relationship between Kratos and The Boy grow because of it's swell execution. Watching Kratos struggling to come to terms with who he was and being very guarded about his past with his son was honestly the highlight of the game for me.  Kratos showing shame for the things he's done was a side of Kratos I thought we'd never see, and seeing the fight within himself to be better so he can set a proper example for his son is pretty relatable (Kratos as a relatable character? WTF?).  The moments where Kratos is basically begging his son to be better than him come off as genuine and these are the moments that stuck with me long after I beat the game because of how well executed they were. I honestly feel like this game is worth playing simply for the story. It's THAT good.

This same level of praise isn't applied to the gameplay though. This new GoW's gameplay just comes off as a game suffering from a severe identity crisis. In it's pursuit for change the game has completely lost sight of what it was. Platforming? Completely gone. Well designed puzzles? Gone. Combat? Not even passable. I just feel bad for the game. I feel like I shouldn't be kicking it when it's down but instead be helping it back up and pointing it to the right direction.

I've been writing off the claim that 'the media has a clear Sony bias' as fanboy nonsense for a few years now but after seeing all the praise this game has been getting... Ehhh... This is the first time I've felt that maybe, just maybe, there might be some truth to that claim.

Platforming was shit in the old games and never formed an essential part of the experience.

Using a tool as a basis to derive your puzzle structures =/= bad puzzles. Your complaint is as illogical as taking issue with all Portal puzzles being based on the portal gun, all Half Life 2 puzzles being based on the gravity gun or all BOTW puzzles being based on the same three abilities you get from the start. In fact the games with better puzzles tend to be those with a simple tool used in variations of ways

Complaining about the camera and threat indicator just reeks of somebody who sucked at the game. You need some to be good with your positioning, not get yourself dangerously stuck into combos or let enemies flank you. The only time this really became an issue personally was when I was comboing into a wall. The meta is just as much about awareness and not getting yourself in those situations as it is in a game like Bloodborne. The new camera also open up a ton of attacking opportunities they could not have done before.

You feel bad for the game that got 94? You think you’re the bastion of critics consensus?:mj:

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Voidler said:

Platforming was shit in the old games and never formed an essential part of the experience.

Using a tool as a basis to derive your puzzle structures =/= bad puzzles. Your complaint is as illogical as taking issue with all Portal puzzles being based on the portal gun, all Half Life 2 puzzles being based on the gravity gun or all BOTW puzzles being based on the same three abilities you get from the start. In fact the games with better puzzles tend to be those with a simple tool used in variations of ways

Complaining about the camera and threat indicator just reeks of somebody who sucked at the game. You need some to be good with your positioning, not get yourself dangerously stuck into combos or let enemies flank you. The only time this really became an issue personally was when I was comboing into a wall. The meta is just as much about awareness and not getting yourself in those situations as it is in a game like Bloodborne. The new camera also open up a ton of attacking opportunities they could not have done before.

You feel bad for the game that got 94? You think you’re the bastion of critics consensus?:mj:

Dude is fucking ridiculous with his blown out of proportions nitpicking.

I personally LOVE the fixed camera perspective. Makes the fights feels far more visceral and personal than a regular third person perspective ever would. The cleave attacks finishers are straight up some of the most satisfying kills I had in a game in long ass time. But it's probably not good enough for Sabo has it don't mean you have to do jump cancels a la DMC to get a air combo that lasts two hole minutes. So hardcore.

@Sabo

I wouldn't be as harsh as you but yes I too was a little disappointed by it. The combat was my biggest gripe. It was 'fun' in the old games. People can whine about how tge combos were performed but it worked well, flowed well and it was fun.

In this new game there less variety but my major gripe is that it feels stiff. Like when you hit an enemy it feels like you're hitting a brick wall. It just sapped a lot of fun out of it for me.

Beyond that I enjoyed the game mostly enough. I'd agree that the lakc of puzzles and platformings was also disappointinting though.

At times I felt like I was being robbed of gameplay. Everytime I walked along and had the game slow down while Kratos and his kid had a convo I coulnd't help but think "in the old games I'd be having an extra fight/puzzle at this point".

I know Bodycount rips on Sony for only having these types of games. I never believed it but God of War did make me question if he was right lol

I don't mind TLOU or Uncharted being like this because that's what they are. God of war however isn't like that and doesn't need to be like that.

The one thing I will give the game is it had some of the best side quests ever. I ignored them until late in the game and then realized how good they were. They didn't feel like pointless thrown in missions, each one would take you to a new area in the map and all had its own story. It was much more than I was expecting.

I'd probably still give it an 8/10 but I enjoyed the old games more. Can't see myself replaying this one to be honest.

So because I talked negatively about your precious little masterpiece I automatically suck at the game, I  am anal and nitpicky, and I'm overblowing minor details? 

Okay, first of all, thank you both for reminding me why I rarely bother to visit this place.

Secondly, I absolutely love how both of you dismiss my point on the platforming by countering with your SUBJECTIVE reasoning....

lolol bubuh teh platforming sucked in previous games

I didn't say anything about the platforming being good or bad in the previous games because that is subjective. I was being objective and the platforming in the previous games is objectively better than this new game. The previous games platforming sections incorporated many more elements and were designed with far more attention. This new game has objectively worse platforming because it does the absolute bare minimum with it, that is a fact. Rather you think these sections in the old game were good or bad is moot and I honestly don't care for your piss poor subjective reasonings.  The point stands the platforming in the new game is a massive downgrade when compared to the previous ones. Cry all you want, it won't change this simple truth.

Secondly, distance and spatial awareness  is hardly a minor complaint. That's a LARGE component of a game using melee combat. Attacks should behave consistently. When an attack behaves consistently the player is able to recognize and learn the attacks range, how long the attack is active, how long an attack takes to recover, how to properly avoid an attack, how to properly counter an attack, etc.

