Getting a new PC, recommend components ITT

Damn, Samsung ALMOST had the right idea in mind with the new line of PC monitors they just put up for pre-order today. They're pretty slick, but for that amount of money, I don't think they should be 1440p monitors.

Also, they're going a little overboard with their curvature. They say its based on the curvature of the eye, but the curvature is pretty big that they are talking about one eyeball staring at the monitor from the middle.

Samsung’s monstrous Odyssey gaming monitors priced and dated

Eric Abent - Jun 15, 2020, 9:16 am CDT
Samsung’s monstrous Odyssey gaming monitors priced and dated

Back at CES 2020 – before the coronavirus pandemic brought trade shows like that to a screeching halt – Samsung unveiled two new curved gaming monitors: the Odyssey G7 and G9. At the time, we didn’t have any pricing or release details about either monitor, but that’s all changing today. Not only do we now know the price of the G7 and G9, but we also know that both are on the horizon.

If you need a bit of a refresher, the Odyssey G9 is unquestionably the star of this particular show. With a display that clocks in at 49 inches, the G9 can definitely be described as a monster of a monitor. Both the G7 and the G9 have a 1000R curvature, but that seems to be much more pronounced in the G9 given its size.

2020-Odyssey-Gaming-Monitors-G9_product2

Both monitors also use Samsung’s own QLED panel, feature a refresh rate of 240Hz, and a response time of 1ms. On the G7, we’re looking at a resolution of 2,560 x 1,440, while the G9 has a resolution of 5,120 x 1,400. Both monitors support NVIDIA G-Sync as well, so if you’ve got an NVIDIA card in your rig, you’ll be able to tap into that.

2020-Odyssey-Gaming-Monitors-G7_product2

As far as features go, there really aren’t a ton of differences between these two monitors. The G7 supports HDR 600 while the G9 turns it up to HDR 1000. There are differences in brightness as well, with the G7 sporting a typical brightness of 350cd/m2 and the G9’s typical brightness coming in at 1000cd/m2. Finally, there’s the obvious difference in aspect ratio too – given its smaller size, the G7 has an aspect ratio of 16:9, while the G9’s massive size gives it an aspect ratio of 32:9.

Regardless of the monitor you’ll choose, you’re going to be paying a lot of money. The Odyssey G7 comes in 27-inch and 32-inch models that run $699.99 and $799.99 respectively, but compared to the $1,699.99 price tag for the G9, those G7 prices feel downright palatable. Both monitors are up for pre-order today from Samsung.com and will be launching on July 13th.

I heard that Xoami is going to come out with some monitors that are feature-rich, at around $300. I might just go with a Chinese or Korean no-name monitor.

• Like 1
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm too old for aliemware design . That looks like something for children 

Ah I see, I'd rather go with a known brand than a new one. 

As I understand it, the PS5 is probably using PCIe 4.0 for SSD, but even then there's PCIe SSDs on the market right now, but they're still relatively slow.   Its the bandwith controller comp

3 hours ago, Alphonse said:

You should get this. I think it's the latest Alienware

ps5_hardware_render.0.jpg

I'm too old for aliemware design . That looks like something for children 

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, jehurey said:

Damn, Samsung ALMOST had the right idea in mind with the new line of PC monitors they just put up for pre-order today. They're pretty slick, but for that amount of money, I don't think they should be 1440p monitors.

Also, they're going a little overboard with their curvature. They say its based on the curvature of the eye, but the curvature is pretty big that they are talking about one eyeball staring at the monitor from the middle.

I heard that Xoami is going to come out with some monitors that are feature-rich, at around $300. I might just go with a Chinese or Korean no-name monitor.

Thing is, they know they can get away with it.  1440p Ultrawides are the most common because it's really hard to drive 2160p Ultrawides.  That's a HUGE difference in pixels.

I'm gonna look into these monitors, they seem quite nice.

3 hours ago, jehurey said:

Nah, you can only get middling 2018-level PC hardware for that amount of money.

You'd be lucky if it has one actual next-gen feature like SSD storage over 5,000 MB/s.

Lol at you pretending you are gonna spend 1500 plus on a pc . You'll be mad budget about it , coupon clipping away .

3 hours ago, lynux3 said:

It's more of a cabling convenience thing. I'd go M.2 over traditional SATA any day. Less cables, less fuckery. 

Yea, it's not even a contest.  I'm gonna buy a 500TB 3.5GB/s M.2 drive for the OS, and a 1TB Samsung 980PRO/EVO 6.5GB/s drive for games when they release.  Still going to keep my 2 SATA drives though, because why the fuck not.  They're plenty fast for almost anything.  But FOR SURE my 4TB storage drive is getting the axe.  I don't want no fucking spinning drives and seek times in my PC anymore lol.

7 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

Lol at you pretending you are gonna spend 1500 plus on a pc . You'll be mad budget about it , coupon clipping away .

Well you're both right, but ultimately wrong.

The way I've calculated so far, everything I've planned to buy, before the video card, is going to cost me about $950.

So it depends on how much nVidia charges for a RTX 3070, or if they're really competitive and give a compelling price for a RTX 3080. It'll be right around $1,500.

Except my $1,500 is going to be very good, and possibly better than what you can build at $1,700-$1,800

And then I also plan on buying a new monitor, so that's its own separate cost.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I like how the guy who couldn't open a RAR file thinks he's going to have any cred in a PC-building thread. :drake:

I like how the guy that has to borrow his nephews Ditch is telling us he is gonna spend 1500 dollars on a PC ROFL

So there's a rumor that the 4000 Series Zen 3 CPUs are delayed until 2021......... because current Ryzen are still selling too good.  That's literally what they said the reason was lol.  AMD doesn't see a reason to release it right now, and the rerelease of the 3000 "XT" chips are just the same chips with a 100Mhz frequency boost.  That's basically all AMD is doing to counter Intel's desperate 10X00K CPUs lmao. 

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/amds-upcoming-next-gen-ryzen-4000-series-zen-3-cpus-reportedly-delayed-to-2021/

That kinda sucks, but I know most of us figured that was going to happen.  Makes me happy I decided to get my 3900X now though.

In other news, apparently Jim Keller resigned from Intel lmao... so that's not a good thing for them lol.  He was essentially the man behind Ryzen when he was at AMD... so I wonder what's going to happen there?  It would be hilarious if he decides to go back to AMD.

Edited by Remij_
14 minutes ago, jehurey said:

even jonb knows that he lost his nerve and got butthurt.  don't know why he came into to this thread, if not to just derail it.

I know you dont forget you are at SW

2 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

I know you dont forget you are at SW

i don't forget that you are so butthurt that you really can't help yourself.

But I always make sure to remember that I'm not responsible for you being a bitch.  I just call it, like I see it.

Not my job to fix you. I even responded to your first lame remark with an actual answer about hardware, so don't try to apply blame to me, this is all on you.

3 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

If Jim Keller peaced out you know Intel is fucked up. 

Yea, who knows what the fuck is going on there... something has to be up.

One thing is for sure though, they've milked 14nm as far as they possibly can.  There's nothing left for them there... they have to get something new out or they are finished lmao.