Ampere Analyst: PS5 has sold 21 million units worldwide compared to Xbox's 13.8 million (TLHBFR!)

AmpereCapture.JPG.ab5c85f2c134a740cae725600a7f096e.JPG

That puts the LBox far  behind the VGChartz overly optimistic estimate of 16 million units sold :mj:

The gap continues to grow as we speak as lemshits hope that markets that have never given a shit about Xbox in the past suddenly have a change of heart because of the slight PS5 price increase :mroff:

ezgif-3-150ed91d0cd6.gif.e5c40a83e66cbb6cff528a620a69e3a2.gif.67070e9006a29f47a2ea2b78ad1132c1.gif

Edited by FIREPOWER
  • FIREPOWER changed the title to Ampere Analyst: PS5 has sold 21 million units worldwide compared to Xbox's 13.8 million (TLHBFR!)
10 minutes ago, Remij said:

After all that hype too :feelsbadman:

Yup. I know covid and supply chain issues fucked up a lot of expectations. This is the first gen that hasn’t fully wow’d me. Yeah, ratchet is stunning and horizon 2 (and forza horizon 5) look fantastic. However, most games just look like ps4 pro games with some added bells and whistles. If I was as into gaming as I used to be, I’d go PC all of the way. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

Yup. I know covid and supply chain issues fucked up a lot of expectations. This is the first gen that hasn’t fully wow’d me. Yeah, ratchet is stunning and horizon 2 (and forza horizon 5) look fantastic. However, most games just look like ps4 pro games with some added bells and whistles. If I was as into gaming as I used to be, I’d go PC all of the way. 

Yeah it's been a stupidly long feeling cross generational period.

Good things are coming though... but yea, Covid really fucked Sony over considering the hype they had at the start.

And yea, I'm glad to just have a single platform I focus on now.  Both MS and Sony's games come to PC now...  PC + Steam Deck is a seriously awesome combo.  Throw in a Switch on top of that for Nintendo games, and you've got access to almost everything out there.

Times are changing fast too.

43 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yeah it's been a stupidly long feeling cross generational period.

Good things are coming though... but yea, Covid really fucked Sony over considering the hype they had at the start.

And yea, I'm glad to just have a single platform I focus on now.  Both MS and Sony's games come to PC now...  PC + Steam Deck is a seriously awesome combo.  Throw in a Switch on top of that for Nintendo games, and you've got access to almost everything out there.

Times are changing fast too.

Do you think steam deck can be a pc alternative (with medium settings)? 

14 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

Do you think steam deck can be a pc alternative (with medium settings)? 

Not quite yet no.. the foundation for that is being built though.  There's still a few things holding it back, in its current form.

-While most new games work right out of the box, it's not a guarantee that a game you want to play will be supported yet.  They're working on this though and literally every week the list grows.

-The hardware is incredibly capable.. and medium settings is EASY for most games.. but for the larger more ambitious games, you have to dial things in.  It's not as convenient as a console is yet... but it's getting incredibly close. 

-Most of their focus has gone into the portable side of the experience.. the Docked aspect is still not up to snuff when you compare them.  Things like resolution switching, certain UI things, and other various little things aren't as polished as they should be, and need to be.  They're working on this stuff though.. so it's coming.  When I compare the portable experience from when I got the Deck, to where it is now... it's not even close.  It's sooo much better.  It's improving rapidly.. and the more people that get them and provide feedback make it easier for Valve to make the improvements as well.. so you could say it's still building up Steam :downs:

Basically the Deck as it is right now is perfect as a companion device to the PC.  If you buy a game for PC, and it works amazingly on the Deck... it's awesome to have this flexibility.  But as an only device, the dynamic changes a bit.  You have to be more accepting of certain aspects of what their goals are and where the device is at currently.  They're absolutely working towards that goal, and you can already see a clear path there... but it will take some time yet IMO.  By the time the next Deck iteration comes (if it does) with much improved hardware... SteamOS and compatibility and features will align and make it a truly viable PC alternative.. it's just not quite there yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Remij said:

Not quite yet no.. the foundation for that is being built though.  There's still a few things holding it back, in its current form.

-While most new games work right out of the box, it's not a guarantee that a game you want to play will be supported yet.  They're working on this though and literally every week the list grows.

