Looking back, it's crazy how fast we use to get games.

It's amazing just much faster games were made a few gens ago, with arguably better results than many nowadays. 

For eg,

Final Fantasy VII: 1997

Final Fantasy VIII: 1999

Final Fantasy IX: 2000

Final Fantasy X: 2001 (Even with this being the first on a new gen)

Even huge games like GTA:

GTA3: 2001

GTA Vice City: 2002

GTA San Andreas: 2004

Naughty Dog use to nearly pump out a game every year on psone

Crash: 1996

Crash 2: 1997

Crash 3: 1998

CTR: 1999

Then even when they went cinematic approach on PS3 they still did it every 2 years:

UC: 2007

UC2: 2009

UC3: 2011

Last of US: 2013

This goes for nearly every franchise. Now we are lucky to get 1 Mainline FF game a gen and are going to go a whole gen without a new GTA game. Honestly don't know if such high fidelty graphics is really worth the production cycle of games becoming 3-5 years. 

True, but I'm okay with this because games are better than they've ever been imo. Well, at least Japanese games are. Not the Hest :hest:

Luckily the two best (Capcom and From Software) are able to put out high quality games pretty frequently :aitch:

On 2020-05-04 at 12:17 PM, madmaltese said:

It's amazing just much faster games were made a few gens ago, with arguably better results than many nowadays. 

For eg,

Final Fantasy VII: 1997

Final Fantasy VIII: 1999

Final Fantasy IX: 2000

Final Fantasy X: 2001 (Even with this being the first on a new gen)

Even huge games like GTA:

GTA3: 2001

GTA Vice City: 2002

GTA San Andreas: 2004

Naughty Dog use to nearly pump out a game every year on psone

Crash: 1996

Crash 2: 1997

Crash 3: 1998

CTR: 1999

Then even when they went cinematic approach on PS3 they still did it every 2 years:

UC: 2007

UC2: 2009

UC3: 2011

Last of US: 2013

This goes for nearly every franchise. Now we are lucky to get 1 Mainline FF game a gen and are going to go a whole gen without a new GTA game. Honestly don't know if such high fidelty graphics is really worth the production cycle of games becoming 3-5 years. 

interesting point.  :-*

I don't mind the wait for some of fthese awesome ass games.  I'm spu spu spoiled. On your list, othe only 2 games I gave a fank about was vice city coming out early.  and san andread soon after.  okay nvm all those final fantasies is great too.  Still, I ain't going back.  3-4 years is okay.  at 30+ I don't play dozens of games a year anyways. There are so many successful series out I can juggle a bunch.  I mean, FF13-15 seemed to give me a handful of final fantasy games I never felt droughted out. 

1 hour ago, Bodycount VII said:

frivolous shit like open-world fetch quest design and bloated unnecessary visuals are at fault for this.

the other day, I was thinking how pointless the purge for open world only has become. metro exodus' review of small deliberate sandbox enviornments reminded me how the twank of red dead 2 tho nice, is still flimsly gameplay. 

larger, more detailed worlds; more dialog options; better graphics....

it can's say i'm surprised by the longer dev time. shit, look at the gap between gta 4 and gta 5. 

9 minutes ago, -GD- said:

larger, more detailed worlds; more dialog options; better graphics....

it can's say i'm surprised by the longer dev time. shit, look at the gap between gta 4 and gta 5. 

It's been nearly 7 years since GTAV originally came out. :|

1 minute ago, Ike said:

It's been nearly 7 years since GTAV originally came out. :|

yup. they've been milking the dlc. i'm sure 6 is in the works now, though. but the gap between 4 and 5 was like 6 years. 

2 hours ago, Bodycount VII said:

frivolous shit like open-world fetch quest design and bloated unnecessary visuals are at fault for this.

:kaz: :kaz: :kaz:  says the guy who switched from xbox to ninty and now to sony for the FF7: Remake all the graphics and add side quests. :kaz: 

Just now, kaz said:

:kaz: :kaz: :kaz:  says the guy who switched from xbox to ninty and now to sony for the FF7: Remake all the graphics and add side quests. :kaz: 

FF7 is pretty linear tbh and beyond the insane visuals, the game looks so good because of the art style.

Absolutely best in industry gameplay is what makes FF7R the best game of the gen, not visuals.

1 minute ago, Bodycount VII said:

FF7 is pretty linear tbh and beyond the insane visuals, the game looks so good because of the art style.

Absolutely best in industry gameplay is what makes FF7R the best game of the gen, not visuals.

I didn't say anything about open world but the same mundane side quests apply also it's bloated with unnecessary visuals like you mentioned. you don't even see the self ownage, go back to ninty uuh or xbox. :kaz: 

1 hour ago, Bodycount VII said:

that's a spoiler btw. 

