Sony officially gives PS5 details (Cerny himself)

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

It's a ridiculous amount of pixels.  The memory requirements will shoot through the roof with next gen games.

With 2x Titan RTX cards, people are playing games at 8K 60fps.  Of course, the experience isn't perfect either, because the memory bandwidth isn't there.  But 2 Titan RTX cards is like 32TFlops of FP32 power lmao..  Comparing AMD flops to Nvidia flops (jury is still out on Navi) that would be over 40TFlops of compute...  I doubt were going to get that the gen after next.. lol.

(and that's based on CURRENT gen games like Sekiro and RE2)  When we actually look at next gen games pushing graphical barriers... it pushes that out even farther.   Barring some huge advancement in tech.. it's far far away.  And by that time.. people will likely be happy with streaming and the convenience of it.

In case no one is aware, that's $5,000 worth of GPU's to push that. 

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm hoping for lots of power to kill switch support completely 

I literally can't find aliasing in Far Cry 5 on Xbox One X, and it's razor sharp IQ. 8K wouldn't do anything. 

I love the instant loading idea. It’s provably the best thing about Switch is how fast games boot

God of War 2 will hugely benefit from it. They wanted to have it so you could instantly warp between worlds like Guacamalee but couldn’t achieve it. Would be cool if they could actually implement it in the next game

10 minutes ago, Nya` said:

In case no one is aware, that's $5,000 worth of GPU's to push that. 

Yea exactly.  The ram requirements are insane for 8K.  Even basic scenes can tank fps.

RE2 remake 8K with 2x Titan RTX:

46709787685_5ff8263501_o.png

33fps looking at this lock..

But this picture actually is a great representation of what I mean by "better asset detail across the scene" rather than pushing a higher base resolution with the same "low/high quality assets".

Look at the lock.. there's tiny micro detail, little nicks and scratches..  That looks great and you can see good detail... but the rest of the textures?  lmao.. not pretty at that close.  Imagine the detail of that lock, except across the whole scene.  That's what's more important.  That requires lots of ram.. and is a much better use case.. Remaining at 4K, will allow that detail to remain visible, while having more assets with that quality level.  This scene will look the EXACT same at 4K or 8K.  No fucking appreciable difference what-so-ever.

That's my basic hope for next gen.. is to start doing away with these low resolution assets mixed with super high detailed assets to really improve the visual quality across the board.  Resolution is sufficient atm.

8K would be a massive nightmare for the CGI industry that is barely scrapping by in the movie industry.

Nobody who makes TV shows, Film, and Video Games is interested in 8K.

It must be the screen manufacturing industry. Smartphones have resulted in LCD screens that far exceed the PPI used in televisions. So they're trying to push up the PPI specs on televisions because they are ALREADY manufacturing it at higher specs.

A 55" television that is 4K has a PPI of 80.11.

Samsung Phones have a PPI of 438.

I'm going to take a guess and say its LCD manufacturers trying to push 8K onto people.

1 minute ago, Voidler said:

I love the instant loading idea. It’s provably the best thing about Switch is how fast games boot

God of War 2 will hugely benefit from it. They wanted to have it so you could instantly warp between worlds like Guacamalee but couldn’t achieve it. Would be cool if they could actually implement it in the next game

It's impressive to say the absolute least. Instant loading is insane. I have to assume PS5 will have PCIe 4.0 on board or something similar seeing that Cerny states nothing else is comparable right now, not even on PC; so that means it's faster than NVMe. :whew: 

8 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Yea exactly.  The ram requirements are insane for 8K.  Even basic scenes can tank fps.

RE2 remake 8K with 2x Titan RTX:

46709787685_5ff8263501_o.png

33fps looking at this lock..

But this picture actually is a great representation of what I mean by "better asset detail across the scene" rather than pushing a higher base resolution with the same "low/high quality assets".

Look at the lock.. there's tiny micro detail, little nicks and scratches..  That looks great and you can see good detail... but the rest of the textures?  lmao.. not pretty at that close.  Imagine the detail of that lock, except across the whole scene.  That's what's more important.  That requires lots of ram.. and is a much better use case.. Remaining at 4K, will allow that detail to remain visible, while having more assets with that quality level.  This scene will look the EXACT same at 4K or 8K.  No fucking appreciable difference what-so-ever.

That's my basic hope for next gen.. is to start doing away with these low resolution assets mixed with super high detailed assets to really improve the visual quality across the board.  Resolution is sufficient atm.

Resolution arms race has been a blight for awhile. It pretty much negated the graphical progression that Pro and X could have brought if they stayed at the same resolution as the base consoles

3 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

It's impressive to say the absolute least. Instant loading is insane. I have to assume PS5 will have PCIe 4.0 on board or something similar seeing that Cerny states nothing else is comparable right now, not even on PC; so that means it's faster than NVMe. :whew: 

Yea... it sounds good.  Let's see if it is as instant as they claim 

4 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

I'm wondering if he's meaning Sata and SSDs specifically.  I'd be really impressed if they managed to surpass the speed of NVMe on their console drive lol.

1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

Yea... it sounds good.  Let's see if it is as instant as they claim 

It wont be... not for ACTUAL next gen games..

I think it was more of a point about how it could help BC games?

Regardless.. it's great that they realize the importance of super fast storage.

4 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

It wont be... not for ACTUAL next gen games..

I think it was more of a point about how it could help BC games?

Regardless.. it's great that they realize the importance of super fast storage.

Why would actual next gen games be different?

I think the point was more that the barrier is gone. But if your game is still badly optimised you won’t be getting the best load times 

We will also have to deal with less load hiding like slow opening doors and such

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I'm wondering if he's meaning Sata and SSDs specifically.  I'd be really impressed if they managed to surpass the speed of NVMe on their console drive lol.

Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs

Straight from the man himself. :shrug: I even called bullshit on the next Xbox using NVMe and Cerny just proved me wrong. :drake: 

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

So it seems like it will indeed be hardware accelerated RT support :juggle: 

This is what a lighting artist at Naughty Dog posted today

Aww yea :smoke: 

:whew: 

Quite a few people thought Navi wouldn't have hardware RT support.

8 minutes ago, Voidler said:

Why would actual next gen games be different?

I think the point was more that the barrier is gone. But if your game is still badly optimised you won’t be getting the best load times 

We will also have to deal with less load hiding like slow opening doors and such

Presumably asset sizes will increase as well, meaning more assets at higher quality will take time and need to be swapped all the same.  Current gen games wont be shit compared to them.

Also, I'd like to just point out that the increase in RAM is likely what's playing a bigger part here.  Notice how they demonstrated teleporting... already inside the game world.  Meaning they've likely already background loaded data from the entire game world into the PS5's pool of memory, which can be instantly accessed.  It's basically the same thing as a RAM drive, and kind of what MS was attempting to do with the X1X to improve loading.

They may have some neat implementation or bus that allows them to do all this extremely fast in the background.. but I believe that they are utilizing the AMOUNT of RAM to improve this example.. rather than super fast loading off the storage itself.