Getting a new PC, recommend components ITT

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm too old for aliemware design . That looks like something for children 

Ah I see, I'd rather go with a known brand than a new one. 

As I understand it, the PS5 is probably using PCIe 4.0 for SSD, but even then there's PCIe SSDs on the market right now, but they're still relatively slow.   Its the bandwith controller comp

10 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Ok, im completely out of the loop when it comes to liquid based CPU coolers. Theres multiple sizes im not sure which would be compatible with Ryzen 7 and the x570 mobos.

The size has nothing to do with compatibility.  The size is referring to the radiator/fan setup.  I told you that a 240mm AIO will be plenty good for your processor.  That basically means 2 120mm fans.  So essentially, the "compatibility" comes down to the case you choose.  All of these AIO's should support both Ryzen and Intel CPUs (they'll come with the included brackets and whatever else you need).. so don't worry about that.. they'll also support all the motherboards as well.  The only thing you need to worry about is if your case has the room for the 240mm rad setup.

(I said 280mm before, but I changed it to 240mm... both sizes are there but 240mm will likely be supported by more cases)

Edited by Remij_
6 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

You sure about that? Im pretty sure I can build my current W10 license to a USB, and then image my new PC with it. As long as I wipe my current one and keep it offline, the transferred license will be legit.

I dunno.  I don't think so man.  Your current license will be tied to your MS account.  When you change a major component like a motherboard, you usually require a new activation because the key is registered to a specific hardware setup, usually dependent on the motherboard and CPU.

It'll basically see it as a different computer, and thus requiring another activation.

Maybe it will work though.  I guess there's no harm in trying and seeing what happens.  Worst that will happen is that it will tell you you have 30 days to activate.  Then you'll have to buy a key.

Edited by Remij_

I read some reviews and apparently they're not great to install, specifically because the brackets for ryzen mobos are poorly made. Price wise most of them seem to be in the $120+ range as well, which I feel is still too expensive. Ill probably stick to air cooling.

• Confused 1

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-U12S-Premium-Cooler-NF-F12/dp/B00C9EYVGY

Here's what I got. Small. Powerful. Cool. 90mm means that it'll fit your board no matter what. It's been run against AIO's like @nitric's and come out ahead for like half the price. If you don't like the color you can get an all-black edition which is 10 bucks more, but 10x better looking https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-U12S-chromax-Black-Single-Tower-Cooler/dp/B07Y88BNYZ/ref=pd_lpo_147_t_0/138-2221196-6166951?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07Y88BNYZ&pd_rd_r=1d0565ba-06ec-4fd1-8014-8932fb4248e5&pd_rd_w=wW1we&pd_rd_wg=1iEnk&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=TJ2A1CHDRK54J2PV4TXS&psc=1&refRID=TJ2A1CHDRK54J2PV4TXS

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Newmanspwn said:

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-U12S-Premium-Cooler-NF-F12/dp/B00C9EYVGY

Here's what I got. Small. Powerful. Cool. 90mm means that it'll fit your board no matter what. It's been run against AIO's like @nitric's and come out ahead for like half the price. If you don't like the color you can get an all-black edition which is 10 bucks more, but 10x better looking https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-U12S-chromax-Black-Single-Tower-Cooler/dp/B07Y88BNYZ/ref=pd_lpo_147_t_0/138-2221196-6166951?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07Y88BNYZ&pd_rd_r=1d0565ba-06ec-4fd1-8014-8932fb4248e5&pd_rd_w=wW1we&pd_rd_wg=1iEnk&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=TJ2A1CHDRK54J2PV4TXS&psc=1&refRID=TJ2A1CHDRK54J2PV4TXS

Nice, I actually have a few Noctua fans in my current build. Had no idea they made CPU coolers too.

24 minutes ago, Newmanspwn said:

And what do you mean Gaming and UE4? You're gonna be making a game?

Gonna dick around and prototype a few ideas and see how far I get. I doubt I can actually make a full game but we'll see. The bar is actually pretty low nowadays given the trash thats out there (especially on steam).

4 hours ago, Newmanspwn said:

AN AIO IS NOT EASIER TO INSTALL than an Air Cooler

It's not much harder either.

@Twinblade here's the deal.  You can buy the Air cooler Chupa recommended, it's a good cooler, but it will only keep it just a bit cooler max temp-wise than the stock cooler that comes with the CPU.  It will be a bit quieter as well.  If you can stand a little bit louder cooling, then just stick with the stock cooler and put that $60 into something else.  The stock cooler will actually probably do a better job of helping cool the motherboard VRMs as well due to the fact that the stock cooler blows downward through the heatsink and over the motherboard whereas the Noctua blows sideways through the heatsink.

I'm sticking with stock cooling until prices come down, then I'm going to buy a new AIO.

Just now, nitric said:

Also that link is talking about performance whereas I was talking about drivers if you’re delving into low level programming lol 

Yeah i don't plan to do anything at the kernel level, that would be too much lol.

@Twinblade If you get a Ryzen 7 3700X or 3800X, the included RGB Wraith Prism cooler will be more than enough for the 8 core, 65w/105w TDP CPU.  

I use a 240mm AIO currently on a 250w TDP CPU that has 32 cores.   Only now I'm looking to upgrade it because I want to do a little extreme overclocking.  

Now unless you want to do extreme overclocking  with that R7. The included Wraith Prism will do fine and will be easy to install.

• Like 1