"you cant plaaah maa xboxxsss :cries::cries:"    this gen killed you :tom: 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

they went gameless this gen, so it's the next logical step

Makes sense. Why woukd they need discs when they have no games?

No discs means lemmings have lost their only exclusive this gen: 4K Blu Rays 

2 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Why are you guys banking on an absolute absurdity? This has 0% chance of happening.

It's a possibility. The only other scenario I can see him pointing is that you won't have to buy games you bought digitally and can stream them say to your phone on Xcloud without needing to buy them again. 

I don't see how this would be surprising when it was MS's plan 6 years ago in 2013. There is a possibility they'll rebrand it for next gen especially with their stream and gamepass plans. 

Edit: A discless digital only One model has been confirmed for 2019 BTW. 

Edited by Team 2019
56 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

It's a possibility. The only other scenario I can see him pointing is that you won't have to buy games you bought digitally and can stream them say to your phone on Xcloud without needing to buy them again. 

I don't see how this would be surprising when it was MS's plan 6 years ago in 2013. There is a possibility they'll rebrand it for next gen especially with their stream and gamepass plans. 

Edit: A discless digital only One model has been confirmed for 2019 BTW. 

It's not a possibility by any stretch of the imagination, an optional model at release or further down the line will be but a mandated optical drive muted system won't happen. 

I would literally sign away the title to my car on this, this would never happen.

1 hour ago, DynamiteCop! said:

It's not a possibility by any stretch of the imagination, an optional model at release or further down the line will be but a mandated optical drive muted system won't happen. 

I would literally sign away the title to my car on this, this would never happen.

This is a company that wanted to kill used games, and release an always online console. This is the same thing rebranded in a better candy wrapper. It's not a surreal scenario for MS at all, especially since they're looking at the PC market that's all digital. 

If they can grow gamepass, profits, services and the disk drive going is part of that plan. I don't see how this can be excluded as a scenario. 

Edited by Team 2019
4 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

This is a company that wanted to kill used games, and release an always online console. This is the same thing rebranded in a better candy wrapper. It's not a surreal scenario for MS at all, especially since they're looking at the PC market that's all digital. 

If they can grow gamepass, profits, services and the disk drive going is part of that plan. I don't know how this can be excluded as a scenario. 

But you're begging the question, your logic is circular and the answer as to why this won't happen is included in the premise of what you're saying. Literally your first sentence and the backlash and problems that caused is exactly why this has a zero percent chance of happening. Not to mention the size of games, this isn't movies where things can be compressed down to a few GB's and retain quality, it's a game and they're not going to force 100 gigabyte and beyond downloads on people.

0% possibility, less than zero. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

backlash

With a digital only option coming, I'd say they're more than ready for it. With a digital SKU console happening, games will have to come in form of codes regardless to be all inclusive. A digital only SKU by default means its the lowest common distribution denominator, it might not be worth sticking a drive for a smaller percentage of people. 

Especially if the cheaper Lockhart is discless, it guarantees Anaconda will be discless. 

Just now, Team 2019 said:

With a digital only option coming, I'd say they're more than ready for it. With a digital SKU console happening, games will have to come in form of codes regardless to be all inclusive. A digital only SKU by default means its the lowest common distribution denominator, it might not be worth sticking a drive for a smaller percentage of people. 

Especially if the cheaper Lockhart is discless, it guarantees Anaconda will be discless. 

You're out of your mind on this one, you've completely lost the plot. You can already buy digital versions of games at retail, there are game cards which can be purchased just like XBL and PS+ cards. They're not going to mandate something like that, it's a no win situation and will just drive people away. The goal is to make people comfortable with digital adoption, not force it. Why do you think Play Anywhere exists? It provides a bonus for people who make the choice to buy digitally instead of physically. Microsoft wants to curate a transition, not force it and we all know the result of forcing things on people.

I'm sorry but to even think would happen is just stupidity, like you would have to be dumb to think they would force this. 

Here's why the rumor is possible.

If Microsoft is releasing a mid-level version of Xbox hardware at around $200-$300 that is discless, and a top-version Xbox hardware at $500-$600 that would have a disc-drive, that creates a problem.

We KNOW that the lower-cost Xbox would sell more units. That's not up for debate, that's exactly how its going to happen. 2 to 1 margin. Shit probably closer to 3 to 1.

WHY would Retailers devote shelf-space for Xbox game discs for only ONE version of Xbox hardware, and its not even the main version that people are buying?

WHY would Microsoft, and third-parties spend money in disc manufacturing and SHIPPING and distribution for game discs that are only going to be compatible with one version of Xbox hardware, and its going to be the smaller userbase?

I'm sure MS has already had their own analyst look into this. Either ALL versions of Xbox hardware will come with disc-drives, or ALL versions of Xbox hardware will come without disc-drives. They have to go all the way with one or the other.

Edited by jehurey

Let's assume there are two models. Discless and one with a disc. 

A disc covers only half the user base assuming the discless one isn't the cheaper one, which of course it will be. So the % of digital XBoxes out there will be higher. 

No one is shoving a disc in your plastic game box. It's going to be a code to cover the larger XBox user base. 

The disc one doesn't even make sense in the presence of a cheaper discless model. 

Edited by Team 2019
28 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Here's why the rumor is possible.

If Microsoft is releasing a mid-level version of Xbox hardware at around $200-$300 that is discless, and a top-version Xbox hardware at $500-$600 that would have a disc-drive, that creates a problem.

We KNOW that the lower-cost Xbox would sell more units. That's not up for debate, that's exactly how its going to happen. 2 to 1 margin. Shit probably closer to 3 to 1.

WHY would Retailers devote shelf-space for Xbox game discs for only ONE version of Xbox hardware, and its not even the main version that people are buying?

WHY would Microsoft, and third-parties spend money in disc manufacturing and SHIPPING and distribution for game discs that are only going to be compatible with one version of Xbox hardware, and its going to be the smaller userbase?

I'm sure MS has already had their own analyst look into this. Either ALL versions of Xbox hardware will come with disc-drives, or ALL versions of Xbox hardware will come without disc-drives. They have to go all the way with one or the other.

You're assuming that the cheaper system would by nature not have an optical drive, why? Why would they not release paralel SKU's for each model at both price points? None of what you guys are saying makes any sense. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
10 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

You're assuming that the cheaper system would by nature not have an optical drive, why? Why would they not release paralel SKU's for each model at both price points? None of what you guys are saying makes any sense. 

In the grand scheme it's irrelevant. If a discless SKU exists by default it needs to be serviced by game codes instead of discs at retail, otherwise there is no incentive to stock it at all. This will affect all models, putting in doubt if there will even be any models with discs by default. 

2 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

In the grand scheme it's irrelevant. If a discless SKU exists by default it needs to be serviced by game codes instead of discs at retail, otherwise there is no incentive to stock it at all. This will affect all models, putting in doubt if there will even be any models with discs by default. 

No it doesn't, what are you even thinking? If you have a discless system that means you are 100% stringent on an internet connection for your games, they don't need to offer ANY kind of retail codes whatsoever as all game purchases can be handled via the Xbox store. That has no bearing on the physical market or physical media.

You're having a major brain fart.

49 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

No it doesn't, what are you even thinking? If you have a discless system that means you are 100% stringent on an internet connection for your games, they don't need to offer ANY kind of retail codes whatsoever as all game purchases can be handled via the Xbox store. That has no bearing on the physical market or physical media.

You're having a major brain fart.

The vast majority of profits comes from game sales, accessories etc. Not the actual console hardware for retailers. So no, MS will have to satisfy retailers for them to carry discless SKUs.