This is Game Design 101.

When you add an element that completely throws ANY of this basic IMPORTANT information out of whack, it fucks with everything. This isn't a minor issue,...

Imagine a Fighting Game where the hitboxes for a characters attack could randomly expand by a single pixel at any moment. That single pixel, while seemingly minor and unimportant,  can fuck with everything. This is the very reason why developers are so careful when it comes to tweaking hitboxes and even adjusting frame data by a SINGLE frame. These small changes that may seem "minor" can have MAJOR implications.

And did you honestly dare to compare the puzzles in this game to the likes of Portal? Are you fucking delusional? Portal does indeed have a single mechanic but the ways it explores that single mechanic is VAST. Portal does a lot of things with it's single mechanic. Simple stuff such as limiting where you can place portals to traverse to the next area is just the tip of the iceberg. These areas where you can place portals start getting linked to timed mechanics. Then  Portal evolves to start including momentum into the equation and all the different ways you can experiment with that alone. And just when you think there's no more tricks up it's sleeve the game throws in the gels that starts to add layers of gravity and new ways to play around with the  physics. Even stuff such as avoiding hazards (gun turrets for one example) start to require newer and more complex solutions to get around. Then in the final stretch Portal starts incorporating ALL of it's elements into single rooms where the solutions start requiring some serious thinking to get through. You know, like a good puzzle SHOULD do. GoW does absolutely NOTHING even close to this. You are giving the game FAR more credit than it actually deserves but considering how much your jerking off over how "perfect" the game is, I'm not even surprised.

And in cased you guys missed it, I did say the game was worth playing. I did like the story and I did enjoy my time I spent with the game. It's just a game I can only play once because the thought of playing through it a second time around just doesn't interest me. The gameplay is lacking, I didn't particularly care for it.

If you like it then good for you, I guess. I clearly didn't get the same enjoyment out of the game as you both did.

The fact is God of war was a bit of a disappointment for me, but SotC, Detroit and Spider-Man all delivered.

At the same time I'm sure there are people who think God of war is GOTG but Detroit sucked balls.

This is why PlayStation owns, because there's something for everyone. They don't tend to pin all their hopes on one game as much as Microsoft and Nintendo do. That's whats important :reg:

As a Cow I couldn't care less about Naughty Dog games or racing games yet I still find the most good exclusives on PlayStation.

Now imagine Xbox if you didn't care for Halo or racing games....yeah it completely falls apart.

4 hours ago, TLHBO said:

The fact is God of war was a bit of a disappointment for me, but SotC, Detroit and Spider-Man all delivered.

At the same time I'm sure there are people who think God of war is GOTG but Detroit sucked balls.

This is why PlayStation owns, because there's something for everyone. They don't tend to pin all their hopes on one game as much as Microsoft and Nintendo do. That's whats important :reg:

As a Cow I couldn't care less about Naughty Dog games or racing games yet I still find the most good exclusives on PlayStation.

Now imagine Xbox if you didn't care for Halo or racing games....yeah it completely falls apart.

Even Bodycount can't take the endless racing games being half the XBox line up lol.

:mj: 

No platforming > abysmal platforming.

A little bit of auto lock-on/homing is not an issue. Dude is losing sleep over threat indicators. 

The level design and traversal are brilliant. Lay off the crack pipe.

1 minute ago, Ramza said:

:mj: 

No platforming > abysmal platforming.

A little bit of auto lock-on/homing is not an issue. Dude is losing sleep over threat indicators. 

The level design and traversal are brilliant. Lay off the crack pipe.

Even TLHBO of all cows found it disappointing, too much VR has rotted your brain lmfao, you're still trying to pick  up your head from the floor after Sabo's schooling, clean sabre cut LOL.

Cuck of War :rofl:

6 minutes ago, bhytre said:

Even TLHBO of all cows found it disappointing, too much VR has rotted your brain lmfao, you're still trying to pick  up your head from the floor after Sabo's schooling, clean sabre cut LOL.

TLHBO’s idea of a good game is Perfect Dark Zero

We really only keep him around because he is a professional at demolishing lemmings

3 minutes ago, bhytre said:

Lmao, Sabo is ridiculous and his criticism are shallow as fuck. Ignoring good level design and puzzles because it involves throwing an axe at thing %50 of the time while ignoring the actual design behind it. Arguing that zoning is important in action game because Kratos auto-lock on to enemies? Lol, what the fuck.

The game is phenomenal. Only a mental person wouldn't enjoy it and think it's bad, or cite previous games in the series as an example of how to do things right (GoW was never good), it's superior in every way.

GotG of War :juggle: 

38 minutes ago, McWickedSmawt85 said:

ITT: Cow on cow violence. :vince:

They radically changed one of playstations best games. Of course it's going to divide opinion.

I don't think it was a bad game, I just don't think it was as amazing as people make out. 8/10 from me.

If they tightened up the combat and worked on that it would great.

16 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Lmao, Sabo is ridiculous and his criticism are shallow as fuck. Ignoring good level design and puzzles because it involves throwing an axe at thing %50 of the time while ignoring the actual design behind it. Arguing that zoning is important in action game because Kratos auto-lock on to enemies? Lol, what the fuck.

The game is phenomenal. Only a mental person wouldn't enjoy it and think it's bad, or cite previous games in the series as an example of how to do things right (GoW was never good), it's superior in every way.

GotG of War :juggle: 

Well you and other cows also think Yakushit 0 is some phenomenal game while I'm sitting here playing a clean-looking PS2 game with the exact same gameplay and shitty boss fights as all other Yakushit games before.

I'll side with Sabo and TLHBO on this one :danylol:

VR brain rot lmfao