-The hardware is incredibly capable.. and medium settings is EASY for most games.. but for the larger more ambitious games, you have to dial things in.  It's not as convenient as a console is yet... but it's getting incredibly close. 

-Most of their focus has gone into the portable side of the experience.. the Docked aspect is still not up to snuff when you compare them.  Things like resolution switching, certain UI things, and other various little things aren't as polished as they should be, and need to be.  They're working on this stuff though.. so it's coming.  When I compare the portable experience from when I got the Deck, to where it is now... it's not even close.  It's sooo much better.  It's improving rapidly.. and the more people that get them and provide feedback make it easier for Valve to make the improvements as well.. so you could say it's still building up Steam :downs:

Basically the Deck as it is right now is perfect as a companion device to the PC.  If you buy a game for PC, and it works amazingly on the Deck... it's awesome to have this flexibility.  But as an only device, the dynamic changes a bit.  You have to be more accepting of certain aspects of what their goals are and where the device is at currently.  They're absolutely working towards that goal, and you can already see a clear path there... but it will take some time yet IMO.  By the time the next Deck iteration comes (if it does) with much improved hardware... SteamOS and compatibility and features will align and make it a truly viable PC alternative.. it's just not quite there yet.

Tom’s Hardware has a nice quote for it: “To use a turn of phrase, the PSP, Vita and Switch walked so the Steam Deck could run.”

• Like 1
On 2022-08-26 at 6:23 AM, -GD-X said:

Tom’s Hardware has a nice quote for it: “To use a turn of phrase, the PSP, Vita and Switch walked so the Steam Deck could run.”

I definitely agree.. although I'd put it more like "The PSP, Vita, and 3DS walked so the Switch and Steam Deck could run."

The Switch broke down the barrier of handhelds being a portable device that played handheld games..... to being a portable device that just plays games, period.  Suddenly, there's no more distinction that has to be made.  It's a full fledged device.. and the Steam Deck follows that on the PC side of the equation.

Also, Valve just released a book about the Steam Deck and they confirmed that there will already be newer iterations and future hardware revisions.. so this isn't going to just be a one off device, and then forgotten about.  I think they're finding some success here, which is great to see.

https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-confirms-there-will-be-next-gen-steam-decks-more-open-and-more-capable-than-the-first-version/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=socialflow

"In the future," it reads, "Valve will follow up on this product with improvements and iterations to hardware and software, bringing new versions of Steam Deck to market.

"This is a multi-generational product line. Valve will support Steam Deck and SteamOS well into the foreseeable future. We will learn from the Steam community about new uses for our hardware that we haven’t thought of yet, and we will build new versions to be even more open and capable than the first version of Steam Deck has been."

So yea, by the time the next revision comes, they will have improved everything massively from where it currently is and where it was at launch.  It's going to be a much better proposition by that time.  The potential with this type of device is off the charts really.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Remij said:

I definitely agree.. although I'd put it more like "The PSP, Vita, and 3DS walked so the Switch and Steam Deck could run."

The Switch broke down the barrier of handhelds being a portable device that played handheld games..... to being a portable device that just plays games, period.  Suddenly, there's no more distinction that has to be made.  It's a full fledged device.. and the Steam Deck follows that on the PC side of the equation.

Also, Valve just released a book about the Steam Deck and they confirmed that there will already be newer iterations and future hardware revisions.. so this isn't going to just be a one off device, and then forgotten about.  I think they're finding some success here, which is great to see.

https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-confirms-there-will-be-next-gen-steam-decks-more-open-and-more-capable-than-the-first-version/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=socialflow

So yea, by the time the next revision comes, they will have improved everything massively from where it currently is and where it was at launch.  It's going to be a much better proposition by that time.  The potential with this type of device is off the charts really.

And the best part is when they bring out a Deck 2, Deck 1 will still be getting games so long as it can run them. Unlike consoles handhelds where development dries up the moment the successor is out.

1 hour ago, JonbX said:

Deck 1 can barely run current games LOL what is it going to run when Deck 2 comes out (and struggles to run those current games)

It can play plenty, and when it struggles it will end up like switch being mostly used for indie games, and it will still be a beast for emulation. I know you dont play PC games since you cant even open rar files but PC is so much more than just AAA open world cinematic games.