Why are all the games we buy reliant on a constant Internet connection.

My ISP experiences a service outage and I am unable to run any game because the store the games run from are offline and they validate the game is paid.  

How did we let game developers get this much control over games we buy.  

I thought at first this would be limited to just the free games, but even games I bought won't run when the PC is offline.  This is nuts.

Who cares?  Computers are fucking useless without the internet anyway. 

And come on... there's a lot of games you can still play with no connection on PC.

Edited by Remij_
7 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

Steam happened.

You're way off. Im rarely on Steam's side nowadays but they've had an offline mode for as long as I can remember, and most of the games on it can be played offline.

It was greedy publishers like EA and Ubisoft who started this trend.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

You're way off. Im rarely on Steam's side nowadays but they've had an offline mode for as long as I can remember, and most of the games on it can be played offline.

It was greedy publishers like EA and Ubisoft who started this trend.

Ok even If I am wrong, Sony is responsible too.

We gave MS so much shit and then we see Sony doing worse.

10 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

And come on... there's a lot of games you can still play with no connection on PC.

You don't care?   Maybe you misunderstood my post.  Why are so many games reliant on internet access when they don't need to be.

I have a lot of games on Epic store and they don't work including Control.  

12 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I dont care, but it's also bullshit to say "who cares". At some point game makers presented a barrel to bend over and gamers dropped their pants an assumed the position. 

2 minutes ago, The Mother Fucker said:

You don't care?   Maybe you misunderstood my post.  Why are so many games reliant on internet access when they don't need to be.

I have a lot of games on Epic store and they don't work including Control.  

That's not really the games' being reliant.  That's the stores DRM coming into play.  Yes, EGS has issues when offline.  No argument from me there....

but as if to say there's nothing you can play if your internet goes out for a couple hours is an exaggeration.

1 minute ago, Liquid said:

I dont care, but it's also bullshit to say "who cares". At some point game makers presented a barrel to bend over and gamers dropped their pants an assumed the position. 

:D 

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

That's not really the games' being reliant.  That's the stores DRM coming into play.  Yes, EGS has issues when offline.  No argument from me there....

but as if to say there's nothing you can play if your internet goes out for a couple hours is an exaggeration.

Well one can always pull out a board game and start playing, or pencil and paper and play X's and O's.  

I never said you can't play anything without Internet connection  :| 

Well one can always pull out a board game and start playing, or pencil and paper and play X's and O's.  

I never said you can't play anything without Internet connection  :| 

My ISP experiences a service outage and I am unable to run any game because the store the games run from are offline and they validate the game is paid.  

:| 

Yeah, none of my Epic games run.    ???

Are you slow.  

epic store sucks thats why

Yeah, none of my Epic games run.    ???

Are you slow.  

I already said the Epic store has it's problems with that.  You never said EGS in your post.  There's literally TONS of other shit to play offline on PC though.

As I already said... this isn't a game issue... it's a Launcher/Store DRM issue.  Complain to Epic about it.

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

I already said the Epic store has it's problems with that.  You never said EGS in your post.  There's literally TONS of other shit to play offline on PC though.

As I already said... this isn't a game issue... it's a Launcher/Store DRM issue.  Complain to Epic about it.

I would if I had more than a mobile device for internet connection! :rage:

• Ben 1
37 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

I can play all my Xbox One, PS4 and PC games without an internet connection.

Dafuq are you talking about?

:viktor:

not if it’s a digital download, even if you’re logged into your account. You can’t even play single player games. At least on XB1

Edited by ghostz