Getting a new PC, recommend components ITT

Going for a PCIE 4.0 build, so the new mobo needs to be compatible with that format

I think i've already settled on which SSD to get. I've never heard of this manufacturer but the word of mouth has been pretty positive and its fairly inexpensive

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Internal-Maximum-Performance-SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-1TB/dp/B07TKYWB3K/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=techsiting1-20&linkId=eb3351949e54a33d46c0806903d92e92&language=en_US&th=1

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm too old for aliemware design . That looks like something for children 

Ah I see, I'd rather go with a known brand than a new one. 

As I understand it, the PS5 is probably using PCIe 4.0 for SSD, but even then there's PCIe SSDs on the market right now, but they're still relatively slow.   Its the bandwith controller comp

4 minutes ago, nitric said:

If you're spending $200> for an nvme, why wouldn't you go Samsung?

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MZ-V7S1T0B-AM-970-Plus/dp/B07MFZY2F2/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

This is what I have and it's incredible.

It's an awesome SSD no doubt, but it's a PCIe3.0 SSD which caps out at 3500MB/s Read.  The SSD he posted pushes 5000MB/s and is PCIe 4.0.

Samsung needs to release the 980 PRO/EVO with 6000MB/s.

@Twinblade there's also the AORUS

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-aorus-1tb/p/N82E16820009012

Edited by Remij_
3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

It's an awesome SSD no doubt, but it's a PCIe3.0 SSD which caps out at 3500MB/s Read.  The SSD he posted pushes 5000MB/s and is PCIe 4.0.

Samsung needs to release the 980 PRO/EVO with 6000MB/s.

@Twinblade there's also the AORUS

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-aorus-1tb/p/N82E16820009012

Ah I see, I'd rather go with a known brand than a new one. 

• Like 1

First of all congratulations on waiting to the worst time to build a PC.  Everything cost a lot more now that what it should be. 

But if money is object. 

I recommend you build AMD and go with a MSI X570 MEG ACE or MEG Unify motherboard, and pair it with a Ryzen 7 3700X.  

Now if you are going to use a powerful GPU, like a RTX 2080 Ti then replace that Ryzen 7 3700X with a 3800X.  You probably should wait a few more months because AMD is about to release an even higher clock refresh that will greatly benefit RTX 2080 Ti and Titan class GPUs.  

• Thanks 1
Just now, The Mother Fucker said:

First of all congratulations on waiting to the worst time to build a PC.  Everything cost a lot more now that what it should be. 

But if money is object. 

I recommend you build AMD and go with a MSI X570 MEG ACE or MEG Unify motherboard, and pair it with a Ryzen 7 3700X.  

Now if you are going to use a powerful GPU, like a RTX 2080 Ti then replace that Ryzen 7 3700X with a 3800X.  You probably should wait a few more months because AMD is about to release an even higher clock refresh that will greatly benefit RTX 2080 Ti and Titan class GPUs.  

Gotta agree though, now is absolutely the worst time.  Everything is overpriced and/or out of stock lol.

yeah, I was looking at my laptop early this morning when I got off work. I haven't used it in a week, and I had it on the Amazon page when I was looking up MSI X570 MEG Unify. I was going to initially link it to your thread @Remij_ but never did.  

The price was still showing $374 which I'm not sure if that's the msrp, but as soon as I hit refresh, I got hit with the reality of today. Unavailable. 

Looks like it's true, folks used their $1200 stimulus checks and went wild on electronics. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

wtf all the x570 boards are sold out :cat:

Yep.  I literally experienced the same thing you just did.  MOBOs, high quality RAM are all sold out.  People are buying Ryzen like crazy.  So all the high quality RAM is getting scooped up too.

VirginTech 36k DPI mouse

FPSKingBattleRoyalTopSurvivor biololuminescent & soda proof keyboard

TokyoNeon2099 Tower case

Lamborgayni gamer seat with automatic dildo compartment hole

Incelsior 16 x 32GB memory

IBMassive infinite-core CPU

Soyny PS5 SSD BLM edition 

Moobs Titsan TREX GPU 

Fatrolls  thermal paste

Mobile Russian nuclear power plant power supply

Can't go wrong with these

• dead 1
3 minutes ago, The Mother Fucker said:

yeah, I was looking at my laptop early this morning when I got off work. I haven't used it in a week, and I had it on the Amazon page when I was looking up MSI X570 MEG Unify. I was going to initially link it to your thread @Remij_ but never did.  

The price was still showing $374 which I'm not sure if that's the msrp, but as soon as I hit refresh, I got hit with the reality of today. Unavailable. 

Looks like it's true, folks used their $1200 stimulus checks and went wild on electronics. 

That's exactly it.  People are using their stimulus checks and buying a bunch of shit.  That plus COVID affecting channels there for a while set things up to be like this.

That's why I feel I got lucky with what I got.  I got an acceptable price for a good quality MOBO which I wanted.  I was almost ready to give up and then I found it with like 1 or 2 in stock.  Even then though it's coming from the states, which is why I have to wait till Tuesday next week for it to get here.

