Sony officially gives PS5 details (Cerny himself)

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm hoping for lots of power to kill switch support completely 

I literally can't find aliasing in Far Cry 5 on Xbox One X, and it's razor sharp IQ. 8K wouldn't do anything. 

14 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

If ps5 is 12tf and has a good CPU we will most certainly see it :juggle:

Nah. Not with Nintendo rocking nVidia GPUs that already deliver those today. I can imagine how lower the manufacturing costs will be around 2021.

The only people exiting the hardware business is Microsoft. Phil Spencer is currently asking his boss if they can bump the specs of the next Xbox and sell at a $100 loss, just like Sony.

........and he's currently being told No.:trump:

1 minute ago, -GD- said:

ya. i don't see 8k making much of a difference. 

I don't even think it's necessary because 4K HDR is just now hitting it's stride. :shrug: Regardless, that shit is happening.

Sounds like a beast and definitely also sounds like there is no way it's 399. Even 499 sounds like a great price for what it is. Lot of those mentioned features are just there to say it is 'supported' (notably 8K and ray tracing). SSD is huge and it is something that if MS wasn't going to have then they definitely have to now. 

Also very smart from Sony to front run the news prior to MS at E3, all while not even having their event yet. Front run the news and get ppl talking about PS5, then maybe hold the event shortly after E3 to have ppl talk about PS5 again after MS' reveal? 

2 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

I don't agree with the diminishing returns aspect, but it does makes more sense to work towards better visuals through ray-tracing which is exactly what's going to happen.

With Sony having an electronics/TV arm in their stable it'll be in their best interest to support their upcoming 8K products. With PS5 likely coming with HDMI 2.1 on-board it's just going to be something automatic that it'll be able to output at 8K and not necessarily outputting games natively at 8K. Again, though, checkboard-rendering is an option and one that Sony has likely investigated/tested throughout development. If not, and if there's a next generation mid-gen refresh, it'll be only to support 8K better (ala PS4 Pro).

I don't foresee 8K being available, comfortably, to the masses for another 3-4 years. So either 2023 or 2024 will be the years for a mid-gen refresh, if there is one.

Really dude, 4K with TAA provides an extremely temporally stable sharp image.  8K really is diminishing returns regarding video game content.

And I think you're slighting overestimating how powerful these consoles will be.  Everything else you said is fair.. but it's more 'support for future proof sake' rather than any real intention to push adoption of it.

We really need to just wait more to see what kind of power it actually has.

Just now, lynux3 said:

I don't even think it's necessary because 4K HDR is just now hitting it's stride. :shrug: Regardless, that shit is happening.

of course. hell,  i've had a 5k imac since 2015. 

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Nah. Not with Nintendo rocking nVidia GPUs that already deliver those today. I can imagine how lower the manufacturing costs will be around 2021.

The only people exiting the hardware business is Microsoft. Phil Spencer is currently asking his boss if they can bump the specs of the next Xbox and sell at a $100 loss, just like Sony.

........and he's currently being told No.:trump:

The biggest thing will be the CPU.  The types of things developers will want to create will simply not be feasible no matter how much you lower the resolution.

But of course Nintendo is not worried... they've dealt with this every generation since the Wii.  They really don't care, and will keep on keeping on.

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Really dude, 4K with TAA provides an extremely temporally stable sharp image.  8K really is diminishing returns regarding video game content.

And I think you're slighting overestimating how powerful these consoles will be.  Everything else you said is fair.. but it's more 'support for future proof sake' rather than any real intention to push adoption of it.

We really need to just wait more to see what kind of power it actually has.

No amount of TAA is going to make up the 4x difference in pixel count. That's not to say it doesn't look good, you just can't physically reproduce the visual fidelity of a screen at 8K vs. 4K.

I don't think I'm overestimating anything. I never said these consoles were going to have 8K games, but I am suggesting that PS5 will be able to output at 8K and potentially checkboard render lower end games at 8K. That's about it.

6 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Stadia shown. XCloud shown. And Sony focuses on PS5. PSnow will be like a 3 minute video at best.

Proud of lord Sony. :glad:

Sony needs to fuckin' start supporting higher resolutions on PlayStation Now because 720p isn't going to cut it for much longer. I'm interested to see what Cerny will have to say about PlayStation Now come closer to launch.

3 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Sony needs to fuckin' start supporting higher resolutions on PlayStation Now because 720p isn't going to cut it for much longer. I'm interested to see what Cerny will have to say about PlayStation Now come closer to launch.

They need to get off base PS3 hardware for streaming

Hopefully they are smart enough to be getting a full scale BC solution going now that hardware is better

3 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

It exists. That's all they'll say. They won't be building PS5 server farms anytime soon after launch anyways. So PS5 it is.

2 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

No amount of TAA is going to make up the 4x difference in pixel count. That's not to say it doesn't look good, you just can't physically reproduce the visual fidelity of a screen at 8K vs. 4K.

I don't think I'm overestimating anything. I never said these consoles were going to have 8K games, but I am suggesting that PS5 will be able to output at 8K and potentially checkboard render lower end games at 8K. That's about it.

Yes.. it absolutely does.. it creates a temporally stable image.  At typical TV sizes, you're NOT going to notice an appreciable visual difference at 8K from 4K.  Trust me on that shit man.

When you talk about checkerboard 8K.. then you're completely negating the reason for choosing to render at 8K to begin with.  You have to look at the resolution... and the perceptible resolution in motion...  it's simply NOT appreciable over native 4K.  It's not. 

8K support.. is great... but it's nothing that they are going to push.  It's standard because the console will support HDMI 2.1... the console is capable of outputting 8K.  They have no real intention of supporting it with games.  So let's not even argue about this shit.

1 minute ago, Voidler said:

They need to get off base PS3 hardware for streaming

Hopefully they are smart enough to be getting a full scale BC solution going now that hardware is better

I don't think they can to be honest, otherwise they'd lose their PS3 library unless they have some kind of backwards compatibility coming to newer generation PlayStation Now hardware. PlayStation Now runs on both PS3 and base PS4 hardware, but native 1080p PS4 games are downscaled to 720p right now.

Just now, Team 2019 said:

It exists. That's all they'll say. They won't be building PS5 server farms anytime soon after launch anyways. So PS5 it is.

Most likely, but they will have to refresh their PS Now servers at some point.

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

Yes.. it absolutely does.. it creates a temporally stable image.  At typical TV sizes, you're NOT going to notice an appreciable visual difference at 8K from 4K.  Trust me on that shit man.

When you talk about checkerboard 8K.. then you're completely negating the reason for choosing to render at 8K to begin with.  You have to look at the resolution... and the perceptible resolution in motion...  it's simply NOT appreciable over native 4K.  It's not. 

8K support.. is great... but it's nothing that they are going to push.  It's standard because the console will support HDMI 2.1... the console is capable of outputting 8K.  They have no real intention of supporting it with games.  So let's not even argue about this shit.

You can't physically reproduce 24,883,200 additional pixels with TAA. :facep: 

Edited by lynux3
Just now, lynux3 said:

I don't think they can to be honest, otherwise they'd lose their PS3 library unless they have some kind of backwards compatibility coming to newer generation PlayStation Now hardware. PlayStation Now runs on both PS3 and base PS4 hardware, but native 1080p PS4 games are downscaled to 720p right now.

Most likely, but they will have to refresh their PS Now servers at some point.

It’s probably just that they have a one size fits all approach

Hopefully they are planning some big improvements but they won’t be able to get those PS3 games above 720p if they don’t use upgraded hardware with BC