The Matrix Awakens demo is pretty sick.

The city is 4,138 km wide and 4.968 km long, slightly larger than the size of downtown Los Angeles
The city surface is 15.79 km[SUP]2[/SUP]
The city perimeter is 14.519 km long
There are 260 km of roads in the city
There are 512 km of sidewalk in the city
There are 1,248 intersections in the city
There are 45,073 parked cars, of which 38,146 are drivable and destructible
There are 17,000 simulated traffic vehicles on the road that are destructible
7,000 buildings
27,848 lamp posts on the street side only
12,422 sewer holes
Almost 10 million unique and duplicated assets were created to make the city
The entire world is lit by only the sun, sky and emissive materials on meshes. No light sources were placed for the tens of thousands of street lights and headlights. In night mode, nearly all lighting comes from the millions of emissive building windows
35,000 simulated MetaHuman pedestrians
Average polygon count? 7000k buildings made of 1000s of assets and each asset could be up to millions of polygons so we have several billions of polygons to make up just the buildings of the city

I don't think we'll see full games reach this fidelity any time soon but its pretty impressive.

7 hours ago, jehurey said:

Maybe the movie studio developed the assets for the entire city, and Epic simply transferred over those asset libraries to the demo.

There's no way they would recreate that many buildings for a demo.

This article explains it:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/12/the-matrix-awakens-is-2021s-must-play-flex-of-current-gen-console-power/

Most of the city is procedurally generated by AI. 

Edited by Vini

Yeah, it has the same odd things as with other Unreal 5 demos.

The characters move a little stiff, the physics are a bit stiff and a little hollow.

But its pretty amazing. The Spiderman games also have real-time reflections, and they have larger windows on buildings to allow those reflections to be easily seen.

But this Matrix demo had real-time reflections on the automobiles that looked pretty damn close to what I see with Cyberpunk on my PC with everything cranked up.

For the PS5 to handle that is pretty cool. And when you are high up in the air and look down to the streets, they do a great job of still keeping all the cars and most of the pedestrians in view. Those images look like genuine photos.

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

Yeah, it has the same odd things as with other Unreal 5 demos.

The characters move a little stiff, the physics are a bit stiff and a little hollow.

But its pretty amazing. The Spiderman games also have real-time reflections, and they have larger windows on buildings to allow those reflections to be easily seen.

But this Matrix demo had real-time reflections on the automobiles that looked pretty damn close to what I see with Cyberpunk on my PC with everything cranked up.

For the PS5 to handle that is pretty cool. And when you are high up in the air and look down to the streets, they do a great job of still keeping all the cars and most of the pedestrians in view. Those images look like genuine photos.

yeah, it looks good on the ground. however, it's definitely impressive when you are in the sky, admiring the photo-quality scale.

1 hour ago, Team 2019 said:

Spiderman runs at the same resolve but at 60fps and ray tracing. Just a thought. 

Spider-Man doesn't look anywhere near this fidelity, texture quality, etc it's not even remotely close

1 hour ago, Vini said:

Spider-Man doesn't look anywhere near this fidelity, texture quality, etc it's not even remotely close

Miles Morales is also cross gen as well. Real comparison will be with Spider-Man 2 in 2023 or whenever it comes out.

1 hour ago, Vini said:

Miles Morales is 4K and has significantly better reflections, due to ray tracing. The textures and surface materials are high quality too. You are overselling this matrix demo lol. It’s definitely better looking, overall, especially when you see everything from a bird’s eye view (the scale is unparalleled), but you can see signs of image reconstruction when you are walking the streets and the reflections are dated af. The puddles don’t look good. 

26 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

Miles Morales is 4K and has significantly better reflections, due to ray tracing. The textures and surface materials are high quality too. You are overselling this matrix demo lol. It’s definitely better looking, overall, especially when you see everything from a bird’s eye view (the scale is unparalleled), but you can see signs of image reconstruction when you are walking the streets and the reflections are dated af. The puddles don’t look good. 

You're overselling ray tracing. Ray tracing is a easy way to dress up a turd nowadays, it does nothing for textures or fidelity which is what matters most. Not that MM is a turd but you get my point. 

This shit looks real, Miles looks like a video game with reflective puddles

Edited by Vini
7 minutes ago, Vini said:

You're overselling ray tracing. Ray tracing is a easy way to dress up a turd nowadays, it does nothing for textures or fidelity which is what matters most. Not that MM is a turd but you get my point. 

:drake:

2 minutes ago, Vini said:

You're overselling ray tracing. Ray tracing is a easy way to dress up a turd nowadays, it does nothing for textures or fidelity which is what matters most. 

I agree that matrix looks better and is “next gen”. The speed you can navigate through the city, and its scale, are unlike anything I’ve seen.  But miles is still extremely impressive, especially being a cross-gen game. Hopefully, UE5 has a reflection solution because it looks jarring, in terms of how dated it is.