Yeah, especially Square, youd get masterpieces every 6 months. One of the best portfolio ever.

FF7 - 1997

FF Tactics - 1997

Xenogears - 1998

Parasite Eve - 1998

FF8 - 1999

Front Mission 3 - 1999

Chrono Cross - 1999

Parasite Eve 2 - 1999

Vagrant Story - 2000

FF9 - 2000

And Im just posting the high profile games, plenty of nicher titles in between.

Jesus fucking christ. Best time for gaming ever.

3 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Yeah, especially Square, youd get masterpieces every 6 months. One of the best portfolio ever.

FF7 - 1997

FF Tactics - 1997

Xenogears - 1998

Parasite Eve - 1998

FF8 - 1999

Front Mission 3 - 1999

Chrono Cross - 1999

Parasite Eve 2 - 1999

Vagrant Story - 2000

FF9 - 2000

And Im just posting the high profile games, plenty of nicher titles in between.

Jesus fucking christ. Best time for gaming ever.

parasite eve was so good. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, kokujin said:

that's a spoiler btw. 

Thats far from a spoiler. The midgar portion of the original game was also linear, and the way  bodycount phrased that with 'pretty' makes it open to interpretation.

Regardless, its not a story related detail so just based on that it doesn't classify as a spoiler.

2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Thats far from a spoiler. The midgar portion of the original game was also linear, and the way  bodycount phrased that with 'pretty' makes it open to interpretation.

Regardless, its not a story related detail so just based on that it doesn't classify as a spoiler.

it's far from a spoiler yes. i'm not reading the rest. some of us who havent played the original,

don't know if it opens up and some of us are hoping it to. and tbh I'm being a fool by even being in this thread, and i'm still holding out that it does. and by bodycounts Impressions, I get a pretty full idea of where the game goes and doesn't. seriously, y'all do realize a "spoiler" is anything that can clue in on the experience? Knowing it scored a 10/10 was bad for my emotions, but that was good enough.  Knowing when the game ends sucks. knowing how long the game is sucks. knowing ANYTHING FUCKING SUCKS. SCREW YOU BOZOZ. See you in another month. 

1 hour ago, kokujin said:

it's far from a spoiler yes. i'm not reading the rest. some of us who havent played the original,

don't know if it opens up and some of us are hoping it to. and tbh I'm being a fool by even being in this thread, and i'm still holding out that it does. and by bodycounts Impressions, I get a pretty full idea of where the game goes and doesn't. seriously, y'all do realize a "spoiler" is anything that can clue in on the experience? Knowing it scored a 10/10 was bad for my emotions, but that was good enough.  Knowing when the game ends sucks. knowing how long the game is sucks. knowing ANYTHING FUCKING SUCKS. SCREW YOU BOZOZ. See you in another month. 

:|

If the general structure of the game is a spoiler to you then you probably shouldn't even be posting on a gaming forum where that type of thing comes up ALL the time in a discussions related to games. By your logic, every time a game is announced and the developers confirm its open world or linear in the press release, then they're basically spoiling the game for everyone....think about how silly that sounds.

8 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

:|

If the general structure of the game is a spoiler to you then you probably shouldn't even be posting on a gaming forum where that type of thing comes up ALL the time in a discussions related to games. By your logic, every time a game is announced and the developers confirm its open world or linear in the press release, then they're basically spoiling the game for everyone....think about how silly that sounds.

here's the thing about FF7.  and Im going to put it in spoiler tags. Then I'm going to leave the forum again for a month because you bozoz can't understand the yatch and hype around this game.

*general structure and experience spoiler, ff7 remake spoiler (and i'm not done with the game fyi for those with a heart.

Fans are hoping and praying just disc 1 isn't short. Fans are also hoping and praying it's not liner as fuck and has some open and sprawling enironments.  I'm sorry but spoiling either of those things is a request and something a game herald like this deserves. 

I know I'm being picky. A game like this comes out once every 10 years. This is my first time even posting since it came out about it.  Square never confirmed or denied how linear ff7 remake is going to be, is or is not, nor have they confirmed how long it is and how far it goes.  All they said was they've put enough content in it that you won't be disappointed.

seeerioisly let people enjoy that.  I currently am.  I'll post my impressions in another month. I know there's gonna be one asshole that wants to ruin my sensitivities just following this discussion.

And I agree with you, btw. That's why I stayed out of the official thread. And i'm in this discssuion like I'm doing crack. I know I'm playing with fire. Just harping to let y'all know it would be great when something like this comes out we are aware there are some real diehard fans to the experience.

Edited by kokujin