Sony officially gives PS5 details (Cerny himself)

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm hoping for lots of power to kill switch support completely 

I literally can't find aliasing in Far Cry 5 on Xbox One X, and it's razor sharp IQ. 8K wouldn't do anything. 

3 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Doesn't matter how you feel or think about it. 8K TVs are going to eventually replace 4K as the standard offering and despite you or others not moving on, technology will continue to move forward to sell those products. :shrug: Just like PS4 Pro and One X pushed forward to support 4K despite the adoption rate.

1080p TVs had been out for 10 years, once the pro dropped in 2016. 4k is just getting traction. in 5+ years, sure, but don't expect to see 8k for quite a while. 

Edited by -GD-
Just now, -GD- said:

1080p TVs had been out for 10 years, once the pro dropped in 2016. 4k is just getting traction. in 5+ years, sure. but don't expect to see 8k for quite a while. 

It's already here. :reg: https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/qled-8k-tvs/65-class-q900-qled-smart-8k-uhd-tv-2019-qn65q900rbfxza/

With even more support later this year and CES 2020 will be nothing but 8K TVs.

1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

It's already here. :reg: https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/qled-8k-tvs/65-class-q900-qled-smart-8k-uhd-tv-2019-qn65q900rbfxza/

4k was introduced in 2013 and many still use 1080p lol. your point? 

45 minutes ago, Nya` said:

These mid-gen systems were likely a one off fluke, this console generation came at a poor time correlating to television standard transition and how fast it came on. Can you imagine being in 2019 and playing on a base PS4 or Xbox One? There's not going to be a transition during the next console cycle, there's no reason for a mid-gen console to exist. 

I said this a long time ago.  The CPU cements it... as well as there being no "resolution" push worth happening next gen.

The ONLY thing I could see them doing is adding Ray Tracing cores (meaning new cores, or extra cores, if it does happen to have dedicated cores already and not use standard compute) to push enhanced RT effects in patched versions of next gen games.

I think that could be their "in" for that.

We'll see though.  Regardless... the baseline is about to be raised again :glad: 

Just now, -GD- said:

4k was introduced in 2013 and many still use 1080p lol. your point? 

The same point both you and Dynamite missed. Even if people don't move on, technology will. :reg: 

Just now, Remij_ said:

I said this a long time ago.  The CPU cements it... as well as there being no "resolution" push worth happening next gen.

The ONLY thing I could see them doing is adding Ray Tracing cores (meaning new cores, or extra cores, if it does happen to have dedicated cores already and not use standard compute) to push enhanced RT effects in patched versions of next gen games.

I think that could be their "in" for that.

We'll see though.  Regardless... the baseline is about to be raised again :glad: 

Like Jon said all I want to see is the Switch die so we're getting closer to that piece of shit not existing. 

6 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

The ONLY thing these consoles will be pushing 8K is video content.  It's good for them to support it though.

Just now, lynux3 said:

The same point both you and Dynamite missed. Even if people don't move on, technology will. :reg: 

of course. we will probably have 16k too. however, next gen will focus on 4k. 

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

The ONLY thing these consoles will be pushing 8K is video content.

I foresee 8K checkerboard rendering for lower end games.

Edited by lynux3
Just now, Remij_ said:

The ONLY thing these consoles will be pushing 8K is video content.  It's good for them to support it though.

exactly. these systems won't have the power to push native 8k graphics (unless it's 8k checkerboard - if they do a mid gen refresh). even then....

Just now, -GD- said:

of course. we will probably have 16k too. however, next gen will focus on 4k. 

Which is what I said earlier.

"If there is a mid-gen refresh it'll be to better support 8K resolutions."

10 minutes ago, Nya` said:

Like Jon said all I want to see is the Switch die so we're getting closer to that piece of shit not existing. 

Too bad you won't see that. LOL

I think its great news you're making this prediction, seeing how you are always wrong. Good times ahead for Nintendo.

Just now, jehurey said:

Too bad you won't see that. LOL

I think its great news you're making this prediction, seeing how you are always wrong. Good times ahead for Nintendo.

If ps5 is 12tf and has a good CPU we will most certainly see it :juggle:

6 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

I foresee 8K checkerboard rendering for lower end games.

It could, but we really are reaching diminishing returns with 8K at standard TV sizes.  Temporal AA really makes 8K less enticing to push for.

I can see video, and indie/low end games having 8K modes, sure.  It's good to 'support' the resolution for future-proofing anyway.  But I'm not sure either Sony or MS will really want to PUSH the 8K adoption in the forseeable future.  It's not going to be something feasible for most next gen games anyway.  It's much better to push ray tracing and actually improve visual quality instead of image quality.

4 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

It could, but we really are reaching diminishing returns with 8K at standard TV sizes.  Temporal AA really makes 8K less enticing to push for.

I can see video, and indie/low end games having 8K modes, sure.  It's good to 'support' the resolution for future-proofing anyway.  But I'm not sure either Sony or MS will really want to PUSH the 8K adoption in the forseeable future.  It's not going to be something feasible for most next gen games anyway.  It's much better to push ray tracing and actually improve visual quality instead of image quality.

I don't agree with the diminishing returns aspect, but it does makes more sense to work towards better visuals through ray-tracing which is exactly what's going to happen.

With Sony having an electronics/TV arm in their stable it'll be in their best interest to support their upcoming 8K products. With PS5 likely coming with HDMI 2.1 on-board it's just going to be something automatic that it'll be able to output at 8K and not necessarily outputting games natively at 8K. Again, though, checkboard-rendering is an option and one that Sony has likely investigated/tested throughout development. If not, and if there's a next generation mid-gen refresh, it'll be only to support 8K better (ala PS4 Pro).

I don't foresee 8K being available, comfortably, to the masses for another 3-4 years. So either 2023 or 2024 will be the years for a mid-gen refresh, if there is one.