Alright what’s the best way to learn Dota

I know we got some dota people here. I have a basic understanding, I know the general objectives, general concepts like laning , jungling, last hit, deny, that sort of stuff. What’s a good place to start? What are some characters to play around with?

i need a meaty multiplayer game. 

don't listen to the suggestions so far, they were all shit. Now, you have to play Unranked for a long time to understand the game.

1. Play whatever you like and looks interesting to you. It doesn't matter what you play cause you are basically in the noob tier when you start playing. (don't be afraid, there are smurf faggots that make new acc and know how the game works). After a few matches the game will match you with noobs.

2. I would recommend a straightforward carry to learn the game but since you said you are familiar with MOBA it doesn't matter.

3. Stick to 2-5 heroes at first. Preferably Carries meaning they are Heroes that are capable of carrying the team, aka damage dealers etc. UNTIL you learn the basic game concept/map layout. 

4. After some time when you get the hang of the basics. I think around 100 hours played, you should start randoming Heroes every game, no matter what. For at least 1k games, that's literally the best way to learn dota. 

5.  you want to keep playing until reaching 1k hours played. then you will understand most of the heroes abilities and items.

(For example, I always thought Huskar(Hero) with Satanic(Item) was extremely op and unfair because he combines high atk speed at low health with lifesteal until I realized that's just how the game works and you can counter it.

There is no secret to "learn" dota, play the game, play random heroes like I said even if you suck at them at first. you have to get a general idea about what heroes and item combinations can do. 

Also you will learn about other mechanics like lh, denying, faking, rushing, initations, retreating, commiting to fights and running from them etc.

The option and keybindings are very important, there is an action to "stop an action" for example. Go through the options and make sure you have at least "center on hero" binded. everything else comes through playing the game.

JUST PLAY THE GAME

• Like 1
Just now, Teh_Diplomat said:

1K hours, how long you predicting we stay indoors Kaz? :ben:

I'm sorry bruh, if you don't like Dota that's fine. but this game is more than a game, it's a way of life. And I'm always happy when people choose to commit to reach a higher level of consciousnesses.:ben:

People think Dota is basically witchcraft, like people hate on mathematics. well, guess what? It's not. It just happens to be the most complex and rewarding multiplayer game in existence. :lawd:

• Ben 1
1 hour ago, Casual said:

lol this aint about halo

appreciate the input guys. im sure ill join cooke in the 2100 MMR club soon!

Hah I'm like 4200 I think. Legend III

3 hours ago, Casual said:

lol this aint about halo

appreciate the input guys. im sure ill join cooke in the 2100 MMR club soon!

I have 2000 hours in dota 2. That community is about as cancerous as a community can get. Enjoy 

yeah, I should mention there are lots of cancer people in this game, it's 1vs9 sometimes. :D  

make use of the ignore button: voice and text mute are separate. you can't hear someones pinging on the map when you muted them in text. Pinging is for alerting.

when you play random heroes like I suggested(just do it, best way to learn) follow the basic item guides and or the highest rated user ones. later, when you understand the game you will get items accordingly to counter etc.

for example there are heroes that need a specific item. Like initiators need a Blink Dagger. Look it up, also Force Staff, they are movement items and extremely popular, you will see.

magic wand is the most cost efficient item for regen, look it up.

and for the love of god when you play anything that needs lh and is melee, buy a QUELLING BLADE. ALWAYS. I see idiots missing lh even in higher tiers cause they just skip it. makes me so angry when I babysit them.

Actually if you are interested in the game you will naturally keep playing. And I highly recommend it, the learning curve is steep and people don't want to spent so much time "learning" but tbh I would do it all again, it's amazing to learn this game. And once you understand it, you will have a blast and can go without playing for months and just come back, it's like riding a bicycle.