1 minute ago, JONBpc said:

Every pc game is taking advantage .

Xbox beats up ps5 in almost all areas . Get over it .

No, not really.

Seems like you couldn't list any actual ones in which they need cuting edge CPUs.

Hell, I have a CPU from around 2016, and games aren't being restricted from that.

And there's no point in pretending that you want to play RTS games with 30,000 characters on screen running a battle simulation on your Xbox.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But devs only need this much [----------------------------]   And Sony is giving them this much [--------------------------------------------------------------]   What are they goi

Honestly as soon as Sony shows Silent Hill and Demon's Souls all this shit doesn't matter.

I'm sure you did... On PlayStation.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

No, not really.

Seems like you couldn't list any actual ones in which they need cuting edge CPUs.

Hell, I have a CPU from around 2016, and games aren't being restricted from that.

And there's no point in pretending that you want to play RTS games with 30,000 characters on screen running a battle simulation on your Xbox.

Who cares?  They're about to start getting thrashed real soon. :reg: 

11 minutes ago, jehurey said:

No, not really.

They are if you are trying to play at more than 60fps. But then again your GPU wouldnt handle that anyway .

Your cpu from 2016 is most likely better than the cpu in consoles . That wont be the case next gen .

10 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Who cares?  They're about to start getting thrashed real soon. :reg: 

It's funny , he repeats a million times over how pcs have more npcs because of better cpu but now , a cpu , gpu , and rt advantage mean nothing.  What a dumb fuck lol

Just now, JONBpc said:

It's funny , he repeats a million times over how pcs have more npcs because of better cpu but now , a cpu , gpu , and rt advantage mean nothing.  What a dumb fuck lol

lol well, in his defense, he IS talking about the delta between them.. and not that having a powerful CPU isn't important.

But still, I think it will be a bit better than the numbers imply.  Sony's "GPU and CPU modes" are throwing a wrench in and solid figures.  We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Regardless... BOTH will have ample CPU power. B) 

56 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Maybe a question we should start asking is exactly WHY MS opted to go with the SSD they did instead of something faster..

As I've said before... THOSE ARE SEQUENTIAL READ numbers.... NOT Random Reads...  In actual practice, both drives could be VERY SIMILAR performance-wise.

MS may have a theoretically slower drive... but PERHAPS they don't need to have that bandwidth to store the same amount of data in a similar amount of time????

xboxxxx.png

MS's new I/O architecture may just have capabilities that Sony's doesn't...

:ben:

6 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

They are if you are trying to play at more than 60fps. But then again your GPU wouldnt handle that anyway .

Your cpu from 2016 is most likely better than the cpu in consoles . That wont be the case next gen .

But the consoles won't try to play at more than 60fps.

PC games do have more NPCs, and probably more moving foilage, etc.

But I bet they're still not maxing out CPUs from 2014-2015.  because multiplats were designing it on the lowest common denominator.

I expect that to be the same for this next gen. And, alot of physics is being moved over to the GPU as of recent.

Just now, lynux3 said:

I think we already know the compression ratio for BCPack. It's still not close. 

No we don't... which is why people much more knowledgeable than us are asking questions inquiring about it.

6 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

No we don't... which is why people much more knowledgeable than us are asking questions inquiring about it.

2.4GB/s and 4.8GB/s compressed. 2:1 is the ratio. BCPack+ZLIB is better than KRAKEN, but you can't beat hardware that's physically better.

Edited by lynux3
5 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

2.4GB/s and 4.8/s compressed. 2:1 is the ratio. BCPack+ZLIB is better than KRAKEN, but you can't beat hardware that's physically better.

^that's Zlib alone, isn't it?  With BCPack it's more like 6GB/s.  I'm not saying that alone is going to beat Sony's raw advantage.  The actual throughput when compressed could be higher, but if MS requires less data to be sent through (not referring to compressed data... but rather the GPU actually requiring less data for textures), it could exponentially improve that number.

Edited by Remij_
2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

^that's Zlib alone, isn't it?  With BCPack it's more like 6GB/s.  I'm not saying that alone is going to beat Sony's raw advantage.  The actual throughput when compressed could be higher, but if MS requires less data to be sent through (not referring to compressed data... but rather the GPU actually requiring less data for textures), it could exponentially improve that number.

I don't think so because Kraken compresses better than ZLIB from my understanding. 

3 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

I don't think so because Kraken compresses better than ZLIB from my understanding. 

Only about 10% as per Cerny, right?

I think there's not enough information out there about BCPack to honestly judge.  Most game data is textures.. if BCPack is better than Kraken, and with Sampler Feedback streaming, it IS possible that MS' implementation could punch above its weight.

Not enough to completely offset the PS5's advantage... but mitigate some of it.

5 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Only about 10% as per Cerny, right?

I think there's not enough information out there about BCPack to honestly judge.  Most game data is textures.. if BCPack is better than Kraken, and with Sampler Feedback streaming, it IS possible that MS' implementation could punch above its weight.

Not enough to completely offset the PS5's advantage... but mitigate some of it.

Yeah, I don't know. We'll see what they say about it. I don't know shit about compression algorithms or the hardware.

If it's any better then I suspect Microsoft wouldn't have released SSDs speeds, but I don't mind surprises. 

41 minutes ago, jehurey said:

But the consoles won't try to play at more than 60fps.

PC games do have more NPCs, and probably more moving foilage, etc.

But I bet they're still not maxing out CPUs from 2014-2015.  because multiplats were designing it on the lowest common denominator.

I expect that to be the same for this next gen. And, alot of physics is being moved over to the GPU as of recent.

Yes they will , they said they are making gears 5 mp 120fps . There will probably be a lot of lighter games running at 120.

I've played quite a few games that push my cpu to higher than 50 percent usage at 60fps. Current gen console based games .

Doesnt matter anyway , MS wins in almost every category.  Get over it .

3 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

Yes they will , they said they are making gears 5 mp 120fps . There will probably be a lot of lighter games running at 120.

I've played quite a few games that push my cpu to higher than 50 percent usage at 60fps. Current gen console based games .

Doesnt matter anyway , MS wins in almost every category.  Get over it .

LOL, and their making 8K games as well.

Sure.

Sorry, the PS5 has a feature that will catch people's attention. Microsoft allowed themselves to get BLOWN OUT in one area of design.

Sony didn't.

Lmao . This is gonna be like your xbox x wont do 4k lol

Cows , and cow lickers are so predictable. 

None of the other specs matter , only the ssd. Who saw this coming ? Lol 

5 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

Lmao . This is gonna be like your xbox x wont do 4k lol

Cows , and cow lickers are so predictable. 

None of the other specs matter , only the ssd. Who saw this coming ? Lol 

LOL............this is going to be like Xbox One X against the playstation.

Thanks for bringing it up that specific hardware.

We just saw, first hand............how the "slightly higher" console specs, in fact, did not matter......and lost the console war badl