Anyone else forgetting what “normal life” felt like?

12 minutes ago, kaz said:

i'm enjoying it. never spent so much time gaming or reading since i was a kid.

That's spot on. I haven't enjoyed games as much as I do now... Been playing alot of Apex/CoD and completing games on steam and PS4...

3 hours ago, kaz said:

i'm enjoying it. never spent so much time gaming or reading since i was a kid.

Yep. Usually I'm so indecisive and overwhelmed by the amount of games I could be playing in my limited time...I get to the point where I spend more time deciding what to play than actually playing.

Now I'm just playing fuckin everything though...juggling like 6 games at a time and progressing in all of them. 

I'm still at work and don't really go out much anyways. So having a reason to not fulfill social obligations is nice for an introvert like myself. I only really missed hiking and being out in nature and those just reopened this week, so honestly not much changed for me. :shrug:

It's gonna suck when this is over though. I've gotten so used to WFH and there's been zero issues so it's going to be even harder to swallow the fact that I have to waste time in my day commuting and sitting in an office jsut because some old people want butts in seats and can't use computers. 

I'm bored out of my mind. Catching up on my gaming backlog and just more gaming time in general was nice... For like the first two weeks. Now I just really want to get back to work just so I can do something productive. Being in a house all day got old real quick.

Edited by Sabo
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, Casual said:

It's gonna suck when this is over though. I've gotten so used to WFH and there's been zero issues so it's going to be even harder to swallow the fact that I have to waste time in my day commuting and sitting in an office jsut because some old people want butts in seats and can't use computers. 

You guys really should lobby to do WFH, there's no reason if operations are still running smoothly right now, that you can't do it. The roads for us who still have to commute have been a dream.

Just now, Ike said:

You guys really should lobby to do WFH, there's no reason if operations are still running smoothly right now, that you can't do it. The roads for us who still have to commute have been a dream.

I'm WFH too. Only thing that sucks is being STUCK at home. But it would be nice to take WFH for a spin where I can be like "cool I'm done" and go out and enjoy the day away from home...

56 minutes ago, Ike said:

For sure. I work from home one day a week right now but would ideally like to do 2-3 days from home and 2-3 in the office, depending on the week. Even the one day was something I was only eligible and approved for because I have a strong track record of performance reviews. 

It's an uphill battle for a lot of reasons...government ie. tax dollars involved so people like to know that they're getting their 8 hours a day worth and they seem to think WFH means you must not be working. Truthfully they're not wrong, I definitely have tons of downtime...thing is I have plenty of downtime in the office too, I just have to fill my time with browsing the internet instead of being able to do somewhat more productive things. My actual output is the exact same, the only reason I have more downtime at home is because I have more motivation to get my work done cause there's actually better ways I can be spending my time. 

Another factor is that while I may be able to do my job remotely without any issues, there's other people in the company (usually management) who are just awful with technology/need everything explained to them face to face. Public sector = excessive unnecessary meetings too which is a bad recipe when half the people can't figure out how to mute a fucking microphone.

I also happen to be only 15-20 minutes subway/walk to work so it's hard for me to build a case around anything other than it being out of sheer convenience lol. 

The obvious solution would be to move to private sector which is a consideration for sure. The nice thing about where I am now though is that my hours are my hours...930-5 is consistent and there's very rarely a need to go outside of those. Not to mention seniority (which is really just 6 weeks vacation + a nice build up of severance that would deter them from cutting me if there were cuts to be made/keep me comfortable if it did happen). There's probably a little extra money to be had too but after I factor in benefits/pension I dunno if it's really much of a factor. 

I do hope this whole thing prompts some change though. The difference around here is so noticeable...usually I hate driving around Toronto but the times I've had to do it during this quarantine have been great. Not to mention the air quality is noticeably better. Housing prices are also ridiculous anywhere near the city so WFH on a mass scale would likely help that a ton. 

Edited by Casual
  • Upvote 1

I kind of enjoy it . I've been smoking weed every day,  sleeping good , eating good , seeing only the people in my life that are actually important,  less idiots out and about, hardly no traffic so I've been taking nice cruises down the highway , etc.

I'm actually gonna miss some of this stuff 

1 minute ago, JONBpc said:

I kind of enjoy it . I've been smoking weed every day,  sleeping good , eating good , seeing only the people in my life that are actually important,  less idiots out and about, hardly no traffic so I've been taking nice cruises down the highway , etc.

I'm actually gonna miss some of this stuff 

Yeah my diet and sleep have been mostly fantastic throughout all this.

I'm drinking a bit more out of boredom but that's about it. 

i've actually been doing more work than i was before (landed a bunch of easy freelance gigs, since companies rather pay me per project than keep employees on standby). 

however, i miss going to lounges/bars with my friends/girls and i miss my nieces (can't see them, since my sister has a compromised immune system). 

financially, it's been amazing, but i miss my family and friends (facetime/zoom is fine and all, but it's not the same). i do like the free time to juggle freelance work and tv/gaming, though.