On the plus side though, I got my CPU, RAM, and some other smaller things earlier today.  So I'm just waiting on the MOBO and then I can build.

As for other components, well, Ryzen 3700X is an easy recommendation.  Depends on other stuff you want to do in addition to playing games.  I basically went with the 3900X only because I plan on doing some work with it as well, and having good multi-task performance will be a plus.  I have a suspicion that in the future having a few extra cores over the consoles in addition to higher clock speeds is going to help.

But for gaming purely, the 3700X should easily power through next gen games.  Engines will be better coded to take advantage of that CPU, far and above what the games do that are out right now.. and Ryzen CPUs have some very interesting functionality built in (not currently being utilized) which I think will give it a BIG advantage over current Intel processors (even with the same core count) in how it could possibly interface with SSDs for DMA.. which could be important for MS' upcoming DirectStorage API.

As for GPUs, 2070S or better will have you sitting nice and pretty, but I recommend waiting for the 30 series from Nvidia or seeing what Big Navi brings.  They're going to be far and away better than 20 series and like I've said before, I'm expecting the 3070 to be the same or slightly faster than a 2080ti... so.. definitely wait on that.

With Ryzen, I suggest going with a 3600Mhz RAM kit with as low CAS latency as possible...CL16 or 17 depending on what you can find, as well as 32GB of it.  You're going to want 32GB for next gen games, trust me on that.  3200Mhz kits are fine as well, but if you go with 3200Mhz, make sure the CL is as low as possible.  With Ryzen it makes a difference.  The Infinity Fabric interconnect speed of the CPU is tied directly to RAM frequency.  With 3600mhz, you get an easy 1:1 1800mhz Fclock (fabric clock) which will give you the absolute best performance from your Ryzen CPU.

Edited by Remij_
  • Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

As for other components, well, Ryzen 3700X is an easy recommendation.  Depends on other stuff you want to do in addition to playing games.  I basically went with the 3900X only because I plan on doing some work with it as well, and having good multi-task performance will be a plus.  I have a suspicion that in the future having a few extra cores over the consoles in addition to higher clock speeds is going to help.

But for gaming purely, the 3700X should easily power through next gen games.  Engines will be better coded to take advantage of that CPU, far and above what the games do that are out right now.. and Ryzen CPUs have some very interesting functionality built in (not currently being utilized) which I think will give it a BIG advantage over current Intel processors (even with the same core count) in how it could possibly interface with SSDs for DMA.. which could be important for MS' upcoming DirectStorage API.

As for GPUs, 2070S or better will have you sitting nice and pretty, but I recommend waiting for the 30 series from Nvidia or seeing what Big Navi brings.  They're going to be far and away better than 20 series and like I've said before, I'm expecting the 3070 to be the same or slightly faster than a 2080ti... so.. definitely wait on that.

With Ryzen, I suggest going with a 3600Mhz RAM kit with as low CAS latency as possible...CL16 or 17 depending on what you can find, as well as 32GB of it.  You're going to want 32GB for next gen games, trust me on that.  3200Mhz kits are fine as well, but if you go with 3200Mhz, make sure the CL is as low as possible.  With Ryzen it makes a difference.  The Infinity Fabric interconnect speed of the CPU is tied directly to RAM frequency.  With 3600mhz, you get an easy 1:1 1800mhz Fclock (fabric clock) which will give you the absolute best performance from your Ryzen CPU.

Im getting deeper into UE4 development so I definitely need a powerful CPU that reduces Build/Compile times. So im hoping the 3700X would be good enough for that and not just general gaming.

2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Im getting deeper into UE4 development so I definitely need a powerful CPU that reduces Build/Compile times. So im hoping the 3700X would be good enough for that and not just general gaming.

I'm sure a 3700X would be a decent improvement.  What do you have right now again?

2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I think a i5-4690k devil's canyon. Shit is pretty old by now.

Oh man.. yea, you're going to have 4x the threads with a 3700X lol.. The 4690K is only 4core/4thread... so no Hyperthreading (SMT for AMD)... the 3700X is 8core/16thread... that will be a BIG difference.  

Sounds like the 3700X will fit your needs perfectly man.

Edited by Remij_
  • Upvote 1

Im only upgrading my pc if I can just drop in a new gpu and a new ssd . Those 2 components alone will cost more than an entire xsx or ps5. Shit is a rip off. 

2 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

Im only upgrading my pc if I can just drop in a new gpu and a new ssd . Those 2 components alone will cost more than an entire xsx or ps5. Shit is a rip off. 

You'll be fine for the first few years easily.  The 8700 is still an awesome processor.  6core/12thread.. it's got high frequencies so it'll perform well.  Later on in the gen though it might start to show some age.

PCIe3.0 SSD with 3.5GB/s should be fine for next gen honestly.  That's Series X SSD performance right there.

Edited by Remij_